My [dimmable] 5 watt from Wayne - *Pics Added*

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lastnight, I was up until 1:00 am working on my newest mod. Using a 5 watt Luxeon that I purchased from Wayne of Elektrolumens, as well as a 30mm optic, I was able to get a fairly nice looking beam, in between a spot and a flood. The flashlight isn't all that attractive, but it's more of an experiment than anything else. I used one of those cheap thin metal flashlights from Walmart (a green one), and a computer processor heatsink. A toggle switch turns it on, and a dial that allows dimming. It goes from very bright down to just a glow from the emitter part. As soon as I am able to get the use of a digital camera, I'll post some pics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

StarPhox

Newly Enlightened
Re: My [dimmable] 5 watt from Wayne is completed!

That's nifty. I suppose dimming it wouldn't really conserve power since you're just increasing the resistance...but there have to be some practical applications for dimming.

I wonder if you could put the dial in the tailcap of a Mag-Lite (or other 4d), do a 3d mod and make the tailcap rotate or do something similar...that way you don't have a big knob sticking out the side of the light.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, that would be a great idea! However, I haven't the expertise to do such a thing. I'm just not set up for it. What I have is strictly an experimental light. What's neat about this light, though, is that a dimmable light IS a good idea because sometimes a light can be TOO bright for the application. I can have the brightness of a 5mm LED, a 1 watt luxeon running off 2 cells, a 1 watt luxeon running off 3 cells, and then have the extra light output that is offered by the 5 watt. For this flashlight, function greatly outweighs form. As soon as I can borrow a digital camera, I'll let you all see.

StarPhox

Newly Enlightened

I look forward to photos. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JSWrightOC

Enlightened

You could make the dimming action save battery power. Build a pulse-width modulation circuit and use that to adjust your brightness. Extremely efficient, simple, and you still maintain full adjustment range. Certain designs involving the 555 work well, as well as an astable oscillator built from two CMOS inverting gates, such as a 4049.

StarPhox

Newly Enlightened

You could probably put the whole thing in a battery 'dummy'/spacer and then put the dial at the back (or wherever).

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

JSWrightOC . . . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif I'm afraid that I don't have the knowlege to even understand your suggestion. I'm a novice. You electronics wizards are amazing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

I just did a VERY simple thing to dim the light, and don't even know how it will affect the LED or the battery life. I used a potentiometer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

StarPhox

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Orion said:
JSWrightOC . . . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif I'm afraid that I don't have the knowlege to even understand your suggestion. I'm a novice. You electronics wizards are amazing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Frankly I only have a *vague* idea of what he said, but I got the gist of it and I understand that it would probably fit in a film canister. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Half the people on this board are electrical engineers, I think.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Abe Furburger

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
StarPhox said:
I suppose dimming it wouldn't really conserve power since you're just increasing the resistance...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, actually - it WOULD conserve power - as the greater the series resistance in a load, the less power drawn.

EG: 1v across 1ohm = 1amp (=1watt)
1v across 2ohm = 0.5amp (=0.5watt) - twice the resistance, half the power load.

Just setting it straight.

Abe.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Orion,

Nice mod. It's always good to be the first. Now where's Darrell? (he was always bellyaching about how there was no dimmable led mod available. Harrumphh)...

StarPhox

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Abe Furburger said:

Well, actually - it WOULD conserve power - as the greater the series resistance in a load, the less power drawn.
Just setting it straight.

Abe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Goes to show how much I know. Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

I should have some pictures to post by tomorrow (3/28/03). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here are the pictures. A reminder that this is experimental, so it's appearance isn't what I'm showing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

All pics are were done in my offices darkened bathroom (sorry). On the left is an Arc LS with a used 123, so it isn't quite as bright as it could be. Also, the Arc DOES have more of a blueish tint, but not as much as the pics show. The apparent 'split screen' look is because one flashlight is shining into one stall, and the other is shining into the other, but they are both in the same shot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Just to show what it looks like:
fc6ebff6.jpg

The comparison pics are darker than actual.

This first comparison is very dark, but it was just showing the flashlight dimmed to about what a single 5mm would be.
fc6ec005.jpg

Perhaps like a 1 watt direct drive on 2 cells:
fc6ec04b.jpg

Below full power, perhaps like a 1 watt direct drive on 3 cells:
fc6ec009.jpg

Finally, full power:
fc6ebfff.jpg

I hope you all enjoyed the pics. It has been a fun project. Being able to go from the output of a CMG Infinity, to CMG Infinity Ultra, to a Direct drive 1 watt 2 cell, to a direct drive 1 watt 3 cell, to full power (which is probably not more than 7.5 volts. Anyway, it's been fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

Once again, I must apologize for the bathroom shots. It was the only dark place to take the pictures, and I don't think my co-worker would have let me take his digital camera home. I had to apologize again, next time I post pictures, I'll try to use a better location. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic

Hey, it's a perfect location... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm sure our residential TOLIET-EXPERT Craig
fc6a61cd.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif will appreciate it ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

d'mo

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Orion said:
Once again, I must apologize for the bathroom shots

[/ QUOTE ]

Craig would be so proud.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

hehehehe Maybe someone should send Craig this link so he can appreciate the fascilities. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I only wish I could have gotten it a little brighter. Maxing at just over 7 volts doesn't allow the 5 watt luxeon to truly shine *pun intended*. But as an experiment, I have to say that I am fully satisfied with the project.