Great Host For A Cree Q5 mod

jayrob

Enlightened
Great modification of an already bright LED and driver! Here's the flashlight I am talking about:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4171
As I was browsing through all of the cool stuff at DealExtreme, I saw that Cree now has their new, super bright Q5 LED emitter:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2394
So, I looked for a circuit which would supply the required 1000mA at 3.7 volts and found this:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7425
They both fit right in place of their counter parts in a matter of a few minutes and just a little solder. Also, with this circuit, you can use the 3.6 volt rechargeables. The result is 228 lumens at a nice wide throw! This is going to be your favorite flashlight. I have many super bright LED flashlights and even a 500 lumen xenon. But for the size vs brightness, I will be reaching for this little guy every time.
Jay

Added information: This driver has 5 different modes. Using the MXDL, the modes can be changed from the on position, by slightly pressing the power button. If you slightly press the tail switch, from the on position, until the light turns off (but not enough to click the switch), then let off, it will be in 'low' mode. Do it again and it will be in 'slow strobe' (flashes about 3 times a sec.). Next is fast strobe (about 5 or 6 times a sec.). And finally, the 'SOS' mode which flashes about once every 8 seconds. But it works normally as if it had only the high mode in normal use. You have to make it switch modes. I like that it seems to always come on in 'high' mode because that's what I like most!...
Jay

Last edited:

jayrob

Enlightened
This is the best host I have found for the Cree mod so far: (This mod uses the Cree Q5, powered with an AMC7135/1050mA driver) This first picture shows the size comparison with the above host...
best cree1.jpg

The reasons I like it best are:
1. It uses 3 X AA batteries. So, were talking huge capacity, and longer run time. And, not to mention, you can use the Lithium AAs, which have like a 10 year shelf life!
best cree3.jpg

2. Check out how the emitter fits up into the reflector!
best cree2.jpg

3. The light is nice and solid, well built, and a great 'feel' in your hand. Even the tail switch is metal!
4. Last, but not least, probably because of the way the reflector is fit, along with the battery/driver combo, this baby is noticeably brighter!
best cree4.jpg

Here's where I got the light:
http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Brightest-A...yZ106987QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Although the light itself cost a few bucks more, the driver is only about a buck fifty. (but you have to buy 10) http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1885
But trust me, if you held this light in your hand, and tried it out, you would not care about spending the extra money! It's AWESOME!

I have done 4 different configurations of the Cree Q5 modification so far. From left to right:
Cree%20mods.jpg

1. The 5 mode driver with 2 X RCR123s (The CR123 3.0 lithium primaries work good too if you want the long shelf life)
2. AMC7135/1050mA driver with 1 X 18560 in a 'drilled out' MXDL.
3. AMC driver in a 3 X AAA host. (Good capacity, and lithium shelf life)
4. AMC driver in a 3 X AA host. (Awesome capacity, and lithium shelf life)

I have really been favoring the AMC7135/1050mA drivers!
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1885
The recommend input voltage is 3.6V~4.5V. So, you can use a variety of battery configurations. You can never have too many good lights. One for the work bench, tool box, tackle box, glove box, night stand, etc... That's why I like the lithium batteries. No more of those, 'going to use a flashlight when you really need one', only to find out that the batteries are dead, or they leaked inside...
Jay

Last edited:

worldedit

Enlightened
Great mods, i especially like the "big one". Do you know if a D cell will fit in there? That would put runtime to the next level :)

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
Wow, great information! Please welcome to this forum. I really was surprised to see that you are just joining. Mods need to bestow "flashaholic" status on you right away :)

- Vikas

jayrob

Enlightened
Great mods, i especially like the "big one". Do you know if a D cell will fit in there? That would put runtime to the next level :)

Thanks! I don't think even a C cell would fit because the driver needs between 3.6-4.5 volts. But, the 3 X AA cells give a lg. capacity! Probably about 4 or 5 hrs. run time.

Wow, great information! Please welcome to this forum. I really was surprised to see that you are just joining. Mods need to bestow "flashaholic" status on you right away :)

- Vikas

Thanks for the complement!
Jay

worldedit

Enlightened
I thought about if there was enough space for a D cell. Would replace the driver in that case of course.

Bigsy

Enlightened
I don't get anywhere near 1a from that DX driver (7425) at 3.7v+, was really disappointed in it actually.

Waiting on the 1.2a driver from kaidomain, hopefully this will give me the lumen's I'm after.

RecycledElectron

Newly Enlightened
You can get 3.7 volt "C" and "D" cell rechargeable lithium batteries. If a "C" would fit, it probably would have more capacity.

jayrob

Enlightened
I thought about if there was enough space for a D cell. Would replace the driver in that case of course.

Oh, sorry world...

You can get 3.7 volt "C" and "D" cell rechargeable lithium batteries. If a "C" would fit, it probably would have more capacity.

After reading these posts, I did go and check if either a C or D cell would fit. The D cell is just a little too large in diameter. The C is sloppy and short. But could work with a spacer and 'wrapped' as well. But...

I don't get anywhere near 1a from that DX driver (7425) at 3.7v+, was really disappointed in it actually.

Waiting on the 1.2a driver from kaidomain, hopefully this will give me the lumen's I'm after.

I have one Cree mod running off of a single 18650 battery with an AMC7135/1050mA driver. It is very bright. However, the 3 X AA host is much brighter at 4.5 volts supply. I did not check the mA output of the AMC driver at the different power supplies. But the 4.5 volt mod is noticeably brighter. I like both. But the 3 X AA is my favorite...
Jay

Last edited:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. It uses 3 X AA batteries. So, were talking huge capacity, and longer run time. And, not to mention, you can use the Lithium AAs, which have like a 10 year shelf life!
How about using a single D-sized LiIon? IIRC the size should be just fine.
Edit: no matter, I see it's already been asked. :)