L1 Cree Question

mystgicus

Newly Enlightened
If the beam output of the TIR lens is so much like that of the reflector, why don't they(SF) replace it with a reflector, just like the L2?:thinking::thinking:

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beam profile is similar to a reflectored light, i.e. round hotspot with nice spill. IMO, the TIR can get better throw compared to a reflector of a similar diameter.

scottaw

Enlightened
I own L1's with the TIR and Milky versions with a reflector....the beam is nothing alike.

The TIR just makes a perfectly round giant hotspot. There is some sidespill, but nothing to really mention.

Now use a reflector and you get a medium sided hotspot that transitions smoothly into a nice wide spillbeam.

Both useful beams, and the TIR definately throws further.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
The new L1 cree has a diffusion film adhered to the tir/front window and that serves as the path of how the light is spread out into a larger area. The TIR in the L1 now is a little taller than the original Luxeon III TIR that was used. From reports on this forums I have heard that the new L1 throws just as far, but has a much nicer beam in the sense that it has a (wide) spill beam.

Latest posts