Do you like your Lumapower LM31?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm AA flashlight researching for a friend in which something like an L1D is going to be overkill and too complicated and I come across the Lumapower LM31 at Battery Junction for a very reasonable price of $31. At that price point I would blindly and ignorantly guess the quality and performance might be more consistent then a $15-20 DXextreme offering but probably not as good as a Fenix, am I far off? Is the quality and reliability sufficient enough to recommend to a friend? Is the 90 lumen high rating accurate at all? Another possibility although considerably more money is a still available L1T with Rebel 80.

EDIT: I probably should have done a search first as I see there is quite a bit of talk on the LM31. I kinda get the feeling although not a bad light, perhaps not as rugged and trustworthy as a Fenix?

Last edited:

loving light

Newly Enlightened
Suuuure it's for a friend:nana:. Sorry I do not have first hand experience with this light,but from what I read it seems to be a quality light with nice floody beam and a pretty low low.

4D223

Newly Enlightened
I have both the LM31 and 33 and am very impressed with both lights. The 31 has a excellent low low and a good floody high, It is not a "thrower" if that is what you are after, but a great little edc general purpose light. Batt junct is no.1 place to buy from. MattK and staff will look after you no matter what. I run my 31 on either "energizer" lithiums or the "E2" alkies and have had no dramas. Enjoy your torch/Flashlight.
Pete. :twothumbs

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the mode switching was bezel twist style like the L1T/L2T, it would be even better for me. But can't complain about the price for what you get with the LM31. The GITD ring in the front of the light is a nice touch.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I do like my LM31 and also my LM33. They are both no-nonsense lights, simple, straightforward and good for short/medium range.

IMO LM31 using normal AA batteries is particularly suitable for non-flashaholic people who just want to see in the dark.... :cool:

boosterboy

Enlightened
Yes, I love mine.

SSC emitter with nice floody beam (decent throw)

simple interface

i have bought like 5 of them so far, and gave them all away, and received good feedback.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my LM31 as well,nice light for the $.Beside what has already been pointed out I think the most noticeabel difference is the anodizing.The anodizing is not HAIII and has a more coarse appearance than Fenix or other Lumapower lights.

A very usefull and practical light, most non-flashoholics will be impressed.

Saiga

Enlightened
I love the 31, and after recently misplacing it, just ordered another yesterday from Batteryjunction. For me, the size is perfect, the high-low is really practical and useful, and i find the clicky more user freindly than the somewhat more reliable twisty, like on my Gerber or Fenix P1-D. This was (and will be again) my favorite EDC, even over my L1 (gasp!!) :D

bitslammer

Enlightened
Love mine. It's a great simple light that works.

Mine is in my laptop bag and in effect it servves as my spare battery holder. I normally EDC my Novatac120T(unless dressed up where I go with the very small Lumacraft Avenger) and the LM31 is there if the battery goes out in the Novatac. I can either use it or swap the battery.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
The LM31 is probably one of the best budget, single AA lights I have, only problem is I am waiting for a new light engine because the circuit on my original (1month old) died. Apart from that it has a great beam for all around general lighting, and throws fairly far when you need it.

bltkmt

Enlightened
I gave one to my non flashaholic dad (86 yrs old) for his birthday, and he loves it! Simple, well built light.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at Self-built's graphs and pictures it does appear to be dimmer then most of the compared competition although not extremely so.

Long story short, quite a few years ago, I convinced same friend to purchase an E2. Since then I have been the one to have to supply her with CR123 batteries and it's getting tiresome as she lives quite a distance away. I told her I could get her a single AA LED light for reasonable money that would be just as bright as the E2. Do you think the LM31 is as bright as an E2 incandescent (Surefire advertised 60 lumens).

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no experience with the SF E2, but keep in mind that the LM31 is more of a close range light compared to the Fenix L1D and L1T. The output coming out of the Seoul emitter features a wide hotspot.

john46268

Newly Enlightened
I too have to recommend the LM31. My first one was bad right out of the box, but Matt at BatteryJunction replaced it without hassle. The replacement has been totally trouble-free. It has a simple low-high interface without any extra unneeded modes, and its only shortcoming is that it isn't waterproof. If you can live with that, it is practically perfect. It fits most pockets and uses common AA batteries that you can buy at any kwiki-mart in a pinch. Perfect for non-flashaholics. Highly recommended.

Happy shopping!

:twothumbs

DaveG

Enlightened
I have a LM 33 and a LM Formula one with ssc,so far so good.No problems the F-1 is EDC and used a lot,I like simple on-off twisty.I know these are not the light in question,but this info may help some what.

jinx626

Enlightened
EDIT: I probably should have done a search first as I see there is quite a bit of talk on the LM31. I kinda get the feeling although not a bad light, perhaps not as rugged and trustworthy as a Fenix?

I was going to buy the LM31, but then I don't think it's rugged or waterproof (dunkable) like the fenix. I ended up getting the L1T v2.0. LOVE IT!

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking the same thing. I don't like the reports I have read of it not surviving a drop. I had two Huntlight FT-A2's that similarly did not survive drops, don't want another.

I was going to buy the LM31, but then I don't think it's rugged or waterproof (dunkable) like the fenix. I ended up getting the L1T v2.0. LOVE IT!