Arc LS First Run Converter Questions

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I purchased a Frist Run Arc LS from someone years ago. I remember the seller said something about a switch that changes brightness. When I flip the switch I can't tell the difference.

Is the switch really for changing output & is the switch stock? There's a jumper connected to the Luxeon cathode. Is this supposed to be there? The inductor, is it the same spec inductor that the regular Arc LS converters use?

I tried searching for a while but could find anything.

Thanks

Img_0471.jpg

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there's a switch, it sounds like the aftermerket "grey" board and not the original first run.

link

IIRC, the original first run had essentially a pair of ArcAAA circuits running in parallel.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I have one of those which was a gift from CPF'r moses, and I think done by his brother. (It's been a few years.) Larry

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
If there's a switch, it sounds like the aftermerket "grey" board and not the original first run.

link

IIRC, the original first run had essentially a pair of ArcAAA circuits running in parallel.

Thanks Chimo, your posts in that thread are very informative. I believe there's something wrong with mine. Sometimes when I flip the switch it makes no difference in output. If I play with it I can get it brighter but it makes a high pitch sound when outputting bright. I reflowed all the components with no luck.

I was supecting that the inductor was bad because of the marks on it, the bezel is putting pressure on it when screwed down. My other Arc LS was dim & it had a chipped inductor, I replaced it with a Coilcraft DO1608C-332 & now it's bright again. Looking at the pics in the thread you linked, the inductor says 100 on it & the inductor for my LSH-P says 332 on it. I guess 332 stands for 3.3uH. Can I use the 3.3uH or must I use a 1.0uH inductor like the CoilCraft D01608C-102

Also you mentioned something about the cap that is at R3 that shouldn't be there. Looking at mine it looks like the cap is stacked on top of a resistor. Should I remove that cap?

Thanks.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Chimo, your posts in that thread are very informative. I believe there's something wrong with mine. Sometimes when I flip the switch it makes no difference in output. If I play with it I can get it brighter but it makes a high pitch sound when outputting bright. I reflowed all the components with no luck.

I was supecting that the inductor was bad because of the marks on it, the bezel is putting pressure on it when screwed down. My other Arc LS was dim & it had a chipped inductor, I replaced it with a Coilcraft DO1608C-332 & now it's bright again. Looking at the pics in the thread you linked, the inductor says 100 on it & the inductor for my LSH-P says 332 on it. I guess 332 stands for 3.3uH. Can I use the 3.3uH or must I use a 1.0uH inductor like the CoilCraft D01608C-102

Also you mentioned something about the cap that is at R3 that shouldn't be there. Looking at mine it looks like the cap is stacked on top of a resistor. Should I remove that cap?

Thanks.

The cap on R3 is likely for circuit stability. I'm not sure on the inductor - I don't know which version is the original version the 3.3uH or 10uH.

Paul

Last edited:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
The cap on R3 is likely for circuit stability. I'm not sure on the inductor - I don't know which version is the original version the 3.3uF or 10uF.

Paul

Ok, I will leave the cap at R3 then. 3.3uF is what is used on this Arc LS converter:
Img_0459.jpg

I'm trying to figure out what this custom First Run converter uses. In bombelman's pic it says 100 on the inductor:
IMG_5264c.jpg

Would that more likely to be 10uF as you mentioned or 1uF?

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your last pic shows a 10uH.

Ok, I will leave the cap at R3 then. 3.3uF is what is used on this Arc LS converter:
Img_0459.jpg

I'm trying to figure out what this custom First Run converter uses. In bombelman's pic it says 100 on the inductor:
IMG_5264c.jpg

Would that more likely to be 10uF as you mentioned or 1uF?

Edit: mental lapse

Last edited: