Maglite withdrawal

Irishsentry

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys. Newbie here...I never knew there was so much to flashlights! I always put batteries in and used them...part of my trade.

I am noticing a big shift away from large duty lights down to the small 2x123a stuff. I like them...I am addicted to them....I have one currently on order.

I prefer a good light that uses AA batteries or C or D cell. I was trained back in the old days when I was very young and if you had a mini mag and a d cell maglite you were set. You sometimes had to get quite rough with crack heads or drunks and just the sight of the mag would quiet them down.

I need moderate to bright with an emphasis on burn time....what mods can I make? I would like a textured reflector and a push button tailcap plus LED for the min mag and a good LED conversion for my 3 D cell mag.

They dont get used a lot now, but if I am going to a rough area I will still take them along. They have been good lights and deserve to be highly upgraded. Thanks

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The absolute best upgrade for a D-cell Maglite is something called a 'Malkoff Device'. It replaces the whole bulb and switch tower with a jolly big heatsink and a Seoul LED perfectly driven to the tune of 240 lumens. Very rare and diffcult to get though.

A more achievable option is a Terralux upgrade, available here. For the reflector, there is none to match the quality of that by FiveMega[url].

Irishsentry

Newly Enlightened
Thanks mate....that bloody light and I have been through a lot together and I would just like to carry it once in awhile for old time's sake.

Who makes the best parts for the mini mag?

Jimmy H

Newly Enlightened
You can easily drop in Maglite's own drop in LED upgrade in that 3D. I have done that to both my 2D and my 3D. Work just fine and could not be easier.

That will hold you until you read more here and find the "ultimate" that you absolutely, positively must have...

Oh, and remember that you must double the lumen output to make a significant difference, and quadrupling is more impressive, so think twice about spending $$$ for small changes.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Well, the Fenix L2D-CE Q5 is around the same size as the minimag and can easily outshine(output wise) a Maglite 4D(probably a 6D too). Multimode so you can pick the mode you need and rund on AA. 8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8". The light mught not be suited to what you'll use it for though.

Wait, you're not looking for a new light. Humm, maglite drop-ins, there are quite a few. The Terralux is a good one. There are also many hotwire mods that you can do for the maglite.

How much are you willing to spend on the upgrade?

How much output do you want from the minimag?

I'd suggest either the Terralux or MJLED drop-in. Tailswitch 1, tailswitch 2.

:welcome:

SQ40

Newly Enlightened
Terralux is a GREAT investment if you want something very cost effective and bright as hell. I can easily light up the side of an apartment building from 200 yards. (I have the 4-D Version)

Lightguy27

Enlightened
Hey and :welcome: If you want to upgrade your Minimag and 3D cell, these are the parts Id do it with as with many others.

This LED for the 3D Mag
Terralux LED

This Reflector for the 3D Mag
MOP Reflector

This LED for the Minimag
LED Upgrade

The upgrades I have listed are all from very good and helpful sellers. Matt over at Battery junction is great and Fivemega is also a very good seller. Good luck.

-Evan

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty happy with the Cree Terralux upgrade for my 2xAA Maglite; it's pushing about 60 lumens, don't believe the marketing hype. I quit using the Nite-Ize IQ switch; while it had some nice features (would work as a momentary or a clicky depending on how you use it), it dimmed the beam noticably. Nite-Ize, Terralux, and a few others make tacticool tailcap switches for the AA Mag, I may pick one up for completion's sake - Lighthound has one model for around $3.

Still, 60 lumens is about par for 2x123 duty lights these days, and the burn time is pretty good - and you could find some high-capacity (2500 mAh is pretty good, you can find a little higher sometimes - I use Energizer 2500 mAh cells, but I think Target had some nearer to 2750) nickel-metal-hydride batteries for even more runtime, a cheap-but-decent charger, and not buy batteries for a few years.