Is there any hope for AMD ?

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was reading about the new Intel Wolfdale 45-nm Core 2 Duo E8000's over at tomshardware.com and the reviews at newegg.com. Sounds pretty impressive and there's even more intel designs coming down the line.

Is AMD going to be able to pull a rabbit out of it's hat or is it over for them ?

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
My next build will have the E8400 in it. I don't think AMD is dead, but I do think they will really need to do something if they are to continue to compete with Intel in the future. It would be a shame if the only major competition to Intel got flushed away....

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
AMDs general core infrastructure is better... true dual core... just give'em a bit of time... they also have the efficiency crown... also they just got a major investment from Dubai... give it a year or two..

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Intel seems to shrink their manufacturing process much quicker then AMD, allowing them to make faster, more efficient processors.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
AMD is still winning on the price front. Their processors are roughly at the same price point as an equivalent Intel processor, but most AMD motherboards have a lot more features for the money. And most can use denser (i.e. cheaper) RAM. Besides, a lot of people still remember the Pentium IV debacle. They won't even look at current Intel offerings because of it. I don't think AMD is going away any time soon.

meuge

Enlightened
Intel seems to shrink their manufacturing process much quicker then AMD, allowing them to make faster, more efficient processors.
That's cause they have more money. However, AMD is still doing OK on the server front, due to energy efficiency... and they are also involved in a lot of embedded processing.

Enthusiast desktops, while highly publicized, are not what makes the market.

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
Not when Intel brings out the Nahelem processors late this year (if they bring it our early) or next year. 8 cores, on chip memory controller (no FSB!), and possibly speeds past 4ghz among a bunch of other things that i can't remember.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect they will be around.
The hot chip when I started was the Z80 by Zilog (4.77 MHz) and they still make an eZ80 which is *four* times faster!
Intel seems to be driven from within as much as from competetion.
Translation: It's still run by Nerds.