Qns regarding replacing emitter module

lengendcpf

Enlightened
Hi, for those lights that have lets say 3 modes(Hi, Med, Low) and those lights that have only 1 mode(On or Off).

Is it for the single mode, the light that comes on is on the "Hi" mode as those multiple modes lights?

Cause I saw a few cheap lights, intending to buy one of those powerful emitters to replace the original.

Marduke

Flashaholic
The brightness of the modes depends purely on how the LED is driven by the circuitry. Usually, a single mode light will be in the neighborhood of "medium" on most multi-mode lights, to have a decent mix of both runtime and brightness. Occasionally a single mode light will be set to run relatively high though, and have a short battery life because of it.

But it depends greatly on the specific light in question. Some lights are VERY easy to upgrade (P60 capable lights for example), while others have an integrated control board which must be swapped out.

Marduke

Flashaholic
So if I buy a 7880 or 7882 board, wired to the switch and the emitter, I can have multi modes(if it is that simple)?

Like I said, it depends greatly on YOUR specific light. If you don't already own a suitable host for an upgrade, it would be in your best interest to just buy a multi-mode light to start with, rather than bother upgrading.

Also, those boards are intended to replace the current board, which make contact with the positive battery terminal and the top of the body (or the threads, if that's the electric path). You don't generally actually wire them directly to the switch.