Differences between the APEX, Pro, Extreme?

stijn

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Would anybody know if there is any difference between the various APEX models, except their obvious differences like battery/pack/type and colours etc. ? Do they run at different voltages is their brightness different? Or does the APEX Extreme use 2x4 AA's in parallel, to provide the same voltage as the normal APEX, but to extend the runtime, for example etc.?

One more question/thought. Princeton states that their lights don't suffer from over voltage problem as a result of using Litium Ion cells. Would it be possible or make any sense to run 5xNiHm AA cells for example to extend runtime, would this boost output? I know the APEX is regulated, but is the output completely constant or does it have a slight drop-of due to drop in voltage as a result of battery discharge, would this be improved by running a slightly higher voltage battery pack?

Cheers,

Stijn

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only difference is their respective battery set-ups. They are all regulated at the same brightness levels.

theamazingrando

Newly Enlightened
I wish the Apex used a modular battery system. If the cable attached to the power-pack via a plug you could switch between battery set-ups. IT would be great to add an extension and use a belt pack or switch to the head-band mounted CR123 pack at wll.

This actually seems like a no-brainer to me.

Wicho

Enlightened

Mark620

Enlightened
I wish the Apex used a modular battery system. If the cable attached to the power-pack via a plug you could switch between battery set-ups. IT would be great to add an extension and use a belt pack or switch to the head-band mounted CR123 pack at wll.

This actually seems like a no-brainer to me.

I changed my APEX to a modular system...now it and my sten can use the same batteries...except the sten can handle to 18VDC and the APEX is limited to about 8VDC...

jufam44

Enlightened
One of the things that attracted me to Apex for a headlamp is that you have all kinds of battery options among their product line, but you get the same light output from any light regardless of battery choice.