Ever washed your flashlight with your clothes?

maxa beam

Banned
I used to wash my EDC just about EVERY TIME I pocketed it, whatever it was. I quite frankly forgot it was there.

Well, I've gotten into the habit of putting my new light (Novatac 120P) in my coatpocket now, but I still drop it in my pocket and wash it now and then on accident. It's surprised me, the only flashlight to hold up to a go in the washing machine this far.

Anyone else do this?

Zenster

Enlightened
As long as the water in your washing machine doesn't get any deeper than 66 feet, you shouldn't have to worry.
Personally, when I want to wash mine, I just throw it in the dishwasher, or occasionally take it into the bathtub with me and use it to light up my little yellow submarine. :D

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Washed a few in the washer and dried one I also have taken a shower with most of them that I though were ok to do so with. Nothing like a good test to develop confidence in your lights! All good so far.
:party:

hammerface

Newly Enlightened
As long as the water in your washing machine doesn't get any deeper than 66 feet, you shouldn't have to worry.
Personally, when I want to wash mine, I just throw it in the dishwasher, or occasionally take it into the bathtub with me and use it to light up my little yellow submarine. :D

LOL - I just took a sip of my coffee when I read your post and it just about came out my nose! :)

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Neck lanyard usually.

Though I could clip them to my chest hair.................:tinfoil:
OW, nevermind! Don't try that.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I just use a coarse paper-towel soaked in hot water. The washing machines are in the basement of my co-op, and I make sure to take everything out of my pants before tossing them in the hamper.

Just wrap the light in the soaked paper, and give a few quick, firm, squeezes. Tap the tailcap and lens too. Then just dry off.

Ironically, not every light passes that treatment. But my Surefires and other expensive lights, do.

maxa beam

Banned
I've actually brought lights into the bathtub/shower aswell. A good cleaning, and interesting, the way the water refracts the light.

Last edited:

Mr. Shawn

Enlightened
I've actually brought lights into the bathtub/shower aswell. Neat, the way the water refracts the light.

I got 2 of those $4.99 Gerber Infinity Ultras (white LED) from Smoky Mountain Knife Works, and I keep one in the tub for my 6-month-old son and 10-year-old daughter to play with when bathing. When I'm in the shower, I hang the Gerber (with a split ring) from the tub spout so the light reflects in the water at the drain. It's so neat!! :thumbsup:

In the flow,
Mr. Shawn

maxa beam

Banned
Ooh, a relatively easy DIY project relating to the above post: Fasten a few LEDs in waterproof stuffs to the inside of your sink and rig them to turn on, red when you turn the hot water on, blue when cold. Quite comical and neat effect.

mwaldron

Enlightened
Ooh, a relatively easy DIY project relating to the above post: Fasten a few LEDs in waterproof stuffs to the inside of your sink and rig them to turn on, red when you turn the hot water on, blue when cold. Quite comical and neat effect.

You're insane!

On second thought, a RGBled behind the aerator, a small box under the sink with a pic + 9V battery and a pot or optical encoder on each valve, we could be on to something marketable here. Color the stream of water based on temperature....

Where's my soldering iron...

copperfox

Enlightened
I just did this a couple days ago to my KD AAA "buckle" light. Wash and dry cycles. It didn't work when I found it in the dryer, but the NiMh was just fine. I took it apart and after testing found that the emitter was busted. I guess it didn't like being knocked around in a hot steel drum for the better part of an hour. I've already got another SSC U-bin on the way from DX.

edit: I should add that there was no water in any part of the light

Last edited:

dulridge

Enlightened
No. Have washed my wallet though. That worked out quite expensive as paying for all the replacement cards cost a bit. Since the wallet was made out of gaffer tape (duct tape) it cost me all of 40 cents to make a new one.

Led75

Newly Enlightened
Had my Fenix E1 washed b4.....dryed it off turned it on and it was fine!