Let's talk @ the Malkoff M60L (low)

roymail

Enlightened
I searched for a thread specific to the Malkoff M60L (low) but did not find one. So let's hear from those of you who already use this drop in (140+ lumen for 4.5 hrs. on 2 x CR123's). I'd like for this to become a good reference thread for all those interested in this particular P60 drop in module. Thanks! :grin2:

roymail

Enlightened
The input voltage is 3.8 - 9 volts. Below 3.8 volts it will drop out of regulation and run direct drive. (from Malkoff website)

So I guess it will operate on 3.7-4.2V but I don't know how well or for how long. I read a thread about someone who had a Surefire 3P and a Malkoff drop in especially made for a single CR123. However, you may want to consider a Dereelight P60 drop-in made especially for 3.7-4.2V. Although these are designed more for 18650 or 17670 cells, they may work with 3V primaries. But, I'd contact Dereelight to find out for sure.

Regarding the M60L (low), when they were available last week, they sold out in 30 minutes. So I know they are popular and lots of them are being used. I hope you guys will jump in here and comment.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read a thread about someone who had a Surefire 3P and a Malkoff drop in especially made for a single CR123.

I have seen someone say they talked to Gene about such a module, and I have emailed Gene about it, but I have not heard back, nor seen someone that actually has one. I think Gene might be a LITTLE bit too busy to reply to my message about future products. :grin2:

I'm hoping someone has tried the L or LL model though...

roymail

Enlightened
I'm surprised and disappointed that there haven't been more posts to this thread... actually only 2 CPF members have commented other than me.

There have been numerous threads and posts regarding the M60 but little said about the M60L. I don't have any question about the quality or even the performance, although I'd like to hear from several owners as to their impressions of the brightness and runtime. However, given the quality of the M60 and Gene's reputation, I'm sure it's just as described on his website.

Oh well, I still think it would have been an interesting and helpful thread. For me, approximately 150 lumens for more than 4 hours sounds great! :grin2:

jinx626

Enlightened
what is the reason(s) you purchased M60L? This is for those who purchased the M60L?

roymail

Enlightened
what is the reason(s) you purchased M60L? This is for those who purchased the M60L?

Like I said, 4.5 hrs at 140+ lumens is an attractive option to the 200+ lumens for 1.5 hrs. I'd just like to hear from those who are using this drop-in as to what their impressions are after using it for awhile. In a real world setting, I bet it's a very nice performer. :huh:

I have M60L in a G3. It has the same hot spot & great spill as the M60. In fact it is 90% as bright as my M60 Q2.
Great for walking the dog or searching for the fuse panel in a basement.
I am still on my first set of primaries. I have 2 17500's waiting.
Heat is not an issue with this drop in.
Sorry no pictures. :whistle:

jinx626

Enlightened
Like I said, 4.5 hrs at 140+ lumens is an attractive option to the 200+ lumens for 1.5 hrs. I'd just like to hear from those who are using this drop-in as to what their impressions are after using it for awhile. In a real world setting, I bet it's a very nice performer. :huh:

That's what I was thinking too before deciding on getting the high output. I was thinking I don't use it that much so the led wont die on me anytime soon. But if I am lucky..a BIG IF...the battery capacity will improve and I get a bright light with better runtime. If I chose low, i just have low output with longer battery life... It was hard, but I decided on High... and since it can run off 17670 and 18650 on direct drive, it's bright and last long.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think these lower current modules are perfect. I have other lights for super bright needs. My 6P and similar lights are mostly medium bright for longer runtimes, which is what the M60L and LL are all about. It just seems like Gene has found a perfect optic to match with the Q5 cree's and has a real hit on his hands. 4+ hours of over 100 lumens on 2 primaries? How can you go wrong with that?!

schiesz

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a M60L in a G2L body, it works nice.

I don't really use it that often, it's been living in my coat pocket. I really like it when I use it, though.

Yeah, I haven't been through a set of batteries.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I think these lower current modules are perfect. I have other lights for super bright needs. My 6P and similar lights are mostly medium bright for longer runtimes, which is what the M60L and LL are all about. It just seems like Gene has found a perfect optic to match with the Q5 cree's and has a real hit on his hands. 4+ hours of over 100 lumens on 2 primaries? How can you go wrong with that?!

schiesz

And now there is the P60LL, low low.

Bill

candlelight001

Newly Enlightened
I've recently got the M60L and the regular M60. Took them out for a walk last night, along w/ my SF G3 and found some interesting things... The M60 is insanely bright at short to medium range. It just lights up everything around you at close to eye-hurting brightness. It's definitely as bright as the P90 in my G3, and I think a good bit brighter really. M60L is clearly not as bright, but not by a whole lot, ie it's in the ballpark.

What's interesting is that at a distance the M60L will light everything that the M60 will, just a little dimmer. And at the same distance, the brightness of the M60 doesn't make up for the fact that it's LED and a broad beam, and thus you can't make out any more detail than you can w/ the M60L. At that distance, the incan p90 really wins (granted, it has an extra battery).

The beam on both the M60 and the M60L is very useful without the sharp drop to blackness at the edge that I find distracting for outdoor use.

So, if I had to pick one of the drop-ins for sheer usefulness, I'd take the M60L as the gains in runtime are greater than the loss in brightness to my eyes. And, it lights things up w/o blinding me. That said, I think for the time being I'll keep both as the sheer insanity of the M60 is fun to play around with. Can't think of a lot of real life situations where it would really be more usefull than the M60L though. (I'm not a gun/tactical guy).

Concisely, based on a limited evaluation, at short to medium range, the M60L is bright enough, and at long range the extra brightness of the M60 doesn't get you a whole lot of extra detail.

Hope this makes sense and is of interest. I'll update as I play around w/ them more...

Last edited:

candlelight001

Newly Enlightened
M60L on 17670

How would this set up compare to running it on 2 RCR123's? If I understand right, it would run on direct drive because the 3.7 V of the 17670 is less than the 3.8 required to run in regulation. My question though is what would the curve look like? Would it be a steep drop? Would I gain runtime at close to regulation brightness? Thanks!

roymail

Enlightened
Candlelight001, thanks for the interesting and helpful comments about your use of the M60L. What I seem to be hearing is that for those who need the brightest output, the M60 is definitely a winner. However, for the rest of us who want or need a good, bright and useful light with outstanding runtime, the M60L is clearly a great choice. :D

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have the M60LL with 80 lumens for 8+ hours? Seems to me this is just like a normal P60, but with 8X the runtime. Hard to go wrong with that!

schiesz

DM51

Flashaholic
Re: M60L on 17670

candlelight001, to avoid confusion with too many Malkoff threads, I'm merging yours into another similar one.