Thermal Imaging, can it see through Sandstorms?

leddite

Enlightened
i'd imagine NO; that if the air temp and the sand which is aloft, and moving, so it's hard to "delete" from the image. just like you can't see through snow during a whiteout (visually).

moving air tends to disrupt thermal patterns as well.

then again, i'm just thinking out loud.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also doubt the thermal imaging would work very well in a bad sand storm for the following reason: The technology senses infrared radiation. I envision a bad sand storm where the sand particles are suspended in the air in sufficient quantity to block visible radiation (light) at a certain distance. The suspended sand would also likely block the infrared radiation to a high degree. But I have never used one in a sand storm (only once otherwise).

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Yes,
Thermal imaging can see through everything. It has a range of over 200 miles. It can see through up to 96" of concrete and steel. It uses reflectors to see over hills and into valleys. There is a high power mode where it will heat someone's internal organs to the point of melting at a range up to 11 miles. It can send targeting data to artillery and aircraft. In an emergency it is ejected from the tank and thrown up to 2 miles. Once it lands the internal gas is released and creates a kill zone of 200 meters. The average "tanker" is just over 6'5" tall and weighs 240 pounds. He is cross trained as a Navy Seal and has been known to carry a tank shell on his back for 30 miles then punch the cap with his fist to set off the change. Anyone larger than 6'6, 260 pounds and to mean to ride in a tank is in the infantry. Most infantry prefer tearing limbs from the body than to actually firing their weapon. There is no limit on what a U.S. fighting man or his equipment can do. Any talk of limitations is invalid.

ChrisA

Enlightened
it depends on surrounding temperature... if the sand is heated up you will get blurry results but otherwise it will work. it just needs a certain minimum temperature difference. i had the chance to test some of that equipment during roving sands exercise. unfortunately these 'gadgets' cost a fortune and i think they are not available to the public.

chris

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Mil spec thermal imaging, or even some commercial FLIR's are able to penetrate sand storm conditions. The heat generated from an APC can easily be discerned from the heat of swirling sand.

By the way, Dave... you're my hero. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Jim

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
DieselDave said:
Anyone larger than 6'6, 260 pounds and to mean to ride in a tank is in the infantry. Most infantry prefer tearing limbs from the body than to actually firing their weapon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not all grunts are over 6'6... Us shorties are just extra mean 'n nasty to make up for it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif
Not only do we tear them limb from limb, we make 'em into chili and feed them to their pals (a la Eric Cartman) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif