AAA choices

crocodilo

Enlightened
I'm considering getting a new AAA flashlight, and so far the ones I'm looking at are:

Fenix L0D Q4 - I love Fenixes, but ringy beams and PWM are not my style...
Fenix L0D RB80 - dimmer but better beam?
Lumapower Avenger RB100 - seems a bit complicated, doesn't it?
Triablo MA1 RB100 - like it's simplicity, but heard bad rumours...

Anyone care to comment? Thanks in advance for any help.

meuge

Enlightened
I'm considering getting a new AAA flashlight, and so far the ones I'm looking at are:

Fenix L0D RB80 - dimmer but better beam?
Lumapower Avenger RB100 - seems a bit complicated, doesn't it?
Triablo MA1 RB100 - like it's simplicity, but heard bad rumours...

Anyone care to comment? Thanks in advance for any help.
I've seen L0D-CE beams, and I don't think that any of them are "ringy" for anyuse other than careful examination against a white wall.

The fact that these lights are bright, very durable (members here have had theirs go through a washer and dryer), and have good workmanship outweighs the minor (yes, minor) beam imperfections... which are not noticeable in real life anyway.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look into Liteflux LF2x:

Mildly Textured reflector w/ Q5, more useful working up close (all I ever do with keychains)
High PWM Frequency, no visible flicker (7800Hz)
Programmable brightness levels, including the possibility of a low low (0.2%)
Light off when head is tight -- prevents in-pocket activation
Two stage twisty, you can go directly to high or low
Runs in regulation on 10440 LiIon
Battery low-voltage protection (including warning "blink")

I've used an LF2 (Modded with Q5) instead of my L0D-CE and have never looked back, LF2X has even further improvements on that.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a quick, simple, reliable choice I don't think the Fenix LOD-CE Q4 can be beat. I own the Avenger, and while mine has worked flawlessly it seems that Lumapower still has a ways to go before the design can be made to work well for all battery lengths.

One new AAA light I don't see on your list, and one I think you should at least check out is here:

http://lightreviews.info/liteflux_lf2_x/review.html

Also, if you try a search of CPF I think you will find some more threads where this has been discussed recently.

Happy hunting!

Edit: realized I originally posted that the LOD-Q4 can be beat..... I meant can't be beat. Ah, the joys of getting older.

Last edited:

sabre7

Enlightened
Don't forget the Fenix E0!! For under $20, 5.5lm is perfect for personal tasks < 10 away.

Beaky

Newly Enlightened
Of the mentioned lights I only have the Avenger, which I am a little disappointed with because it is bigger than I thought it would be. My own fault since I should have checked before ordering, but if you are looking at AAA because you want small, the Avenger is not your best choice!

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Liteflux LF2X
LOD Q4
Arc AAA.

I think these are some of the best regular production AAA lights. I really like the new LF2X and it has great functionality ond output. Some may find the LOD easier to use and it is also a great light with nice output modes. The Arc is the very smallest of the bunch and no nonsense functionality.

gunga

Flashaholic
+1

I think I've tried about a dozen or so 1 AA lights, including the Avenger etc (not Tiablo tho) and agree with the above recommendations. The Fenix E0 could be a nice choice too if you don't mind dim & blue (but with 11 hours regulated runtime on alkaline!).

I EDC an L0D CE, but I'm waiting for a Liteflux LF2x (I had the LF2 before, quite a good light. Many issues I had with it are fixed in the LF2x).

EDIT: Maybe you should do a search next time? This topic comes up about once a week...

:shakehead

Last edited:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure what bad rumors you heard about the Tiablo but it is a great little AAA light.

I own the Tiablo A1 ( three in my family ) and although at first
I was a little disapointed in the 45-55 lumen output this light has grown on me, and I am now very fond of it. Ruggged, beautiful beam, small, and well designed. I would not throw it out of the mix until I gave it a fair look. I believe the MA1 is the same light except it comes in black and now has a lower range added.

Let us know what you decide on and how you like it.

Bill

cv3po

Banned
Trust me, LOD Q4. Of the others....... I've seen, but do not own, an LF2. It has a floody beam compared to LOD and the UI is kinda buggy. It DOES have a nice low low but you don't always get it when you want it. IMHO, the only true advantage of the LF2 is that it has built in protection for use with 10440 batt's. These are still used in the LOD Q4 by a great many CPF members and as long as you charge them as soon as they start to dim I haven't heard of any problems (of course use at your own risk). The LOD has a nice simple UI with a twisty (maybe the most reliable switch?), a perfect, IMO, beam with good throw but still a fairly large hotspot for up-close low level use and from all that I've read on the forums has been proven to be almost as bulletproof as my old beloved Arc-aaa while beating it on performance (even runtime) on low. YMMV but the LOD Q4 has alot of fans and not many foes.....................

EDIT: No LOD that I've ever seen has a ringy beam. They have all been beautiful! You might see pics of a white wall but trust me, you'll have a hard time spotting them even there

Last edited:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trust me, LOD Q4. Of the others....... I've seen, but do not own, an LF2. It has a floody beam compared to LOD and the UI is kinda buggy. It DOES have a nice low low but you don't always get it when you want it. IMHO, the only true advantage of the LF2 is that it has built in protection for use with 10440 batt's.
Have you used the LF2 SSC, or XR-E? The SSC is pure flood, the XR-E is somewhere in between that and the L0D. One of the changes with the LF2x was they reduced the orange peel, so it should be even closer to the L0D in terms of throw.

Also, I notice the PWM on the L0D at pretty much all times, so the higher frequency PWM is another big advantage, especailly when looking at moving objects.

Mundele

Newly Enlightened
Get the Streamlight Microstream. It's a GREAT light. way cheaper than most too....

I love mine and carry it every day.

--Matt

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
If you are looking for an inexpensive AAA light ... how about the KaiDomain SSC AAA V4 Buckle light for 20 bucks and free ship?

I have the V3 version and it works as advertised for me. Real bright, one mode. No real issues as of yet but does not take 10440 cells, not that i've tried but others have said it will go :poof:

We all bought into the V3 for 15 bucks which made it a good deal but 20 bucks we'll see what the anecdotal reports will be.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight looks nice as a lower cost AAA light. Take a look in the reviews section for one done by This-Is-Nascar. This light really performs when using a lithium AAA energizer.

My LF2X beam seems just a bit more defined than my LOD Q4. I think this is due to the LF2X having a larger and deeper reflector. The reflector also has OP. I like the beam of the LOD and LF2X Cree lights and they do not appear ringy to me. The only time it appears noticable is when they are pointed close to a wall - and even then it is not that bad to me.

sabre7

Enlightened
AAA choices, thread lube...any bets on how soon somebody will post these topics again? 2days? 1 week? :dedhorse:

Last edited:

Stainz

Enlightened
I am awaiting my first Fenix - and have had my S-F 6P LED for three days, so consider my remarks accordingly.

My thus-far best buy in a LED light has to be the somewhat dated technology .5W 2xAAA River Rock, a whole $9.99 at Target. First, they are well made. I've carried one for several months in a stretched firesteel pocket on my KSF pocket sheath - with a Bark River 'Huntsman' knife. Make that a $130 knife, $26 sheath, and $10 light! I bought a spare - and some Li AAA's - both lights are still on the original cells, although the older unit was left on for the entire Super Bowl! To my way of thinking, they are a deal - and brighter, albeit more blue, than my 2nd gen X1 (or defective 3rd gen!).

John

cv3po

Banned
Have you used the LF2 SSC, or XR-E? The SSC is pure flood, the XR-E is somewhere in between that and the L0D. One of the changes with the LF2x was they reduced the orange peel, so it should be even closer to the L0D in terms of throw. Also, I notice the PWM on the L0D at pretty much all times, so the higher frequency PWM is another big advantage, especailly when looking at moving objects.

It was the SSC. I haven't handled any other. And yes, the lower PWM frequency is kinda a bummer. I don't really notice it but some others really do.

To the others who recommended the Streamlight Microstream, I just rec'd mine the other day and am impressed! It is much brighter than expected with a tight spot (and still good spill) and great tint. I was going to put my LOD head on it for the clicky but might just keep both stock :shrug: Great light for the $$