Treatment of a new light

Irishsentry

Newly Enlightened
What do you guys do when you get a new light...do you clean it, treat the O-rings, lubricate, etc?

What are the names of the products you like best if you use anything at all?

:sigh: sooo much to learn

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always drop every brand new light, sometimes on the tail, other times on the bezel. Once you get over that, the light is ready for use:D

Unless you're not sure if you're going to keep the light and you want to keep it nice in case you sell it off, this is a really good idea. I usually give a new light the "SureFire salute" by holding it in my right hand, extending my arm out in front of me, and dropping the light from shoulder height. It's good to do this on cement or another abrasive surface so you get a good scuff mark on the light. Alternate processes: slide your light across 40' of dirty masonite to someone who needs to use it, use the light as a hammer, go caving.

Irishsentry

Newly Enlightened
I was just curious about maintenance...my old maglights were black and are all peppered up...but whether it is a pocket knife or a light, you are right. You can't enjoy it unless it gets dinged up.

Also if it cannot survive a shoulder height drop I dont WANT it.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
All right, time for a more detailed answer.

I take apart everything that will easily come loose. If you want clean threads, you'll need to take a small machinists pick and chase the thread from end to end. Wipe clean with a cotton cloth. Clean all O-ring grooves & relube with what the manufacturer specifies (many postings on lube in this section).

If the light has 'extra' body grooves that will accept an O-ring (for increased grip), these can make a nice difference.

Others will mention contact cleaning, and there are posts about that also. And if you want to keep the light ding-free, add a lanyard. The best $10 you'll ever spend, and some day it will keep your prized light from sinking out of sight:eek:

Last edited:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make sure to lube under and around the o rings, not just on top. Depending on what light you buy and from whence you bought it, it might be a good idea to inspect the mechanical bits and any visible electronics for flaws or defects.