Why does Pelican replace reflector with bulb?

DIESEL

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to this site and I just recieved my Pelican Stealthlite but I see that to replace the Xenon bulb the reflector gets replaced too.I think it would be cheaper to replace just the bulb but they see it as a money maker.Joe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF Joe!

Perhaps it is because many of the Pelican line are rated safe for use in hazardous atmospheres. The model is rated including the specific bulb and batteries. Using other types of bulbs or batteries would mean the model is no longer rated safe. Giving people the option to fit a different bulb (brighter-hotter) could mean the product is a very real danger in some atmospheres it should be safe to use in.

Another reason is perhaps it is easier to ensure the very tight beam used by most Pelicans is focused and remains so without the user having to "fiddle with it" etc.

Al

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think pelican's engineers are the only ones that can answer that question. who knows?

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have wondered about this issue to. I have a 4AA Xeneon Streamlight that has the most uniform, 6P like beam I have ever seen. I bought a 3C Xenon Streamlight after this experience. The 3C had the most ratty laser like beam; NO side spill; that I have ever seen. I switched factory bulbs on the 3C, and lo and behold, now I have a Mag-lite large ringy beam. Go figure.

I do NOT like paying for a $$$ complete assembly, but maybe they know what they do.

CPF has been so much fun; I have loved lights all my life, but this is well; costing me a lot of money.

Can't wait for the Streamlight Task Lights !!! Y'all go ahead and pay that Surefire price. I'll be happy as a clam.