Any BlackBerry users?

sbebenelli

Enlightened
I'm thinking about getting the BlackBerry Pearl. Can forums like CPF be accessed and replied to or is it more hassle than it's worth?

I do alot of camping in the summer and would like to have internet. Would this be an alternative? I realize it's not going to be like a laptop but I would be able to check up on the different forums I read and see what's happing with NASCAR. Is this correct?

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I've recently received a Blackberry 8830 World Edition for my job. It's through the Verizon network and I use it for corporate E-Mail, etc. It's pretty cool, but haven't had it log enough to really have an opinion yet.

bitslammer

Enlightened
The forum, or any website for that matter, really needs to have formatting friendly to being rendered on the BB (Blackberry) screen. IN general most forums (CPF included) are not at all practical to be used on the BB unless they detect and offer an alternate format.

I've had a BB for 2 years now and still love it. I do use many of the websites I use on a normal PC with good results.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my BB, but it ain't great for the internet. It doesn't run java and other common applications like that, so many pages do not function properly. And pages that do function are difficult to read and navigate. I give BB internet about 4 out of 10 stars. It is, however, better than nothing.

The iPhone appears to have much smoother internet, though I have never played with one.

Many websites have pages that are configured for handheld screens, but its only a small percentage of whats out there.

I had a Pearl (and still do), but got an 8310 Curve in order to get the full qwerty keyboard. Rides easily in my LF pocket.

BBs are great for mobile email, which is why I love mine. I work at home, and when I leave the house I can still respond to email. It appears that I am still at home on my laptop when I am really out running around with my BB.

Best bet would be to play with one for a while before deciding how to proceed.

Peace be with you.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
My BB has Java installed, but I'd have no idea if it's actually working on a "java based webpage. Sign-up on BlackBerryForums.com, for more information than you'll ever want to know about BB.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using a Palm T/X and I can access CPF but it is difficult navigating around. The screen never seems to consistantly format correctly. But still if you were going into withdrawals it is possible to read the threads. Never tried a Blackberry but know people who swear by them.

Bill

fxstsb

Newly Enlightened
For GSM, 8800 shines. If you want to see the display during the day you have tp get an older model 7290. Must phones today are far inferior to the 7290 with respect to display in the sun. The 7290 loves the sun. 8800 has GPS ans Speakerphone.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I was hoping to switch to a BB soon so that I could better log into CPF when away from my comp. But after finding this thread, I doubt that would work out as well as I had hoped. What I'm currently using does a good job of reformating this site onto the smaller screen. But scrolling down a full page usually takes several minutes!

And some sites don't work at all. The internet feature isn't even compatable with PDF files.

Sometimes I think I'd be better off with a basic phone that had e-mail and a decent camera feature.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hitthespot: The key to proper formatting on a T/X is the Netfront w/ MaxX browser package. Trust a hardcore Palm T/X tweaker :) .

Monocrom: CPF works w/o issue on all BB devices which support and have been upgraded to OS 4.x running the latest version of Opera Mini. Trust a true Crackberry Addict :cool: .

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Monocrom: CPF works w/o issue on all BB devices which support and have been upgraded to OS 4.x running the latest version of Opera Mini. Trust a true Crackberry Addict :cool: .

Thanks for the info. :)

Is there a simple way I can tell which BB has been upgraded?
I need one from T-Mobile.

Any help would be appreciated.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Camping represents an interesting aspect of mobile internet access. I cannot speak for the area you are going, but you just might find that your camping area has NO wireless internet access of any kind, nor any cell phone access either.

My father lives in a small town in OH about 20 miles from I75. I can tell you from experience that there is no att cell access once you get more than about 15 miles away (5 miles from my Dad) Yes, he lives in an actual town that has been there for over 100 years. There is sprint and verizon service, but not GSM. Of course I am using gsm.

More locally here in CA, the cities are well covered, but forget trying to get cell service from any provider that covers the entire state, even the well visited ski places are not covered, nor many of the regional hotels. My wife and I used to have service from two providers (verizon / att) in an attempt to have coverage at least most of the time. At one point, we seriously considered an Iridium sat phone, but there was no way for me to justify that price point.

One item that does work very well for me anywhere in the US that I have done business travel is my wireless sprint data card (sierra wireless usb plug in). It gives me good coverage, and the speed is not all that different than my home dsl plus wifi in the house. (works with mac, xp, and vista, which I needed) When my wife and daughter are home and on line, I use it exclusively, as my daughter's mac seems to somehow take priority use of the wifi router and suck it dry.

I do have a nokia internet pad (770) (uses WiFi - not phone system). If you happen to be somewhere that has a wifi connection, it is great. I can surf and run email (IMAP and POP) through it. Eventually, I miss a keyboard, so eventually, I will replace it with the newer model with a keyboard.

fxstsb

Newly Enlightened
Camping represents an interesting aspect of mobile internet access. I cannot speak for the area you are going, but you just might find that your camping area has NO wireless internet access of any kind, nor any cell phone access either.

My father lives in a small town in OH about 20 miles from I75. I can tell you from experience that there is no att cell access once you get more than about 15 miles away (5 miles from my Dad) Yes, he lives in an actual town that has been there for over 100 years. There is sprint and verizon service, but not GSM. Of course I am using gsm.

More locally here in CA, the cities are well covered, but forget trying to get cell service from any provider that covers the entire state, even the well visited ski places are not covered, nor many of the regional hotels. My wife and I used to have service from two providers (verizon / att) in an attempt to have coverage at least most of the time. At one point, we seriously considered an Iridium sat phone, but there was no way for me to justify that price point.

One item that does work very well for me anywhere in the US that I have done business travel is my wireless sprint data card (sierra wireless usb plug in). It gives me good coverage, and the speed is not all that different than my home dsl plus wifi in the house. (works with mac, xp, and vista, which I needed) When my wife and daughter are home and on line, I use it exclusively, as my daughter's mac seems to somehow take priority use of the wifi router and suck it dry.

I do have a nokia internet pad (770) (uses WiFi - not phone system). If you happen to be somewhere that has a wifi connection, it is great. I can surf and run email (IMAP and POP) through it. Eventually, I miss a keyboard, so eventually, I will replace it with the newer model with a keyboard.
In California where anything can be had, it is funny to think the technology is there but is not being used. I have a friend that lives out there that complains about ATT. Came here and complained too. Now I just wonder if the old PacBell has anything to do with the way the sim cards are programmed? ARe they using 850 and 1900? I could understand the problem if they were using 1800.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might be right about which frequencies and towers are being used. SBC / ATT used to lease gsm tower access from T mobile, but I think they now (try) to lock us onto only their towers. I will try unlocking my phone and see if that helps.

Certainly since SBC / Cingular bought out ATT wireless and made us all trade in our phones / sim cards, the voice quality has noticeably diminished - and I mean a lot. It used to be near land line quality, now it is marginal for business use. I sure which one of the carriers would focus on voice quality even if this came at a price premium.

I think it is kind of a joke when people talk about an "always on-line experience" as a good thing. My sister visited a remote area of the great wall of China and had good cell phone coverage - compared to no coverage in what seems like 50 % of CA. Wish I were kidding.

Sorry for going OT on the camping trip question. Let us know how your experience works out.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a simple way I can tell which BB has been upgraded? I need one from T-Mobile.
The OS revision can be discovered via Options > About. All current models offered by nationwide carriers are OS 4.x.

Is there any way to run your BB traffic through an encrypted tunnel?
All wireless traffic is encrypted by the carrier, the type of encryption is specific to them. RIMM encrypts PIN messages only. If your organization runs BES, then a VPN session can be established to it and its network.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The OS revision can be discovered via Options > About. All current models offered by nationwide carriers are OS 4.x.

Thanks again for the help. :)

I'm going to check out T-Mobile's home page for a possible BB replacement of my current phone.

fxstsb

Newly Enlightened
You might be right about which frequencies and towers are being used. SBC / ATT used to lease gsm tower access from T mobile, but I think they now (try) to lock us onto only their towers. I will try unlocking my phone and see if that helps.

Certainly since SBC / Cingular bought out ATT wireless and made us all trade in our phones / sim cards, the voice quality has noticeably diminished - and I mean a lot. It used to be near land line quality, now it is marginal for business use. I sure which one of the carriers would focus on voice quality even if this came at a price premium.

I think it is kind of a joke when people talk about an "always on-line experience" as a good thing. My sister visited a remote area of the great wall of China and had good cell phone coverage - compared to no coverage in what seems like 50 % of CA. Wish I were kidding.

Sorry for going OT on the camping trip question. Let us know how your experience works out.
In my opinion an unlocked phone makes no difference any more because the SIM cards now decide what carrires you can select. Now I am not saying you can't put a TMobile card in it. Once upon a time ago I had a berry that was rev 3.6. I could select carriers. Once upgraded that ability went to the side. Any comments.