Why there are no updates for the Fenix P1-CE (NOT the D)

IMSabbel

Enlightened
Because the audience for a light that only knows the modes "to bright for most uses" and "low runtime" is lower than the one for "just as bright, plus a low mode if you turn the bezel".

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's coming one of these days.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
R2's and Rebel100's are available in sufficient quantities yet. Fenix stopped with the Rebel100's because they couldn't get enough from Lumileds, that may change?

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Updates? How long has it been out now, 4-6 months maybe? I've had mine for about 3 months or so, it replaced the original P1 that I had for around a year. I'm thankful there is no update. I like it just fine, don't see the need to update a light several times a year if they got it right the first time and there have been no amazing leaps in LEDs in that time. I'm sure you could get someone to mod your P1-CE with the latest and greatest if you have to have it.

crocodilo

Enlightened
Aaahhhh... a P1 with a recent emitter... what a dream that would be... especially if they keep the lumens around 80 and let the better efficiency drive it for longer...

Off topic: is it only me, or the P4 Crees heve a much nicer beam pattern than the Q5s? These ones seem to suffer much more from the dreaded cree halo, and are ringier even with OP reflectors. See my sigline to get an idea of which flashlights I'm talking about.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aaahhhh... a P1 with a recent emitter... what a dream that would be... especially if they keep the lumens around 80 and let the better efficiency drive it for longer...

I think the current P1-CEs use a Q2 emitter. If you go to a Q5, or what is it now, the R2(?), would you be making any great leaps in efficiency? Would a Q5 or better emitter give you another half-our or so in regulated runtime, or would you only be gaining about 10 mintues worth?

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Off topic: is it only me, or the P4 Crees heve a much nicer beam pattern than the Q5s? These ones seem to suffer much more from the dreaded cree halo, and are ringier even with OP reflectors. See my sigline to get an idea of which flashlights I'm talking about.

I don't think it's just you. I have a L2D w/P4 and smooth reflector that has a better beam than any Q5 I've seen with a textured reflector. I thought maybe I just got lucky with that P4 at first, but after being disappointed with a couple of Q5s, I'm not so sure...

I'm perfectly happy with my P1-CE Q2. Beautiful beam, brighter than the original P1 with virtually equal runtime. It's the perfect candidate for RCR123, IMO.

jinx626

Enlightened
i emailed fenix-store and Matt told me that they will not make P1CE Q5 because and I quote:

"the P1 CE isn't regulated for a Q5 LED" by Matt from Fenix-store.com

that means they need to make a whole new driver for it... i don't mind the wait if they going to do it. I bought 2 P1CE already..love it... If Q5 or R2 comes out... I will defin. get 2 more.

crocodilo

Enlightened
I think the current P1-CEs use a Q2 emitter.

This is new to me. I was under the impression that when the P1-CE was released, current Cree flavour was P4. And that no updates had been made further on, because if they had, fenix would surely have advertised it to boost sales.

Regardless, the P1-CE is a fantastic light!

crocodilo

Enlightened
I'm perfectly happy with my P1-CE Q2. Beautiful beam, brighter than the original P1 with virtually equal runtime. It's the perfect candidate for RCR123, IMO.

Strangely, when doing runtime tests with my original P1 and P1-CE using a couple of AW 3,7v protected RCR123s, the results were something like 45 and 55 minutes, respectively (cant' recall the exact numbers, but I've posted them somewhere around here). I too was expecting similar runtimes... perhaps it's got to do with thermal regulation, since the P1-CE has a brass pill and probably better heat dissipation... just a guess.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strangely, when doing runtime tests with my original P1 and P1-CE using a couple of AW 3,7v protected RCR123s, the results were something like 45 and 55 minutes, respectively (cant' recall the exact numbers, but I've posted them somewhere around here). I too was expecting similar runtimes... perhaps it's got to do with thermal regulation, since the P1-CE has a brass pill and probably better heat dissipation... just a guess.

That could easily be due to the natural variations in the LED's, also known as the lux Lottery.

My Q5 is also ringier than P4 or Q2. Maybe the "joker" die heights are still part of the LED lottery.
:thinking:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is new to me. I was under the impression that when the P1-CE was released, current Cree flavour was P4. And that no updates had been made further on, because if they had, fenix would surely have advertised it to boost sales.

Regardless, the P1-CE is a fantastic light!

I don't know about current production, but I have a Special Edition model that was sold by fenix-store that has the Q2.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
That could easily be due to the natural variations in the LED's, also known as the lux Lottery.

My Q5 is also ringier than P4 or Q2. Maybe the "joker" die heights are still part of the LED lottery.
:thinking:

I would say you're probably correct there. Brass actually has lower thermal conductivity than aluminum, so I wouldn't assume it's a heatsink material advantage.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if it isn't the newer reflectors causing the ringiness. I recently bought a P3D Q5 with OP reflector and the beam wasn't that great. A big lopsided dark ring around the hotspot and some artifacts near the outside of the beam.

I put an OP reflector in that I had bought when Fenix-Store first offered them. A big improvement. The dark shadow almost completely gone and the rest of the beam cleaned up. Looking at the two reflectors, the one I put in was a heavier tecture and less shiney then the one that came with the light. It also gained some lux in my lightbox.