More P7 info ...

meuge

Enlightened
Typical output of 400 lumens at 1400mA (350mA/die) means about 100 lumens per 350mA for each die... which essentially means that the P7 is just 4 U-bin dies in parallel, in the same package.

So the efficiency hasn't gone up at all... but rather the engineers have managed to squeeze 4 dies into the same package, despite the heat produced.

I presume that heatsinking will be major issue with these LEDs... but if these are the same dies, that can be driven harder (SSC U-bin can take 1A), then we may see 1-LED 1000lumen + HOTwires very quickly.

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The question is, can the P7 be pushed to do more than 400 lumens without over heating? It would be cool if it could produce 800 lumens without cooking itself, but that remains to be seen.

lightinsky

Enlightened
Insanity at its largest. 900 lumens is scorching!!! That would be cool if ssc or cree can produce this with effeciency and heat dissapation.

jufam44

Enlightened
900 Lumens at 10watts? This would require the whole light to be used as a heat sink, would it not? This might be possible to do (maybe 2 or three of 'em) in a thor mod with active cooling (fans). Anyone want to try that? :cool:

-Max

meuge

Enlightened
900 Lumens at 10watts? This would require the whole light to be used as a heat sink, would it not? This might be possible to do (maybe 2 or three of 'em) in a thor mod with active cooling (fans). Anyone want to try that? :cool:

-Max
Nah... 10W isn't much... and it's not 10W of heat, it's 10 total watts. I figure LEDs can't be less than 50% efficient, so that's 5W of heat to dissipate.

Just heatsink the head and fin it a little... should be fine.

jufam44

Enlightened
Nah... 10W isn't much... and it's not 10W of heat, it's 10 total watts. I figure LEDs can't be less than 50% efficient, so that's 5W of heat to dissipate.

Just heatsink the head and fin it a little... should be fine.

Thanks Meuge, I guess I was wrong. Could 5 Watts of heat harm the LED's with just normal finning, or would anything extra be needed? (I.E. in a mag mod)

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'd have to be very careful about heat sinking. It won't have to be radical, just well designed. Of course, you could always use a multi-emitter setup. 300-400 lumens per emitter wouldn't be pushing that hard if I'm reading the specs right.