How long do you guys think the first 100 LSes will last?

Haz

Enlightened
30 minutes at most, i guess. The moment someone makes a post here that it's available. I'm pretty sure there will be a frenzy at the Arcflashlight website to secure the first 100.

cerbie

Enlightened
IMO:
<=$200: 15 minutes is my guess. More as the price rises. I doubt they will lst 48 hours, regardless of price.

paulr

Flashaholic
They have a lifetime warranty and each one of them will last through many years of service.

SaturnNyne

Enlightened
Sorry for the long-windedness, just thinking out loud.

It'll be interesting to see how long they last... I think it will take more than 30 minutes for 100 people who are interested and able to afford this light to find out it's for sale, overcome any lingering doubts about pulling the trigger, and place their order. Maybe they'll last through the first day or two. Maybe longer? Or maybe there are enough Arc diehards sitting ready to pounce without hesitation that they'll be long gone before most of us even get the news. But we could all be surprised, demand might not be as frenzied as we'd expect after watching all the excitement running through the LS thread unchecked by any clearly set financial reality.

The short answer: Hopefully long enough for me to see the sticker, think "am I really going to exceed my current maximum flashlight expenditure by this much?" about a dozen times, hover over the buy button for a few minutes as I ponder my finances and try to justify it, and then click. Or not, if I just can't afford it. It'll sure be nice if Peter pleasantly surprises me with the price, but I know at least a few people who haven't carefully read the LS thread from the beginning will have their unrealistic hopes dashed.

IMO:
<=$200: 15 minutes is my guess. More as the price rises. I doubt they will lst 48 hours, regardless of price.
I'd say definitely easily <$200, considering how many times Peter strongly emphasized, to a group of people who spend thousands on flashlights, that this light will be expensive. My guess—based on those warnings, the time and effort that's been put into this project, references to the price of the 4+, and McGizmo's thoughts on the cost of the electronics—is somewhere around the $300 pricepoint, +-$20, maybe more for the larger body since it has more material, more complicated machining, and a titanium clip.

They have a lifetime warranty and each one of them will last through many years of service.
True, good call! That was my alternate answer.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I remember when the first batch of Arc AA's went out. I was lurking while at work when Peter rang the bell. I jumped, and got lucky. Too bad I didn't go for the lugged version. Anyway, these went in less than a day. I'll bet the new LS will be no different. Be ready when the time comes, because there will be little warning.

Geoff

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
So did the "old" version of the LS. Service is no longer available for the orignal LS.
I do not put a lot of value in a lifetime warranty offered by ARC. Their track record doesn't support a positive outlook on long term warrantys.
Past performance is a tremendous predictor of future preformance.
Yaesumofo

unnerv

Enlightened
So did the "old" version of the LS. Service is no longer available for the orignal LS.

I still believe they have good products, and if the value of the product is good, I would consider purchasing. I would not put the lifetime warranty feature high on the list of selling points for me because of the previous example set.

Last edited:

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not put a lot of value in a lifetime warranty offered by ARC. Their track record doesn't support a positive outlook on long term warrantys.
Yaesumofo
Service is no longer available for the LS, because it is no longer made and there are no parts for it. The company that made it went out of business and there is no legal obligation regarding warranties on them.

The owner of that defunct company now works for a new company that produces ARC flashlights again that has no obligation to honor any past warranties.

Except that they do.

Since parts are not available to service older lights, they offer an extremely generous store credit for the original value of the lights, often more than what some people paid for them.

The designer is a person of integrity who cares greatly about his customers to the extent that he convinced his current employer to honor those warranties even though they had no obligation to do so.

I would say that kind of commitment on behalf of the employer shows that they're pretty serious about the long haul and is indeed a very positive predictor.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yaesumofo

I'm sure there are more suitable places you could take this rant.

Regards,
Tempest

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Simply using the new LS thread as a measure of interest and anticipation, I can't see the first 100 lasting more than a couple of days, at the very most.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to try grabbing one of those first 100...but if I don't I'm sure someone else will :eek:

Regards,
Tempest