Small AM / SW radio receivers

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for a small, digital receiver that covers at least AM and SW - some VHF would be nice too, but not necessary.

Would like to keep it under $75.00 but will spend double that if I have to.

Selectivity and sensitivity are more important than a bunch of fancy features. The smaller the better.

Any recommendations?

(I'd buy used from a CPF member if you have something that you want to get rid of that meets my specs and price range.)

I found a couple on eBay that seem to fit the bill, but I think they are probably JUNK:
KCHIBO
Kaiwa
Any experience with these brands?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
1. Sony ICF-SW7600G
2. Grundig Yacht Boy 400PE
3. Sangean ATS-606AP Compact

Shop around (I like Amazon.com -free shipping if spending over $50), eBay, CCrane, maybe Pricewatch.com, or epinions.com...I want to be one to say you get what you pay for, you mentioned possibly spending double. You'll pay that or a little less for these, but they're good. I own the Sony.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks!

How about the ICOM R-2 or R-5? They are a little more $$ than I really want to spend, but they seem to cover "everything" frequency-wise and in a very small package, so I might be willing to spend the extra if the quality is good. How is their sensitivity?

bigcozy

Enlightened
Silviron, if you find a good place on the web to buy would you post that? I am looking for one too. I looked at the Sony models but everything that I saw was too much $$$.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I've got an R2 also...nice little package, a bit complicated to program if you are used to a keypad (because there isn't one! - alot of dual function buttons) but it's not "total rocket science". Click on "R2 Manual" (.pdf format) to download and review.

I use the R2 as more of a pocket scanner, I still like my ICF-SW7600G better for shortwave features. Keep in mind though, I'm just a novice (not as in licensed either)! Where's those "Hammies" when you need them? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ones listed by Sigman are better but I have the entry level Sangean ATS404 which can accommodate your price range. It's probably the cheapest with direct digital entry. Audio is decent for it's size and FM reception is superb. The only thing I don't like is that it sucks the batteries pretty fast. It's a good little travel radio. The ATS606 looks very intriguing. Didn't know that model existed.

ledfoot

Newly Enlightened
I purchased one from Radio Shack several years ago. At the time all of the units sold were Sangean with the Realistic label. It is still working great and has been loads of fun.
They have basic models and ones with several bells and whistles also.