G2 Lens..Replaceable??

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
After having my G2 for a few weeks, I noticed that the lens was held in place by a ring from the front. It took little effort to loosen the ring and get to the lens. I did notice what looked like a little dab of glue in the threads. It seems as if it's there not so much to fuse the ring in, as it is just to tighten things up so it doesn't rattle loose.

Can anyone else with a G2 (I know there's a ton of you out there) see if that ring comes off easily on yours?

Thanks,
Chris

snuffy

Enlightened
I tried two of mine but without a properly fitted tool all I'm going to do is chew up the plastic ring. They put just enough glue in there to keep me out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

SurefireM6

Enlightened
I don't think the G2 lens is user servicable. Replacement bezels are about $4 for Lexan, about $14 for Pyrex.

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
I must have stumbled onto the secret of how to get these out then. It took me about 5 seconds and there wasn't a scratch on the unit afterward from my efforts. Maybe they missed with the glue or something....????

SurefireM6

Enlightened
How is it held in there? Does the ring screw in? Or is it press-fit with glue?

That would be nice if the lens could be replaced. Although the Z17 lens replacement kit cost about the same as a new G2 bezel (about $4)

Are you working on making a glass replacement for the 6P at all? It would be great to be able to replace my Lexan 6P/9P lens' with a glass one.....hint hint.....

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
The ring screws in against the lens.

The 6P/9P is a little tricky. If a lens replacement is going to be made available, it will require machining the bezel. I'm still working on this - slowly. I really hope I can offer a lens retrofit service for these in the near future.