Cleaning optics and emitters

pmath

Newly Enlightened
I'm just wondering how you go about cleaning both optics and emitters on aasembly. Even if I am really careful I find there are often bits of dust and the occassional smudge mark which although they don't seem to affect performance - well they don't look flash.

Washing the optics and cleaning with lens cloth is OK but I don't think my LUX 111s would be so keen.

Peter

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luxeons and Crees have hard domes that you could use a lens cloth on. SSCs and Rebels have soft silicone domes that you'll want to use something very soft to clean, such as a moistened tissue.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use 90% isopropyl alcohol and paper towels to clean the LEDs. I use dish soap and warm water for optics. I then dry off the optics with a paper towel. I end up with smudge/lint/dust free optics and LEDs.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use 90% isopropyl alcohol and paper towels to clean the LEDs. I use dish soap and warm water for optics. I then dry off the optics with a paper towel. I end up with smudge/lint/dust free optics and LEDs.

For optics I use generic glasses cleaner and paper towel.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
For optics try to avoid using paper towers, i remember reading they are made with some sort of fibres that strengthen the structure. Which will in turn scratch the plastics. Use clean cotton washed in non softening detergent. Micro fibre will work but its over rated. For best results is to avoid direct contact by wearing gloves.

UPDATE: I looked up the net, my memory wasn't accurate, it's actually calcium carbonate and titanium dioxide that is in paper towers are abrasive. For what use I am not sure. Some patents says it's for brightening.

Last edited:

Cheapskate

Enlightened
Use blue-tac, yellow-tac or whatever colour or name it goes by locally. Rubbery stuff for putting posters on walls etc.

Work a small dab by stretching it repeatedly to warm it up and make it tacky, then press it onto whatever you want to clean and lift off. That way there is no wiping action, so no scratches.

It is brilliant for cleaning threads on torches as it can be presssed into the thread and rolled around the circumfrence or it can be pushed in then dragged in a wiping action. It is a great way to clean up anything where there are small fiddly crevices you want to get dust and dirt out of.

waynejitsu

Enlightened
See the link below.
These cloths are what a lot of the modders are using (as well as high $$$ automobiles:)

mahoney

Enlightened
Be carefull with Alcohol on LED domes and optics. YMMV but high strength alcohol can cause acrylic to "craze" (develop a lot of fine cracks). I learned this lesson the hard way with the domes of a couple Luxeons.