ARC LE worth extra$10??

Status
Not open for further replies.

robk

Enlightened
I have an ARC AAA natural finish and I love it. I'm thinking about an ARC AAA LE, is the LED really hand picked, and worth an extra $10? Is it whiter, brighter?
Thanks,
Rob

Thegonagle

Newly Enlightened
I'm a long-time lurker, first time poster here.

I have the exact same question.

I already have a turq. and a white ARC AAA. They're going on a year and a half old. The the white is my EDC on my keychain, and the finish is looking more and more "natural" every day. I'd love a replacement sometime soon.

Thanks.

robk

Enlightened
I couldn't wait for replies! It's a sickness for sure. I ordered an LE from Tactical Warehouse tonight. I can't see how it could be better than the regular ARC, but I'm looking forward to it coming in!
Rob

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tint is suppose to be better, but I can't tell the difference. The HA coating is also more consistent than the regulars. Its all the same to me since mine is worn to the bare metal in certain areas.

robk

Enlightened
I would prefer a little less blue tint than my present ARC displays. Maybe I'll get lucky with the LE, a bit more white. I must say they are fantastic little work lights for close work. Regarding the finish, I can't tell as I've only had the ARC natural a few days - not long enough to truly punish it.
Rob

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
When I got my LE I got a standard also. The beam qality and "centeredness" was far better on the LE. For most of what I se it for it woldn't make mch difference bt having the better of the two with me is a nice feeling /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif . When I got mine from TTS the difference was about $6.
A side note when I got my CPF edition I decided I liked the light bt it was to easy to lose since it was so small + it was $45. So I sold the CPF edition and boght the LE and standard for not mch more. The standard was given as a gift and I still have the LE in my pocket. Maybe I shold have held onto the CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
I just placed an order with Dan also for the Arc AAA LE. It'll be my first Arc flashlight, but after reading James S' review and visiting Whistler's Flashlight webpage, I was convinced. This was the ultra compact light to have. I chose the LE for the obvious two things: [*] a better white light and [*] because it says "Limited Edition" on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SUREFARC

Enlightened
The color of the LE is not as white as I expected. Pretty blue in fact. I'm very satisfied with the color of the leds in the SF A2. But the worksmanship of the LE is superb.

Lightoleum

Newly Enlightened
I've got a couple of LE, both of which are beautiful and usable, but neither of which are as white or as bright as my wife's black-body AAA. Luck of the draw, I guess, but the 2 LE are inconsistent in one other respect: one of them has the LED mounted much higher than the other, making a big shadow ring that the other doesn't have. Odd, that.

avusblue

Enlightened
I actually liked the beam from my LE less than the regular. I found the LE's beam color to be a bit more yellow-greenish than the more bluish of the regular. Brightness seemed the same, just a color difference. I wound up selling the LE (when they were pretty much unobtainable) for what I paid for it, and now I have AAA-Black and the new AAA-Natural and am perfectly happy.

So no, I don't think the price premium is worth it, in fact, I think the regular AAA is the preferable light, AND it costs less.

YMMV,

Dave

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought my LE as something to hang on to. I may not even use it. I have several Std AAA's, one hangs around my neck almost all the time.

JSWrightOC

Enlightened
I know that there have been a few minor problems with the newer Arc AAA LE's...mine, in fact, was dimmer than a standard AAA, the LED was way off center and recessed back into the head quite far. I got in contact with Arc and they'll send me a new one when they get the unit in question. Hopefully it will be more like Craig's review. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pyramus

Newly Enlightened
I got an Arc AAA-HA from Dan and love it. However I recently got 6 more of the Arc AAA and am sorry to say that none compare to my first. Dimmer, way more blueish, and off-center hot spots. Why is there so much variance in the color of L.E.D.s? Is it just the nature of the beast?

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
I'm really dying here just waiting for my Arc AAA LE to arrive tomorrow (Friday), especially after reading what folks were saying about recessed LEDs and some off center LEDs. It does seem like a lottery, somewhat, and I just hope I get one of the better ones. About 13 hours and my shipment will arrive, compliments of Dan from TW. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well, I'm pretty sure Arc Flashlight will accomodate if it isn't up to spec. For now, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

[*] UPDATE: Arc AAA received and it's absolutely fantastic... nicely set LED, great HA finish, great chemkote interior, a nice easy turn for on/off, and a very bright, slight tinge of blue (which I like) all in a tiny package. I'm getting another one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Jim

DrAg0n

Banned
whats the difference between:

ARC AAA LE vs ARC AAA Premium?
LE is grey Premium is black??
&

ARC AAA Standard vs ARC AAA Normal?
Normal is old and standard is new??

Confusing....

TIA.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got 2 standard Arc AAA's today and 2 LE's are comming in the mail soon.

Out of the package, nice fit 'n finish. Out to the garage to play with all my toys and compare.
Bluish tint with some artifacts on both...one is WAY off center and the other is "okay".
Much better than original Infinity in brightness, similar to photon, but Ultra G is superior in terms of quality of light (centered and more white with a good halo). One Arc seems to look a little oval shaped, but I'm going to have to take a better look tonight when there's no light under the door.
Arc is the winner for size and fit/finish. Infinity is a little too big for my keys.

Will I keep them? I wasn't all that impressed with the standards so these will fufill their destiny to become gifts. When my LE's come this week, I will compare and decide. I really hope that they are improvements over the standard.

Don't get me wrong, they are neat little lights with good output for their size, but I'm used to my Ultra G and some premium toys. Light makes right.
Based on the reviews, I was hoping for more, and hopefully the LE's will confirm everyone else's opinions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

I'll update later this week.

-Jason

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
My AAA LE ROCKS nothing off center, perfect recess, and it's just as bright if not a bit brighter than my photon III with a cheap and easy to replace AAA battery (the reason I bought it) to boot. Very cool. Rides on a lanyard around my neck. I like the greenish tint compared to the blue which in my opinion tends to wash things out a bit.

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.