Wire gauge for mods?

Groundhog66

Banned
Looking to do a few mods, which gauge wire it typically used for small circuits? I will be doing a couple McCapsules for Longbows, SOB 917 and NG 750.

Tim

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps this link will help?
here

I'm sure some modders, builders will chime in........off the top of my head
20 AWG or 18AWG solid would seem to be an obvious chhoice?

jeffb

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I use stranded 26awg teflon coated wire by NTE for all my McLux, Longbow, PM6, Aleph builds.

Greg G

Enlightened
On my M@g mods, from the switch to the driver I run what fits snugly in the holes of the circuit board. Typically 20 gauge is the minimum I like for that part of the light, unless the holes in the driver are smaller.

From the driver to the LED I use 24 gauge Teflon coated wire. The strands are silver plated, so that helps.

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
For a balance between flexibility and low resistance in light engines, 24 gauge stranded Teflon-insulated wire is ideal.

I sometimes prefer 26 or 28 when even more flexibility is required or I want to form a good solder joint quickly (smaller wire conducts heat away from the joint more slowly), or 22 to 20 when less resistance is important.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mostly use 24ga teflon coated wire in my builds. Although if there will be much movement of the wire I will step up to 20ga for more mechanical durability. Very rarely the 24ga is too large for the circuit board holes, but I can usually make it work by trimming a few strands.

GSteg

Newly Enlightened
Which is better; solid or stranded wire?

Stranded wires for more flexibility, usually. With wires these small, they make little difference. Just choose the stranded as its easier to work with.

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
It maybe be worthwhile continuing this thread for others, but the Hog is long gone. Unlike a cat it appears that a Groundhog only has 4 lives:candle:.

M.S

Enlightened
I use the same 24 awg silver plated copper wire with teflon insulation that I got for my heaphone cable projects. I think that the seller was something like "navships" on ebay...

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also use 24 Gauge stranded for LED projects, and 18 gauge stranded for Incan projects (much more current). One thing to consider here is that the lengths of wire we're talking about are so short, that you won't get a whole lot of added resistance from the wire, like oy might if you were doing a long run of some kind.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Black Rose, I also use 24 awg from eBayer navships. Highly recommended seller.

I use the same 24 awg silver plated copper wire with teflon insulation that I got for my heaphone cable projects. I think that the seller was something like "navships" on ebay...

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Solid copper 20 gauge wire for all my projects, because my father brings it home from work for free. It comes from old florescent lighting that is being changed out. It is really inflexible, but at lest I'm quiet sure I'll never really over power it. However I used 16 gauge wiring on my 1000 Watt GE light and it gets hot really fast so I need thicker I wire I think.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Which is better; solid or stranded wire?

Electricity travels along the outside of a wire. Size for size, stranded wire can carry more current than solid wire since there is more area to travel on each strand of wire that the stranded wire is made up of. Solid wire is a lot stronger & cheaper to make.