Headlamp proves its worth again

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I spent most of the day on cold concrete in an unheated garage today working on my nephew's finacee's car. She got hit in the snow storm yesterday and the front bump was torn loose, the one corner of the core support and the headlight were damaged. She has no collision insurance to he asked me, I worked in a body shop years ago, to help.

I used my Brinkman LED headlamp and it proved once again how useful they are. Not having to hold a trouble light or flashlight was a godsend. Especially trouble lights who's bulb always seem to break at the worst time.

Always having light shine where you are looking at is so handy. Wish I had them 25 years ago, lol.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I find myself using a headlamp often, I have cheap 3led headlamp that uses 3AAAs I use most of the time as the switch is easy to operate and it puts out enough light for stuff and if I break it I have 4 extras.

generic808

Enlightened
Headlamps are the way to go! I walk the dogs late at night with my LED Lenser headlamp, which is 42.5 lumens of ALL flood. Of course my 6P Q5 tactical bezel comes along for the ride :sssh:

DM51

Flashaholic
As this is about headlamps, I think maybe I should it move to... er... let me think now... um...

Yes! Got it! The 'Headlamps' section!

Last edited:

Cydonia

Enlightened
I don't own a headlamp. I've never owned a headlamp. I want to... really...:tinfoil:
I see how invaluable headlamps are but... I'm just not happy with the ones I've seen so far. Still waiting for the perfect headlamp design :shrug:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own a headlamp. I've never owned a headlamp. I want to... really...:tinfoil:
I see how invaluable headlamps are but... I'm just not happy with the ones I've seen so far. Still waiting for the perfect headlamp design :shrug:

Have you seen the Zebralight H50? It is the smallest single AA light I know of [really not much bigger than the cell itself] attached to a silicone rubber holder and a single strap around the head. So light weight you hardly know it's on. Pure flood light gives very natural illumination and it's very efficient on an AA.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
It still takes two hands to change a flat! I just wish I could find one that I could get wet.

chiphead

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have used even the $10 energizer 2 white/1 red led 3AAA headlamp and it is a good one to have around while waiting to find the perfect one IMO. I find though my cheaper target holiday special headlamps with the touch button easier to use than that slide switch is. I lean towards buttons that you can touch than switches having to be clicked because I tend to leave a headlamp on for hours working on things turning it on/off when I need a little extra light.
I didn't use any incan headlamps I had they were annoyingly ringy and died about an hour into use from the *yellow syndrome* the color shifted to yellow instead of white and eyestrain was more than I could bear lol.

Uncle Bob

Enlightened

A former colleague kept waiting for the "perfect" camera to come along. Guess what? He kept waiting, never bought a camera, never took a picture.

Take the plunge! :twothumbs

jufam44

Enlightened
One downside to headlamps, from what I see, is that when people are talking to you at night, your instinct is to turn to them. And then you're shining a bright light in their face. Which not everyone appreciates...

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
One downside to headlamps, from what I see, is that when people are talking to you at night, your instinct is to turn to them. And then you're shining a bright light in their face. Which not everyone appreciates...

yeah, it does take a little practice.

Stromberg

Enlightened
I have two headlamps: Petzl Tikka XP and Retki K2(same as River Rock K2). I've found out several times that decent headlamp is irreplaceable for electrician. Petzl is very handy because of its small size and sliding diffuser for close up work.

Glasstream15

Newly Enlightened
A former colleague kept waiting for the "perfect" camera to come along. Guess what? He kept waiting, never bought a camera, never took a picture.

Take the plunge! :twothumbs

Perfect Camera, Perfect PC, Perfect Flashlight.

I sure don't have the perfect light, but I do have lights, handheld and head, that do what I need at the time. Are there better choices for my needs? YES! Do they cost more than I am able to spend right now? YES! Would I like better lights? YES! But I got stuff that works and so I am able to get things done.

I have, at present, 6 cameras, 2 film, 4 digi. Are any perfect? NO! Do they take VERY GOOD, at least as good as my photographic abilities, pictures? YES! My DSLR, my best camera, was an entry level Canon when purchased and has just dropped out of the catalog. Would I prefer the $8000 1D series with multi-$K "L" lenses? YES! does my XT with Tamron and entry Canon lenses take pictures up to the limits of MY ability? YES! Am I limited by my eqipment? Lighting or photographic? NO!

Get something that works. There is something new, in almost any category of technology, coming next week. If you wait for what's next, you will have a bunch of presents at your funeral but NEVER have a useful, maybe not bleeding edge, but useful to do things, product.

So I have 5 PCs. 2 lappys and 3 desktops. One of those desktops, a year old, was purchased as a machine that would be within the top 10%, maybe 5%. And a year later it still is. That Canon EOS Rebel XT, entry level DSLR, a year later is still in the top 10, maybe 5, % of sensor resolution/picture output quality of all cameras on the market. Bells and Whistles are missing.

2 X 3D mags, 1 with MagLED, 3 X AA Mini-Mag 2 with Wally Werld dropins, 1 X AAA MagLED, 1 X Brinkman 3AAA LED, 1 X Brookstone 3AAA/1 watt/optic, 1 X Dorcy 6AAA/6watt, 1 X Brookstone 3AAA LED "SuperBright" Headlamp and 1 X Black & Decker VPX flashlight. Also a Ryobi light as part of my Ryobi 1+ tool system and 2 handheld, battery spotlights, 1MCP and 2MCP.

That entire list, gathered over about 20 years, has NOTHING special or approaching "state of the art". NONE of those lights is near the top of the heap in it's category. And everyone of them serves me well. And everyone of them is/was affordable.

So. All of that.

The PERFECT LIGHT. headlamp or handheld. It DOES NOT exist. And the absolute BEST light ever???

SIMPLE!

The one that is in your hand when you need it!!!!!

HWman

Newly Enlightened

That's a perfect way of getting rid of those blow-hards that won't take the hint to go away and bore someone else!

Will it work at a formal dinner party?

Burgess

Flashaholic
Especially effective when it's set to "Strobe Mode".

:devil:
_