Looking for flashlight that turns itself off

stump

Newly Enlightened
I have a very young nephew that loves to play with my Arc AAA. He takes it into the closet, under the bed, etc. I'd like to get him his own flashlight but I realize that he'd go through batteries as he'd leave it on.
What I'd like to find is a modestly-priced LED flashlight that would stay on for several minutes after a button is pushed and then would shut off by itself.
Does anyone know of something on the market that would meet my requirements?
Thanks.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Off the top of my head the only production light I can think of that has this option is the Novatac "P" series.......which can be programmed to shut itself off after 5min. Probably a bit to pricey to give to the nephew though :huh:

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
The newer version of the Nite-Ize IQ switch, the one that comes bundled with the 1W Luxeon Mini-Mag drop-in, will do this and is a little more reliable than the earlier version. I think it times out in 14 to 15 minutes on the one I have.
It should also work with just the 3x5mm LED Nite-Ize drop-in if you didn't want his light to be as bright, but you're not assured of getting the new version of the switch if you buy that combo.
The 1W really isn't that bright when coupled with the IQ switch, you could use it in a light of your own without the IQ and it would be brighter, then couple the newer switch and a separate 3x5mm drop-in for his light. Different colors are available in the 3x5mm also.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The Photon Freedom and Proton models can be set to turn off in about 3 minutes. The Proton or Proton Pro are probably pricier than you'd like for a little fellow, though I'm sure he'd like it, and it runs on 1AA. The Freedom may be better, but it does use watch batteries. Rebel's suggestion of the IQ switch on a Minimag sounds like the best idea.

Geoff

paulr

Flashaholic
If you're talking about a VERY young kid, try a Nightstar Shakelight. No batteries, just shake it up and down to charge its capacitor. No removable parts to lose or swallow.

Alternatively you could try something like a Gerber IU and put a rechargeable AA in it. It will run for at least a whole day nonstop on a charge. If he leaves it on and drains the cell, just recharge it.

EugeneJohn

Newly Enlightened
Little Tikes has some childrens flashlights that are just too cute. They have animal themes, Dino, Cow, Lion, etc. and make a sound when you turn them on.

They stay on for about two minutes then turn themselves off.

They take two C sized batteries and a PR bulb.

I found one at a St. Vinny's that I'm going to put in a smjled at some point in the future.

Kind of the 'anti-Arc AAA', but how can you say no to a flashlight that roars.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
PAL Lights had [has?] a light that turned off after 30 minutes. This would be ideal for a child. Small, not too expensive [~$20], and has that useful "glow in the dark LED" function that can act as a nightlight, and has long battery life [uses a 9-volt]. I run mine off of batteries that come out of the smoke detector after six months.

Edit: I don't see them for sale on the Safe-Lite site anymore. The Survival model is selling at BrightGuy for $15 though.

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Only one I know anything about is the NiteIze IQ Switch which does cut out at 14-15 minutes. Don't know about keeping little people from taking it off and losing it or worse however.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
The Photon Freedom and Proton models can be set to turn off in about 3 minutes. The Proton or Proton Pro are probably pricier than you'd like for a little fellow, though I'm sure he'd like it, and it runs on 1AA. The Freedom may be better, but it does use watch batteries. Rebel's suggestion of the IQ switch on a Minimag sounds like the best idea.

Geoff

how do you do that on a freedom?

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep Eternalight turns itself off in steps by default - goes from 4 LED's to 3 to 2 to 1 and then off in 15 minutes total IIRC. Great lights - just not your high powered Cree throw monster but do fine for semi-close or room area light.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I have also seen lights which only operate when your hand/finger touches two strips of metal. Walmart sells a coin cell one under the Garrity name, I've seen a 2xAAA version at a dollar store.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
how do you do that on a freedom?
Do a search, i remember there is a way, look for a discussion awhile back on the photon rex when it was just coming out...or look for posts by a guy called photon light...

edit: i found it...https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2262502

to the OP, Get a Ultrafire C3, and a bunch of cheapie AA batteries, No rechargables to mess with, and a great single mode light.

Crenshaw

Last edited:

rodmeister

Enlightened
Buy a cheap AAA charger and keep one or two AAA's always charging. Then you always have a charged AAA battery.

BTW you are a cool uncle, letting you nephew play with your ARC. Flashlights are fascinating for little kids. He will become a CPF member when he grows up.

Last edited:

hopkins

Enlightened
Hey Stump - Get him a flashlight with a momentary switch only.
Problem solved ! Programmable lights can and will be defeated by children.

Perhaps you could remover the on/off switch from a classic 2Dcell
flashlight (ie rip it off with pliers) and leave the momentary -button
working.

txmatt

Enlightened
We gave some of these as Christmas gifts and they were a big hit with both kids and adults...

http://www.rei.com/product/753129

They run on button cells but are momentary-on. The tails are kinda like carabiner clips.

We also found some under the Zoolight name...

http://www.iqhk.com/

at Whole Earth Provisions. Those either make noise when you push the lever that turns them on or the LED color shifts (looks like on LED with red, green, and blue emitters in it).

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was a thread on this a couple of months ago. Fisher Price has always had a 2C or 2D lantern type light that had an internal switchable red/blue/white filter that would turn itself off after like two or three minutes. One of the posters had dropped an LED upgrade in to replace the pr incan and reported that the timer stretched out to like 15 min before it would shut off, probably because of the reduced current load. Add a gift to the parents of a charger and a pack of cells and you're golden (or to use the new Ringo buzzword 'Shiny'):D