Possible causes of general weakness, lack of energy?

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Maybe this is the wrong place to ask but for about the last two months my mom has not been feeling too well. She's had the chills, general lack of energy, plus pains in some of her joints. The doctor found some sort of upper respiratory infection and gave her antibiotics a few weeks ago but the symptoms are mostly persisting. I'm leaning towards the idea that perhaps all this is diet related because I've had similar symptoms recently, although not as severe, and I don't have any joint pains (except the carpal tunnel syndrome in my hands which I've had since at least my late 20s).

Some of my mother's medical history includes replacement of both hips and one of her shoulders about five or six years ago. She also has mild osteoporosis and somewhat severe scoliosis. The latter is mostly as a result of having had scarlet fever as a young child. She spent two years in the hospital following her illness after the doctors said she would never walk again. Obviously they were wrong. Even as recently as two years ago, she walked 7 miles round trip to one of her doctor's appointments. She turned 69 about a month ago. She was a light smoker most of her adult life, but quit about 15 years ago. Recent X-rays of her lungs show no long term damage from smoking.

Now here's the problem. Over the last few years we've cut a lot of meat out of our diets. To be sure, we never ate anywhere near the amount of meat most Americans eat. However, after reading about factory farming and antibiotics and the generally unhealthy way most meat is raised, starting perhaps eight or ten years ago we cut back on the amount of meat significantly. I'd say on average we ended up eating some sort of meat perhaps 3 or 4 times a week at dinners, and that was it, whereas before it was nearly every night. More recently (over the last year perhaps), we've been lucky to have meatballs with pasta once a week, perhaps Arby's or Burger King every other week. This latter cut back has been due do to mostly finances. We can barely afford non-meat diets, let alone meat. When we do Burger King, it's the dollar menu. For Arby's it's the 2 for 1 coupons.

While I noticed feeling slightly weaker when we cut back to 3 or 4 times a week, it was nothing debilitating. More recently, I've noticed a sharp drop in energy, to the point where I feel like sleeping 12 hours a day, if not more. In my case I attribute some of the lack of energy to the weather being bad and not being able to cycle as often as I'd like. My energy level drops precipitously when I don't get aerobic exercise at least 3 or 4 times a week. My walking 2 to 4 miles a day just doesn't cut it, although it at least gets my core body temperature up enough so I don't have the chills.

Anyway, is it plausible that my mom's symptoms, which in many ways are similar to but worse to my own, are caused by the recent profound lack of meat in our diets? Could that account for the upper respiratory infection which just won't go away? The balance of our diet appears healthy (pasta, legumes once or twice a week, oatmeal or cold cereal for breakfast, etc.) but I tend to think we're missing out on important trace elements by not eating meat-trace elements which aren't present in vitamin supplements because medical science is still not sure of what they are and the amounts needed.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple things you could try. Google blood type diet and get the book and follow it to the letter. There are no fads here or anything expensive to buy other than normal type foods you could get at any store. Type O or A or B have different nutritional needs and this book will help you there. You could be missing out on amino's from the beef. Avoid pork if at all possible, it is not good for any blood type. You may find this book in the library too.
Another thing that is very good for energy is Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar.
Follow the recipe on the bottle, I usually drink it in a rough 16:1 ratio, 1oz of vinegar to 15 or 16 ounces of good water. We usually drink our water through a Brita or Pur water pitcher. Add 4 or 5 drops of Stevia to taste. 3 drinks per day, you'll know QUICKLY if it's working or not. It gave me so much energy I had to cut back some because I'd want to stay up all night too. DO NOT use regular vinegar, it is dead and will not work. It must be Bragg or Spectrum brand with the mother in it. Barring something physically wrong, these should help at least some and are not very expensive. Good luck.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Thanks for the advice. I'll look for the book and either buy it or borrow it. Regarding blood type, we're both O negative. We don't eat pork anyway except an occasional Arby's BLT. Neither of us care for the taste outside of bacon. Most of what little meat we do it is either chicken or chopped meat (usually turkey or beef) for meatballs. Never heard of the apple cider vinegar remedy but anything is worth a try.

I just remembered another thing regarding her symptoms (mine too for that matter). Neither of us have been able to sleep for a normal stretch. In my mom's case, it's mostly caused by pain. In mine, for some reason I'll wake up after 3 hours or less, and then be unable to get back to sleep but also too tired to do anything. Another symptom (for me anyway) is occasional extreme light headedness to the point I just have to lie down right away. If I had to describe it I'd say it's borderline fainting. Don't know if my mom has experienced this also. Problem with me is I can't really fall asleep until I reach this point, and once I do, I can never sleep enough in one stretch so I wake with a decent amount of energy. I never had this problem at all until about seven years ago (partially caused by recurrent nightmares, PTSD from 9/11), and it was only mild/occasional until six months ago.

Possibly related or not, but flooding in our basement last summer plus lots of junk may mean mold. Could that be it? The insurance inspector said she didn't see any signs of it, but some of our symptoms are similar to those from mold. Being that it's affecting both of us, but her a lot more probably due to age, it has to be either dietary or environmental.

Last edited:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whenever I can't sleep I take about 1600-2000 mG of magnesium before bedtime. Or you can soak in Epsom salts in the tub too. Epsom salt is magnesium too. Be prepared for a GOOD bowel movement, mag will loosen things up for ya. It does about 300 functions in your body, a very important mineral. It will relax your muscles and arteries too and is important for blood pressure as well. You may want to get yours checked out, 1 reading in a doctors office doesn't cut it. You must check it 5 or 7 times in a week or 10 days and then average the readings out to get an accurate picture. With the vinegar you will know if your body needs it or not because if it does you will crave it for awhile. In my case I think I was low on potassium because my heartbeat was not regular and I could not hardly drink enough water. I could easily drink 100-120 ounces of water just eating dinner. With the vinegar my water drinking dropped about 75% or so. Amazing stuff, goes back to at least Rome. Two bottles plus the Stevia about $20 or so. You can use molasses or honey too. Personally I like the vinegars taste, some can't handle it without sweetener. DO NOT use artificial sweetener at all, it is poison.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to be sure, also make sure you don't have any carbon monoxide leaks in your home. A couple of cheap detector strips would be worth ruling this out.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is quite likely diet related, BUT the symptoms also are similar to those my wife has had. She was diagnosed with Epstien Bar Syndrome, which is detectable in a blood test. It is commonly known as Yuppie flu to some also I think.

Now in itself it is no fun, and can get rather bad, but it is also linked as a precursor to Lymphoma. We found this out AFTER my wife was diagnosed with Lymphoma several years later. It should have been something her doctor was paying attention to, but she was he one who found the symptoms of Lymphoma also and insisted upon them being checked.

Just something else you may want to check if the diet related things do not pan out.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Just to comment on a few things mentioned so far:

Yes, we do have several CO detectors. They're required by law in NYC private residences anyhow, and they're a good idea even if they weren't. No abnormally high readings. CO was one of the first things that entered my mind actually. Also, I keep the window in the boiler room open a bit just to vent any possible fumes from either combustion or fuel vapors. Long term we plan to convert to a forced-air geothermal heat pump for a variety of reasons, many having to do with improving air quality (oil heat is pretty dirty).

My mom was actually aware of the apple cider vinegar remedy (being of Sicilian background this probably shouldn't be surprising). We'll definitely be trying it. Had to look up what Stevia was. Interesting. Also, +1 on the artificial sweeteners. I've never touched those anyway. Besides being poison, to me they actually taste like poison.

Magnesium sounds like a thought. My mom's physician actually recommend it for her. I'll give it a try myself.

On the BP, we have one of those testers. Mom's pressure has been high for a while. We still don't know why. Two readings I took for myself earlier today were 150/116 (pulse 62) and 135/84 (pulse 60). I attribute those abnormally high readings to the 2 Celeste pizzas loaded wth garlic salt I had last two days, and a few other things I normally don't eat. Normal for me lately is in the 110/65 area, with a resting pulse in the mid-50s. It used to be about 90/60, resting pulse in the 40s, when I exercised more. Yet another reason to get back on the bike when the weather allows.

I'll mention Epstein-Barr to my mom so she can mention it to her doctor. She's getting a blood test next week anyway because this has been going on too long. I at first thought this virus only affected a few ethnic groups based on the name, and that it was sexually transmitted. I was shocked that up to 75% of the world's population might test positive for it, and the transmission vectors include many ways besides sexual. Scary stuff actually. No history of lymphoma or other cancers in our family though, except for smokers. My uncle (dad's brother) died of lymphoma, but he was a very heavy smoker.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtr,

I had a strange but certain-feeling intuition almost immediately upon reading your first post.

How long has it been since your mom's mattress and bedding has been changed? That goes for you as well. Because, after a certain point, a mattress and pillows just plain get over-run with dust mites, and at high levels they cause upper respiratory problems that don't go away.

In any case, it's a good idea to buy a new mattress and pillows at least once every ten years. Also, keep the house vacuumed and clean, as much as you can reasonably manage.

As for diet and lack of energy and all that, well it's a big ole' complicated thing and it's impossible to say anything for sure. But I personally doubt that lack of meat is causing the lack of energy.

I would say make sure you get enough fresh fruit and vegetables, especially celery. AND CUT BACK ON SUGAR, if you eat a lot of it that is.

OK. Those are all my thoughts for now.

J!m

Newly Enlightened
:caution: Have a Lyme Disease test done. :caution:

My girlfriend was recently diagnosed with no recollection of exposure to a tick at all. Weird, to say the least, (particularly in winter) but after a few weeks of "Horse pills" (her words) she will be fine.

I think it's worth a check! If you let it go too far, it can get ugly. I have a friend who has it (didn't know what it was to check) and he has many muscle aches, back problems, and some days he can't get out of bed due to lack of energy. Many joint pains not unlike arthritis symptoms too...

jtr1962

Flashaholic
jtr,

I had a strange but certain-feeling intuition almost immediately upon reading your first post.

How long has it been since your mom's mattress and bedding has been changed? That goes for you as well. Because, after a certain point, a mattress and pillows just plain get over-run with dust mites, and at high levels they cause upper respiratory problems that don't go away.
I'm reasonable certain my mom's mattress is less than 10 years old. Mine is 31 years old but I felt fine even 6 or 7 years ago. I want to get a new mattress anyway as it's long overdue. I'm leaning towards one of those foam things. I tried a foam mattress pad. I found it to be very comfortable. Also, as far as I know, those foam mattresses are closed cell, and hence immune to dust mites. The only downside is they're terribly expensive-more than I can afford right now.

The reason I started this thread is that there was a profound change in both my and my mom's energy level in the last year perhaps, and nothing much has changed in our lifestyle other than diet. That's why I suspected it might be dietary related but I could be wrong. We keep the house as clean as we can. Unfortunately with all my late father's stuff around we can't keep it as clean as we like. We already got rid of the worthless stuff. Problem is most of the rest is baseball cards, figures, stamps, etc. which have some worth. Once that's gone, we can finish cleaning up the basement. Honestly, the house and basement is cleaner now than probably at any time in the last ten years. I wonder if the cumulative effects of all those years of dirt just finally caught up to us? Another distinct possibility is situational depression. A lot of days I wake up and wonder why I even bothered opening my eyes. Neither of us have had much to be happy about lately. Most of the time our lives are like Sisyphus rolling the boulder uphill only to have it come back down. Nothing much either of can do to change that since most of the things which are issues are out of our direct control.

Unfortunately, we're probably not getting a much fruits and vegetables as we should. Along with other foods, they've just gotten too expensive. Besides, most of the store bought stuff tastes terrible. I'll probably go back to growing our own as we did until a few years ago. Yes, too much sugar has always been a problem for me but I used to burn it off right away going cycling. Lately that hasn't been the case. I have a sweet tooth but I've cut down a lot lately as I'm not enjoying it as much as I used to. In fact, lately nuts have been my snack of choice. I prefer the unshelled ones.

J!m said:
:caution: Have a Lyme Disease test done. :caution:
I'll add that to the list of things for my mom's doctor to check for in her next blood test. It might be a possibility given that she spends way more time gardening than I do. Also, she definitely was stung by bees twice last summer. Maybe the poison affected her system somehow? I'm probably not a likely candidate for tick bites though. In the warmer months (from April to October), I pretty much can only go at night to either shop or ride my bike due to the poor air quality during the day. In fact, I've wondered if increased environmental pollution could be the cause of it. Since about the early 1990s the air quality here has gotten noticeably worse due to both more traffic and large vehicles with fewer pollution controls (i.e. SUVs). The prevalance of gardeners with their noisy, smelly blowers hasn't helped things, either. I get nauseous just being within half a block of those gas-powered tools. Ironically, at the same time the buses have gotten way cleaner. First they went to low sulpher diesel fuel. Now a lot of them are CNG, which essentially produces no odorous emissions.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm reasonable certain my mom's mattress is less than 10 years old. Mine is 31 years old but I felt fine even 6 or 7 years ago. I want to get a new mattress anyway as it's long overdue. I'm leaning towards one of those foam things. I tried a foam mattress pad. I found it to be very comfortable. Also, as far as I know, those foam mattresses are closed cell, and hence immune to dust mites. The only downside is they're terribly expensive-more than I can afford right now.

31 years! Get a new one ASAP, IMO. You don't need to get a 100 percent foam mattress, either. Get a nice firm standard spring mattress at a bargain price--and make sure it does NOT have a foam topper on it. Then buy 2 to 3 inches of real memory foam toppers to add on top of it. You get pretty much the same thing as a solid foam mattress (which is mostly latex foam anyway) for a lot less money.

The reason I started this thread is that there was a profound change in both my and my mom's energy level in the last year perhaps, and nothing much has changed in our lifestyle other than diet. That's why I suspected it might be dietary related but I could be wrong.

. . .

Another distinct possibility is situational depression. A lot of days I wake up and wonder why I even bothered opening my eyes. Neither of us have had much to be happy about lately. Most of the time our lives are like Sisyphus rolling the boulder uphill only to have it come back down. Nothing much either of can do to change that since most of the things which are issues are out of our direct control.

Well, that's probably it then, jtr. Nothing like feeling this day in and day out to sap your energy. Look no further for an explanation.

Would you like some advice for getting out of a depression? If so, say the word and I'll give you my own findings, for whatever that's worth.

Unfortunately, we're probably not getting a much fruits and vegetables as we should. Along with other foods, they've just gotten too expensive. Besides, most of the store bought stuff tastes terrible. I'll probably go back to growing our own as we did until a few years ago. Yes, too much sugar has always been a problem for me but I used to burn it off right away going cycling. Lately that hasn't been the case. I have a sweet tooth but I've cut down a lot lately as I'm not enjoying it as much as I used to. In fact, lately nuts have been my snack of choice. I prefer the unshelled ones.

Even just making sure you get one or two apples/oranges/tangerines/lemons/limes/pears/peaches/etc. a day goes a long way towards your health. And celery--even the low quality grocery store stuff--is a really good thing to keep in your diet.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Would you like some advice for getting out of a depression? If so, say the word and I'll give you my own findings, for whatever that's worth.
Go ahead. I'm curious as to what worked in your case. I know if the situation here was different, we both would be happier. Part of the problem is that besides the situation aggravating me, it aggravates my mom, and then she takes it out on me. Lots of days I wake up having her go on complaining about my father's junk or the garage full of my brother's car parts. I try to tell her to have a little more patience but she wants it all done yesterday. I guess she's taking out a lot of her frustration with her late husband on me. :(

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
it's hard to get a work up for this kind of thing. There is so much goofy information floating around out there on similar things that people go to their docs with a long list of potential problems that the doc never heard of and would have no recommendations for anyway since no studies have been done. So you get a lot of really strange ideas reading the internet.

But it is possible to rule out the short list of real known illnesses that it can be. Lyme is a good thing to check. Glad you've already checked the CO, but be aware those sensors don't last forever so if it's been many years since you last purchased one it might no longer be giving valid readings. I would also ask about seeing an allergist. Even if they can't immediately tell exactly what is new in your environment that you might be reacting to they can do an overall inflammation test that can see if you're having a reaction to something systemically. Might not hurt to run some mold test kits in the house too, but ultimately only the blood test can tell if you personally are reacting negatively to something in the house.

When MARNAV1 warns about the intestinal effects of magnesium supplements, I think he's understating the effect ;) I experimented with that for some headache problems (wasn't the problem) and the effects were more like overdosing on miralax than taking a vitamin. Your actual requirements of that are fairly low and unless you have some malabsorption genetic disorder it's unlikely to make a difference. Is possible though, and easy to experiment with when you have a day where you don't have to leave the bathroom. Dont take it and get in the car for a day long drive downstate though... you'll never make it. And having an overeager digestive system for more than a day or so will cause real nutritional problems! So don't do that for very long, it's definitely not good for you.

Simply not eating a lot of meat is unlikely to cause you trouble unless you're not making up for what you need from other sources. It's easy to get many nutrients and protein from meat once in a while. It takes some knowledge and study to do the same without meat. Make absolutely sure you're getting what you need, and just taking a vitamin pill with a salad is not the same as eating a steak. You must get the lions share of your nutrients from actual food. No vitamin or supplement can make that up for you long term. That being said, most of your fears about antibiotics and hormones and whatnot are not as big an issue as they are often made out to be. Meat is actually tested. If the animal requires drugs then they aren't allowed to slaughter it while it's on them. And despite what the organic food producers might tell you, our milk and meat are not loaded with these things, they aren't allowed to be and they are tested. The hormone levels in regular grocery store beef are no different than what you'd get by raising the thing yourself. Look up the specifics on a site that isn't selling organic produce or vitamins. Eating a pork chop or a steak once a week wont hurt you in the least.

You mention seasonal effective disorder as a possibility. This is a real problem for some folks with potentially debilitating effects. Watch out for the hype though. There are a lot of light box products that are out there that are not tested, don't put out enough light and cost TONS of money! What's important is the amount of light and the time you spend exposed to it, not necessarily the spectrum or any other magical things that they might be selling. As all unregulated medical devices, try to read about them at some place that isn't selling them and when you read peoples stories about them remember that no number of anecdotes equates with real data. Pay attention to reports of build quality and construction quality and measured output, not how much someone felt better using it.

Another option for depression or Seasonal Affective depression is of course medication. nobody yet has really suggested that. But once you rule out the physical things that might be impacting you, then you're left with the mental chemistry which changes throughout the day and much more over the course of our lives. You'll find a lot of people here, and on the internet in general, are very negative on these medications wishing you instead to try various strange concoctions or just suggesting you should get over it. But if you could get over it you wouldn't be asking the question in the first place. The drugs are given far more often than they need to be because in the current climate of medicine in this country it's easier to prescribe a well tolerated pill with no longer term side effects in the good chance that it will help rather than sign you up for longer term therapy which will leave you in the lurch in the short term. If her doc wants to put her on something to try to help in the short term while you sort out the rest, try not to be negative about that. She can always stop the pills in a few weeks if you find a different cause, or if she is one who suffers worse side effects than normal. Among my circle of friends are people who have had hard times and taken these drugs for a short time with no improvement who stopped, and those that are taking them long term and who would not be with us if not for the medication. If your brain is setup in a way to benefit from them then they are like a miracle. You wake up that next day and you can get out of bed and go to work where before you could not. Unfortunately there is no test to see which drug is best for which person. There are some rules of thumb given the symptom list on what to try first, but it is trial and error. If you get it right though they can be a miracle. And if you don't end up needing them, you've ruled that out and you just stop taking them.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another thing to look for may be an autoimmune disorder. It seems unlikely that both of you would have this at the same time but, IIRC, it can be environmentally caused.

general lack of energy, plus pains in some of her joints

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something else to consider, "Hormones". Depression, Stress can effect your hormones, and imbalanced hormones can cause Depression, Anxiety, Fatigue, among a lot of other seemingly unrelated symptoms. Hormones need to be balanced in both Men and Women. They're easily thrown off, which cause all kinds of problems. If your mother has gone through menopause, that could cause a lot of different symptoms. Your hormomes could be off from Stress alone. I'd get yours, and your mother's hormone levels checked. It's good to get them checked out anyway. Let me know if you want more info about it.

As far as meat, you could be lacking in Protein. That's easy to test, just add more meat to your diet and see if it helps. You can also be lacking in Vitamin B-12, which is found in meat and dairy. That's also easy to test, by taking a B Complex Vitamin. It could be a lot of different things, some more serious then others. It's best to find out sooner then later though. Start by checking the easy things first, and go from there. Don't give up though.

Good luck.

Last edited:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds to me like the most likely culprit based on your info is mold, probably black mold as you mentioned the basement flood. Unless you did something to eliminate it you can almost guarantee that a basement flooded=mold. Mold is not too hard to elminiate - bleach will kill it and also high levels of ozone. If you get one of those heavy duty ozonators - stay out of the house for a couple days or do it only when you are away otherwise the excess ozone may be bad for you. Lack of meat is unlikely a problem but get some canned salmon in the big cans - not farm raised - it's reasonable and it's good meat that you can try if you think you are lacking that. Also try MSM - great for energy and fighting all kinds of aches as well as infections. Very affordable stuff too - get the book by Dr. Stanley Jacobs - The Miracle of MSM (about $12). Also make sure you are getting plenty of Vitamin C - like about 20 times the RDA - as the RDA is insanely low. Other suggestions here are mostly good too.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go ahead. I'm curious as to what worked in your case. I know if the situation here was different, we both would be happier. Part of the problem is that besides the situation aggravating me, it aggravates my mom, and then she takes it out on me. Lots of days I wake up having her go on complaining about my father's junk or the garage full of my brother's car parts. I try to tell her to have a little more patience but she wants it all done yesterday. I guess she's taking out a lot of her frustration with her late husband on me. :(

You're curious?

:thinking:

Sounds to me as if

1. You don't mind being depressed all that much

and

2. You maybe have good reason to be depressed.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
You're curious?

:thinking:

Sounds to me as if

1. You don't mind being depressed all that much

and

2. You maybe have good reason to be depressed.
Yes, we both have lots of good reasons to be depressed at this point in time, and no, I do if fact mind. I asked because maybe you have some coping mechanisms I'm unaware of. Cope is all we can really do for the present. I'm actually asking more for my mom than for me. Right now it's a vicious cycle. She'll get upset about things which is perfectly understandable. However, by yelling and taking it out on me my energy level to do anything about it falls by about a factor of ten. Unlike with some people, yelling and brow-beating me has opposite the intended effect. Anything you might suggest to help my mom cope a little better would be appreciated. Being that it's coming from a third party, she might actually be a bit more receptive to it since most of my suggestions seem to fall on deaf ears.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Might not hurt to run some mold test kits in the house too, but ultimately only the blood test can tell if you personally are reacting negatively to something in the house.
This is what I was thinking as well. Is there a specific blood test to ask for to see if there is some reaction to mold or some other environmental thing? As I said earlier, she'll be getting a blood test in the near future, so we might as well make it as comprehensive as possible. The thing that has me worried most is her constantly feeling cold, even in rooms where I might feel comfortable, or even hot.

When MARNAV1 warns about the intestinal effects of magnesium supplements, I think he's understating the effect ;)
Oh, so that's why I spent so much time in the bathroom the other day. :D I tried a magnesium capsule. Maybe it did help. I felt a little better last few days but it could also be a placebo effect. A capsule once in a while certainly won't hurt, but because of the "side effects" it definitely won't be overdosing on magnesium or having the overeager disgestive system you were concerned about.

Simply not eating a lot of meat is unlikely to cause you trouble unless you're not making up for what you need from other sources. It's easy to get many nutrients and protein from meat once in a while. It takes some knowledge and study to do the same without meat. Make absolutely sure you're getting what you need, and just taking a vitamin pill with a salad is not the same as eating a steak. You must get the lions share of your nutrients from actual food. No vitamin or supplement can make that up for you long term.
Interestingly, shortly after I wrote the first post I convinced my mom to have meat a few times to see if it helped. I can't say yet if it helped her much but I've felt somewhat better. I actually had the energy to do some major cleaning downstairs which I had put off for a month. That's why I said the magnesium may have been a placebo effect as I took it at the same time I ate more meat. I've heard the same things as you regarding low-meat/no meat diets. People can live on them but it's a lot harder balancing your diet. And thanks for the info on the hormones. I didn't think it was a huge problem given that even in good times, meat was something we ate way less of than most Americans. However, my mom's over-concern about hormones/antibiotics was a big part of the reason for her cutting down, and we may have both paid the price for that.

You mention seasonal effective disorder as a possibility. This is a real problem for some folks with potentially debilitating effects. Watch out for the hype though. There are a lot of light box products that are out there that are not tested, don't put out enough light and cost TONS of money! What's important is the amount of light and the time you spend exposed to it, not necessarily the spectrum or any other magical things that they might be selling. As all unregulated medical devices, try to read about them at some place that isn't selling them and when you read peoples stories about them remember that no number of anecdotes equates with real data. Pay attention to reports of build quality and construction quality and measured output, not how much someone felt better using it.
Actually I mentioned situational depression but since you bought it up SAD may be a distinct possibility here. My mom stopped going for daily walks last few months on account of her foot hurting. Less time outdoors=less exposure to sunlight=possibility of all sorts of problems. I even noticed with myself that if I only go out at night for a few weeks in a row it will affect me, so lately I'm trying to do some of my walks when the sun is still up.

Another option for depression or Seasonal Affective depression is of course medication. nobody yet has really suggested that.
Probably an option of last resort here but yet another thing to suggest to my mother, mainly for her moods that I mentioned in earlier. They did actually help a friend of mine greatly in that regard, which surprised me. In all likelihood though she would react badly since she seems to have side effects with practically anything much stronger than aspirin. I'm actually the same way. Something like penicillin will keep me practically bedridden for the entire week I'm taking it due to extreme fatigue. Still, thanks for mentioning antidepressants as a possible option. Based on what you wrote, it sounds like even in best cases a lot of experiementation is involved finding what, if anything, works for you. Also, thanks for your lengthy, very informative post. I'll be printing this thread in its entirety and passing the info along to mom.