My funniest run-in with a budding flashaholic to date.

maxa beam

Banned
Alright. So I'm taking a walk and I decide to bring my Beast II that just came in the mail a week or so ago. I flip it on every now and then, so the bulb is warm anyways. I'm just about to return to the house when I decide to step into the local Dollar General and holster my Beast.
The moment I was waiting for.
POWER OUTAGE, BOYS.
We had been having some pretty bad winds lately and I guess it caused some temporary problem, but I unholstered the Beast and flipped LED mode on while browsing through the isles. Emergency lights were only lighting up on one side of the store. Anyhow. Some guy with a 3D mag glances at my Beast and coughs noticeably. "Um.. Dude. Your light is kind of dim. Maybe you should buy one of these pups." He said, pulling up his M*G. Well, I took it in fake amazement. "WOOOW, it's bright!" I said. "Where do I get one!?" He wrote it on a pad of paper he had in his pocket and handed it to me, bearing the name of some store. I flipped my Beast on high and the paper looked as though it would burst into flames. Who knows, a few seconds and it might have. He sheilded his eyes and I turned the Beast off, holstering it and handing him the paper back, now hot to the touch.
Power goes back on in a few minutes. By this time he's gone.

Whoo, funny stuffs.

jufam44

Enlightened
That's a real hoot, Maxa Beam. Where did you buy your beast from, if I may ask?

IcantC

Enlightened
Wow that is a funny story hahaha. Any pics of your holster? Eel skin?

maxa beam

Banned
Optics planet.

No, no pictures on me at the minute. But eel skin is this reddish pinkish pleather-like material. Very soft, the reason I picked it.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
Maxa Beam, that's the kinda story we live for. I love it when some average guy tries to play the hero and sticks his foot in his mouth in the process.

Years ago we went water skiing with another family ... including one very proficient skier. He was in the water waiting for the tow boat to get ready when some stranger on another boat figured him a newbie and started shouting 'helpful tips' ... like keeping your skis together when you are being pulled out of the water.

"Oh like this?" :thinking: and his skis went all wide and goofy.

"No, no, TOGETHER, keep them TOGETHER!" the interloper replied.

"Ohhhh, OK" he shouts back. When the tow boat finally pulled him out of the water, he headed directly for the stranger's boat, turning away only at the last possible moment and creating a massive fan of water that completely covered the other boat.

It was one of those rare moments you could have wet yourself laughing. :crackup:

DM51

Flashaholic
LOL, I always knew we must have a few nuts on this forum. Here's a guy who goes around EDC-ing a SF Beast in an eel-skin. Way to go, maxa beam!

MarkIAlbert

Newly Enlightened
Heres another story.

Back when the NY Giants were trying to get to the Superbowl, some friends of ours had a party. It was about 9:00 at night and some of the kids wanted to go outside and play 'manhunt'. Each of the kids went looking for flashlights. I beeped my car and told my 12 year son to grab a light from the back.

About 5 minutes later, the living room of my friends house explodes in light from what appears to be a police car coming down the driveway. Everyone looks left and right to see what might be going on.

As we open the front door to the house to see what's what, one of the younger kids rushes into the house all upset. His mother asked him what was wrong. The boy said that one of the kids wasn't being fair.

...My son had apparently found the Amondotech buried in my gear bag.

MarkIAlbert

Newly Enlightened
By the way, how do you like the Beast? Is it worth the investment (Coolest toy on the block factor aside)?

Is the insullation good enough that you don't have to worry about trashing the thing under rough use?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
...My son had apparently found the Amondotech buried in my gear bag.

:crackup:

Thats great!

As for the dude with the Maglite, don't be too hard on him. He's likely just an average guy who honestly didn't know any better, and was just trying to be helpful.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
"As for the dude with the Maglite, don't be too hard on him. He's likely just an average guy who honestly didn't know any better, and was just trying to be helpful."

True enough, but I'm getting increasingly sick of people who still believe Maglite to be an 'elite' quality light.:shrug:

I just had an argument with a guy on BITOG (an oil forum) about this. :mad:

They use the same Kryptdud bulb that dollar store flashlights use, fer cryin' out loud. There are $5 lights at Target that come stock with a xenon bulb. :rolleyes:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
It doesnt help that People with ROP HIs have mags with the stock look, with crazy lumens....

Just leave these "Maglites are the best lights in the whole world" people alone with a smug "you have NO idea what youre missing out on"

Crenshaw

Monocrom

Flashaholic
.... I'm getting increasingly sick of people who still believe Maglite to be an 'elite' quality light.:shrug:

I just had an argument with a guy on BITOG (an oil forum) about this. :mad:

Did you give him a link to CPF, and tell him to drop by? :)