Backup 6P LED a good idea?

Stainz

Enlightened
This is probably crazy, BUT... a local shop still has a couple of 6P LEDs for $66.95. I got my first S-F, one of those lights, last week. They have all of the other S-F stuff at pennies off of the regular mail order/retail prices everyone else has - just the 'deal' on these 6P LEDs (6P or G2 LED is $59). I had thought about a backup for my car - and, I have ~$75 play money left for the month, so, another 6P LED and pair of spares would likely be OTD at $75, like the first one. As much as I like this light - and it's run time - it seems like a great idea - one for the house & one for my Jeep. I am also considering a Fenix T1, but my first Fenix, that 4n1 set, hasn't arrived yet, so I have yet to 'handle' a PRC Fenix light. I am also wondering if this 6P will served double duty as a base for a hyper/turbo/super future drop-in, as it seems so well made. Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks!

John (aka 'Stainz')

jbosman1013

Enlightened
The T1 is a great light with far more output that a 6PL, the low mode of the T1 is similar in output to the 6PL. The 6P IMO is the prefect host for all the great drop-in's.

USM0083

Enlightened
I keep a G2L as my truck light. It's bright enough for use in and around a vehicle, and has great runtime. I prefer lithium primaries for a vehicle light because they are more stable around the temperature spread a vehicle will go through, and the nitrolon body is very comfortable in hand, especially in the cold without gloves.

bigfoot

Enlightened
How does that saying go, "Two is one, and one is none."

If you have two 6P LEDs you could easily swap accessories between them and it would be really easy to upgrade them in the future (SF P61L LED assembly due out sometime). Like you mentioned, you could have one for a house and one for the vehicle -- that's a great idea.

And for that price it's a bargain!

:twothumbs

jufam44

Enlightened
If you get a 6P led, you can always put in either a P61L led assembly or a Lumens Factory D26 Lamp Assembly. And the 6p is one of the most versatile hosts with tons of dropins made for it. I'd say +1 on the 6P.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always keep a G2L in my car as a backup light and both are about the same! Go for the 6PL, you won't regret it!

roymail

Enlightened
HERE'S at NIB SF 6P for $37.00 ($42.00 shipped) which is a screaming deal. Perfect host for P60 drop-in's. Sounds like you have plenty of "play money" for lots of drop-in's available on the market now.

The DX #6090 is $10.00 which would make the 6P a perfect vehicle light... and you've enough left for a nice dinner out with the family. :naughty:

mebiuspower

Newly Enlightened
I have my G2L in my car at all times. The plastic body works better for me as it's not affected by extreme temperature and won't get dinged when dropped.

Like the 6P it's definitely future-proof for any upgrades done later.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Noob here so take this with a grain of salt.

You have to ask yourself...
how many Lumens do you really need?
how much throw do you really need?
how much flood do you really need?
how much run-time are you willing to sacrifice to get any combination of the 3 above?

IMHO an 80 lumen G2L/6PL can be more than adequate in many close proximity applications. You factor in the long run times for both and it can be a very good choice, where climbing the lumen-ladder (and spending more $$$) only leads to a point of diminishing returns.

As a Noob... I am trying to figure this all out for myself. I started with a Cree task-force, but its just too big and heavy, but I like its beam pattern for certain things, but at times its hot spot is a little too hot. One thing I've learned is ~100-150L is about all I really need. That led me to my next purchase, the ebay $42 6P and a DX drop in + rechargeables. The P61L looks interesting and might be a worthy candidate as a next level step-up from here, if it can keep pace with the BOG or Eugenes design.

I still think a Cabela's or DX clone can be a good choice too, for a glove-box beater or mod host on a tight budget.

I think you should really wait for your Fenix set to arrive... see how that goes first. That ebay seller always seems to have batches of 6Ps for sale.

Good Luck with your choice!!

Last edited:

redbird

Enlightened
HERE'S at NIB SF 6P for $37.00 ($42.00 shipped) which is a screaming deal. Perfect host for P60 drop-in's. Sounds like you have plenty of "play money" for lots of drop-in's available on the market now.

The DX #6090 is $10.00 which would make the 6P a perfect vehicle light... and you've enough left for a nice dinner out with the family. :naughty:

Thanks for the tip on this light. I just ordered one. Great deal as I have been watching them closely on Ebay.

roymail

Enlightened
I've got to get me a G2 for my car... and I'm thinking about an LED headband light (or headlight or whatever). It's kind of hard changing a tire with one hand while I holding the light with the other. :green:

Stainz

Enlightened
The local store has the Fenix goodies at their regular price - and most of S-F, too. Oddly, the 6P LED is $67 and the G2L is $56... my dilema is simple, buy the 6P for $42 and a S-F P60L for $$35 w s/t, I'll have more in the light - and an incand head I don't need. My first 6P LED was $75 inc s/t and two spare S-F 123s... my second one wouldn't be any more. Plus - I'd be broke - and have two functional 6P LEDs! If I order those D-X 6090, etc, heads, my tax check will clear before I see that!. Seemed like a plan...

Hey, too late today, anyhow - I may get by there Tuesday - if it's 'in-stock', I'll grab another 6P LED - else, I'll order the 6P, etc...

I just got my first Fenix - the '4in1' set, neat. Still, that S-F 6P LED is really good quality... and US-made...

Stainz