Bright-Star Light Hawk Mod - Looking for LED Options

MarkIAlbert

Newly Enlightened
I have a Bright-Star Light Hawk lantern that I keep in my car. I take the light on fire calls with the intent to use it, but more often than not, end up grabbing my Amondotech N30 instead. The Light hawk is great in that it is a rail-mount rechargeable, has flickering red/white LEDs in the back (SOS beacon), is temperature resistant, is fluorescent orange and is lightweight.

But at 260 lumens, it is just not bright enough.

I went out and bought a Streamlight HID Lightbox - theoretically designed for the mission I need it for, but that lantern is just too huge and heavy. It spends most of its time on the floor of my basement.

What I realliy want to do is swap out the 12watt Koehler bulb and replace it with something much brighter. I'd consider a a multi-LED head modification, provided it does not kill the throw (which is needed to pierce through smoke filled rooms).

LED's seem to be a good possibility as the light uses rechargeable Lions (7.5v @ 1.65 amps). I'm thinking "Wait for an SSC P7", but figured hey maybe there's a fellow flashaholic out there who has a good idea. The standard bulb used by the Light Hawk looks like this:
20070228093623_Photo2.jpg

The reflector is about the size of the N30 reflector - about 3" in diameter at the front.

Any thoughts/recommendations? I have a related post in the incandescent lamps forum - maybe there is a better bulb...

Last edited: