Inova X1 - What Version Is Mine?

LightGrunt0311

Newly Enlightened
Howdy,

I just picked up an Inova X1 from crappy Fry's with a 5mm LED in the middle (not the one with a square thing in the middle). What version is mine? What's the approx. runtime on my version? Is this version any good?

Thanks.

Semper Fi

Marduke

Flashaholic
You have the Gen 2, with Nichia CS LED and ~10 hour runtime. It's generally preferred over the 2.0watt Gen 3 with horrible runtime and blinking nature.

LightGrunt0311

Newly Enlightened
Is the beam profile a small spot or like a regular flashlight?
It looks like a regular flashlight to me. When you look at the end of the light, you can clearly see an LED (looks like a bulb). It doesn't look like the "tiros" system.

Illum

Flashaholic
It looks like a regular flashlight to me. When you look at the end of the light, you can clearly see an LED (looks like a bulb). It doesn't look like the "tiros" system.

there are no TIROS in the X1, gen I was a convex optic of some sort similar to riverrock's Jupiter LED lights [this and this] that puts out a spotlight with absolutely no spill

if it looks like this its a gen II

Gen II vs. Gen I

Gen III Inova X1 looks like this
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2001953&postcount=12

Last edited:

THE PUNISHER

Newly Enlightened
I am a fan of gen 1 i have 3,and 2 gen II,whatz the run time and and info thanx........

jdong

Newly Enlightened
Gen III has around a 2-3 hr runtime on alkalines before you start noticing the light decay, and then a pretty long moon mode that can last another 5 hours. Between the moon and full, there is a 15-minute flickering period which gets annoying.

Gen II I've heard is around 10 hours? Either way, very impressive runtime but not as bright.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
10 hours from a Gen II X1 is about what I'm getting from mine. A very useful, floody beam, too. Great light for backpacking trips... light and long burntime.

LightGrunt0311

Newly Enlightened
I just got the X1 Gen. III for my pops (he's an engineer) and he seems to like it.

I perfer the Gen. II because of the long runtime. It's a great emergency light IMO.

I also got my GF the Gen. II and she likes it so far. She says the SL Pro 4AA Lux is too heavy for her purse, lol~! Same goes for the Maglite 2AA w/3LED Drop-in. :-(

jdong

Newly Enlightened
All the X-series use momentary-on pushy-twisties. IMO the X1 one is not as reliable/firm as the X5/XO/XO3 ones.

If you are considering purchasing an X1 3rd gen, IMO there's lights out there that cost just a few bucks more that provide better runtime, brightness, or functionality.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. And no, I'm not thinking about getting an X1 any time soon, I am just curious in case they update it with the same treatment they've given the T series. An X1 with a forward clicky and a K2 TFFC, 45-60 lumens, and good regulation would be awesome.

jdong

Newly Enlightened
I simply don't see inova putting a serious emitter in the X1 anytime soon. The T1 is probably as close as you'll get

Monocrom

Flashaholic
When I heard how huge the drop was in runtime when the Gen. III model was introduced, I made a special trip to Target to pick up one of the last Gen. II models they still had on the rack. I like Inova, but they went backwards with the Gen. III version.

jdong

Newly Enlightened
When I heard how huge the drop was in runtime when the Gen. III model was introduced, I made a special trip to Target to pick up one of the last Gen. II models they still had on the rack. I like Inova, but they went backwards with the Gen. III version.

I don't entirely think so -- the brightness of the Gen III units is significantly improved and it still is one of the floodiest 1AA lights I own, and the warm tint is great for working at stuff at close range, particularly inside a computer case where little shiny surfaces could cause SSC/Cree's to blind you even on low.

Stainz

Enlightened
I had a 3rd gen X1 from last summer - loved it. Added a dimmer black 2nd gen in Jan (Target - old stock!) - and another 3rd gen Friday - closeout $14. I did this because my original 3rd gen had mysteriously lost it's greater brightness - yet retained it's high, and varying, current draw. I was prepared to send that original one back to Inova - even have a RMA for same. I elected to compare the newest and oldest - opened a fresh pack of alkaline Rayovac AAs... oops! They were equivalent! I tested my open pack - 1.35-1.38V - the fresh pack was 1.60-1.61V. The open pack were 'pullouts' from a roboT! Check your batteries - the newest X1 seems to lose regulation below 1.35V - perhaps the pulsing some have noted. I haven't tried them on NiMH yet - maybe not a great idea. Lithiums, at 1.75V, may not be the answer, either... but lifespan would likely be ~6 hr at full brightness.

I guess, despite it's AA appetite, I prefer the current version - a steal at 'closeout' price... and a decent buy at it's regular $20 - especially for a well-made, and made in the USA, flashlite for the pocket or purse.

John

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I don't entirely think so -- the brightness of the Gen III units is significantly improved and it still is one of the floodiest 1AA lights I own, and the warm tint is great for working at stuff at close range, particularly inside a computer case where little shiny surfaces could cause SSC/Cree's to blind you even on low.

The long runtime combined with decent output is what the X1 was known for. Yup, output went up; at the expense of runtime.... a lot of runtime.

Floodiest 1AA I've seen is the River Rock 1watt 1AA model. Comes with a nice pocket clip. Ironically, also available at Target.