HDS-120 question

hotdog

Newly Enlightened
When you twist for different levels does it unscrew the head or does it twist click into the level?:popcorn:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
The body of the light twist not the head.From what Henry has said there is no click just turn for low med and high

txmatt

Enlightened
I'll assume you're referring to the HDS/Ra Twisty lights, models including 70-Tr, 70-Tw, and 100-Tw which are often discussed in the Marketplace thread labelled HDS-120.

In that thread, Henry was asked...

"I'm assuming that the light starts in an 'off' position, then you twist it to each level? Do they start bright first, or dim first? Smooth action, or is there a "click"?"

to which he replied...

"Off, low, medium, high. No clicks - just twist until you get the brightness setting you want."

It's my understanding that the Twisty is 2 main pieces, the head and the body (no separate tailcap for switch and/or battery removal). If it works like most lights, by tightening the body on the head, at some point you activate the switch. At that point, continued tightening would cycle through low, medium, and high. Once on high, loosening/unscrewing the the body from the head would cycle from high to medium, low, and then off. I'm assuming that you just keep unscrewing the body to separate it from the head and gain battery access.

Of course, having not used one this is an assumption, but don't know how else it would work from the explanations we already have.

hotdog

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info Matt. Thats a bummer I want a twisty switch that doesn't unscrew when twisted. It might be the toughest most time tested switching but I hate the idea of taking apart the light just to turn it on and off. :confused:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy hotdog, and welcome to CPF,
I honestly wouldn't be to concerned about the level switching on this new light. I seriously doubt that Henry would have spent so much time and attention to detail designing and building this light, only to have the switching mechanism require you to take the light apart just to turn it on/off.

So, I would say you are making much ado about nothing at this point. The lights should be shipping soon, and then we will have first hand reports of exactly how everything works...... hopefully along with some nice beamshots!!! :)

scottaw

Enlightened
+1 i'm sure that in the fully off position there's still no worry of water intrusion or any "loose feeling" Check out SF tailcap twisty's...L1 is off threads are still rock solid and no wtaer is getting in, i'm betting the HDS works the same.