Blade-Tech M3 holster

kev1-1

Enlightened
Ok, I just received a holster for the SureFire M3 from Blade-Tech /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

First off...it comes with the Tek-Lok system for securing to your belt, which is excellent IMHO. Tek-Lok allows you to quickly unclip/clip the holster to your belt without removing it (or sliding other items off!). Equally it allows for vertical or horizontal carriage of the light...although it doesn't seem to allow an inclined carriage / which I would have liked. Finally, it incorporates a belt-size adjuster which could be useful. Although, I think that on thin/narrow belts the wieght of the M3 will bend the belt, even with this feature.

The holster itself, I guess, is made of Kydex (black) and at first glance appear very solid. The holster is a bezel down style, and the hex bezel of the M3 slides in smoothly. The holster has tension adjustment screws which I assume allow you to make the light REALLY secure if you want to carry it 'upside down'. On that point due to the length of the M3, vertical carriage does result in the tailcap riding quite high. Perhaps a deeper holster could have solved this. All in all the M3 slides in/out smoothly but is held securely!! Bezel down also protects the lens and allows for quick draw, but obviously means no filters on the light.

To conclude a well made holster, which will make it much easier to carry the M3 when camping, walking...what ever you crazy people do! My only "minor" complaint is that postage was high /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif and that responces to e-mail were initially hard to get /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif Other than that I can strongly recommend this holster! Hope that wasn't to boring, sorry!

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the review, i'm considering one myself. blade tec puts out some quality stuff but they are slow to answer emails, if they answer at all. they had a very long backlog at one time, but were telling people they would ship when they obviously were not. so i'm a little on the fence for that reason. also, your comment on the ride heighth has me wondering a little too.

but, in my search for a kydex M3 holster i found nobody else that makes one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

how long did you wait for the holster? how much did it set you back? i'm curious about their "shipping" charge too. does the holster "snap" into place, or is it a "friction" fit?

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
chanting ............pics! pics! pics!........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Told ya they could be a pain in the arse to get in touch with but I'm glad they came through for you Kev, and glad you took the risk, Thanks for the review!!!

They use Concealex which is patented by Blade-tech and manufactered for them by Kleerdex corp. the same manufacturer of Kydex. Concealex is the only thermosplastic alloy which comes in patterns such as camo's and even carbon fibre and is only available in sheet form through Blade-tech. And they take their sweet time in getting it to you too. The material takes on more definition in the forming process but is a little trickier to work with in the heating process.

What was the lead time involved for the holster as I plan on getting one.

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kev1-1

Enlightened
Sorry...no way for my to post pics...sorry again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
However, the holster termed M3 on their website is NOT for the SureFire light...it is for an IT weapon light. You have to contact them to get the SureFire version.

They said two weeks to make it and they took spot on two weeks! Fedex to the UK left Monday and arrived yesterday, not bad.

The holster cost $29.99 and shipping for you lucky US types is only $5. UK is a stupid $30!!! More stupid is that I paid it, but I had no choice as I to couldn't find an alternative and I wanted to take my M3 camping in an accessible way!

tkl, I guess you mean how the holster attaches to you belt? The Tek-Lok allows you to snap it into place, but you could slide it round if you want. The M3 slides into the holster and is held by friction. I think they coat the inside of the holster with something to make it 'slippy' (technical term!).

tsg...Concealex it is then! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I suspected as much!

I just compared the ride height to my Z2 in V70, and for bezel down carry the blade-tech holster is at least twice as deep. Although it could be deeper, I don't think it will really bother me that much.

kev1-1

Enlightened
One more thing...I currently have the charlie tail-cap on the M3, so the regular tail-cap would make the light less long!
Well, just another thing I noticed...the base of the holster is incomplete so that light escapes if you left the light on by mistake. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif