Surefire L6, does it need a mod? **UPDATE**

Groundhog66

Banned
I am getting an L6 as soon as I raise the fundage, but I have a question. Does it really require a mod to be satisfactory, or does the beam not suck as bad as most older stock Surefires (yes, perhaps a bit harsh). I am not looking to do anything multi emitter, or anything crazy. What has anyone out there done to tweak theirs.....emitter, emitter AND circuitry?? Just curious, it looks to be a really promising host if the beam quality can meet my expectations.

Tim

Edit - Well, here it is. I just got it in the mail today, SOB1000 w/LuxK2-TFFC pushing 209 lumens of regulated bliss. I really cannot say enough about the tint on these emitters, just awesome.

DSC02049.jpg

DSC02050.jpg

DSC02051.jpg

DSC02052.jpg

Last edited:

0dBm

Newly Enlightened
Re: Surefire L6, does it need a mod?

The LuxV LED was adequate if a bit greenish in mine. It had a big hotspot with good throw due to the large, deep reflector.

I installed a SSC P4 and it now has a much smaller hospot and greater throw. I am pleased.

The mod was quite easy. Remove three screws, desolder the old emitter, and install the new one.

Groundhog66

Banned

The LuxV LED was adequate if a bit greenish in mine. It had a big hotspot with good throw due to the large, deep reflector.

I installed a SSC P4 and it now has a much smaller hospot and greater throw. I am pleased.

The mod was quite easy. Remove three screws, desolder the old emitter, and install the new one.

I am thinking of getting a Q5 put in it, does the stock driver handle it well?

Groundhog66

Banned

It is not a good investment in modding a discontinued light.

Not looking for an investment, I am looking for a real keeper. I have heard nothing but positive things about the KL6, plus the price is dropping now that the new models will come out later this year.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast

It might be cheaper to wait and get a KL9 and a three cell body. If you want to go the mod route (and I don't blame you, the KL6/M3 body combo is sweet) then I'd suggest Milky. He did a multi emitter setup in an L6P a while back.

Groundhog66

Banned

It might be cheaper to wait and get a KL9 and a three cell body. If you want to go the mod route (and I don't blame you, the KL6/M3 body combo is sweet) then I'd suggest Milky. He did a multi emitter setup in an L6P a while back.

I have had the multi-emitter mods before, they are too extravagant sometimes. I am just thinking of a REALLY nice single emitter running JUST hard enough.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast

The KL6 was my first Surefire back when there were no Crees or SSCs. On its own its sufficient to please, however now when compared to an average Cree or SSC light, the KL6 can leave much to be desired.

In this thread Supernam and I both modded our KL6 with an SSC emitter. He had the driver bumped up so that the emitter is seeing 1A, mine on the other hand was just a straight swap of the emitter and the driver is is left stock at 670mah.

The result is amazing! No more doughnut hole and the output and throw is at least doubled...

Some CPFers(Dafabricata) have modded the KL6 with a Cree, and its said to to be super thrower, more than a SSC, but the spill is not as much as the original LuxV or a SSC.

Bottom line: I never sell my KL6!

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Stock driver works since it's a buck only. 9v is higher than the Vf of even a LuxV, so it's pure buck and will work with any led with a lower Vf than 9v..

The KL5 is buck/boost (like U2) probably so therefore it won't work well with a direct emitter swap to a lower Vf single die LED.

So KL6, swap emitters away!

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have one of these...

medium.jpg
medium.jpg

medium.jpg
medium.jpg

SSC P4, nowadays Q5 would be better. Then upgrading of the circuits would be in order to bump the standard 700mA to 1A drive.

All the best in your choice...

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Hog,
My L6 should be coming in today, and the first thing I'm going to do Is, Send It to Milkyspit.
I'm getting a K2T and a SOB1000 installed for some throw.
Btw, Knifeart.com has the L6 for $225

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast

I didn't realize the emitter was only being driven at 700mA......

I need to have the output on mine bumped up!
Who does the circuit mod for higher output?

Groundhog66

Banned

Hey Hog,
My L6 should be coming in today, and the first thing I'm going to do Is, Send It to Milkyspit.
I'm getting a K2T and a SOB1000 installed for some throw.
Btw, Knifeart.com has the L6 for $225

Thanks for the info Skalo, I found an L6 with minor wear for $160. The config you speak of sound very desirable, please keep me in the loop upon completion.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

I didn't realize the emitter was only being driven at 700mA......

I need to have the output on mine bumped up!
Who does the circuit mod for higher output?

CM modded my KL6 to 1.1 amps to the led after switching out to a WWOH. Output dropped like a stone as KL6 heat sinking for all it bulk, is poor. There is not a good transfer of heat to head. So.....I had him install a P4 Cree which is much better and cooler, and maintains a flat runtime. Now of course the mod could be a Q5, or R2 when they are readily available.

Bill

jufam44

Enlightened

IMHO, The L6 is a great light just as it is. It's great for flood, and the deeper reflector helps throw light pretty far (not as far as a FM turbohead, but it'll throw light far 'nuff to get most jobs done.) If you wanted to mod it, a buddy of mine has one with a Cree XR-E put in it and boy is that sucker bright. Not the best throw still, but it's great for most Every Day Uses.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the info Skalo, I found an L6 with minor wear for $160. The config you speak of sound very desirable, please keep me in the loop upon completion.

Thanks, I received the L6 today. Nice tint and noticable doughnut hole. Still very bright and nice beam pattern. It's gone already, I shipped it to Milkyspit today, and hopefully the K2T throws as well or better than the Luxeon V.

Groundhog66

Banned

Thanks, I received the L6 today. Nice tint and noticable doughnut hole. Still very bright and nice beam pattern. It's gone already, I shipped it to Milkyspit today, and hopefully the K2T throws as well or better than the Luxeon V.

I think it will be great:party:

greenstuffs

Banned

It really does not make sense in getting it upgraded since the UA2 or UB2 will outperform most upgrades. The gains are marginal. Don't know if its a wise investment.

Groundhog66

Banned

It really does not make sense in getting it upgraded since the UA2 or UB2 will outperform most upgrades. The gains are marginal. Don't know if its a wise investment.

Not an investment, just a GREAT light at half the price of the new U2 I bet. When all is said and done, my modded L6 will cost well under $300.

Last edited:

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don't forget the U2A and U2B will both come along with their own respective avalanche of new possibilities. New technology is introduced into the wild.

Modders tend to taunt the dodgey line. If stock, a surefire invictus is capable of 400 torch lumens, they'll gut it out, throw out the perfectly sound design that drives everything at specs and put in blocks of turbocharged custom made muscles parts that would otherwise only makes sense in case of a light-sensitive zombie outbreak scenario.

It's not that it makes it any better or more practical, but we can't seem to help it.

Would I mod my obsolete kl6? you bet your pelvis cushioning masses I would, but I wouldn't push the circuit past 700mA, in fact, I'd lower it to 500mA or so to keep the kl6's output the same, gaining only in runtime and reliability.

The kl6 is a superb flashlight host; it uses above average material and received superior designing and build quality, as do the most part of the surefire line. You'd only be putting up-to-date parts into a host that deserves it.

Happy hunting.

Latest posts