Do It Yourself Will Software?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Anyone recall DIY Will software being discussed around these halls? I searched, but haven't delved deeply into the archives yet.

Looking for suggestions, experiences, comments, recommendations...:thanks:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
From what I've read so far, indeed it looks like WillMaker is the one...I need to verify if it's end product is valid in Alaska. Looks like a will in Alaska needs to be signed in front of 2 witnesses. Notarization isn't required - but doesn't hurt. :thinking:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lawyer for me too. The people I need to take care of beyond my survival are too important to trust to anyone(or thing) but a total and complete professional. I hope this is being done because it's just plain a good idea, and not due to some specific reason or warning!

:buddies:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
DB, our current will was written when we lived in Arizona...updating it is just something we've been putting off for too long.

Found out today, as a military retiree - the legal department at the local AFB will take care of us as one of our earned benefits. Can't go wrong with that option! Looks like I won't be needing the software now.

Fallingwater, different states have different laws & while a will merely written by the parties involved isn't a bad thing...one needs to protect their wishes & loved ones according to those specific laws (signed by witnesses, notarized, written while standing on our heads, who knows what the local requirements are?! :ohgeez: ). If one doesn't have a will in accordance with those laws - it's possible the will would be easier to contest, perhaps someone may (or may not) end up with items not meant to go to them, the state can take a piece, all sorts of things could go wrong.

It's not that we have much to even worry about, but would like what we do have to go in the right direction without complications according to our wishes NOT someone elses.

Do I know what I'm talking about - heck no! That's why I needed the software or a lawyer!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
The software hopefully makes sure all bases are covered. There may be powers of attorney, living wills, trust funds, etc involved. If the deceased wishes certain items, possessions, funds, etc. to go to someone other than "by law" (estate divided/distributed to closest relative and then down to the next)...the will would allow that, hopefully without complications.

It's possible a "simple written" will, properly & legally witnessed, notarized, etc., as required by the specific state would be close to (if not?) legal as well?

If one's estate has to go through probate, that can cause problems & hopefully a properly written/completed will would prevent those problems.

Last edited:

da.gee

Enlightened
If that fails you could look on legalzoom.com. Its a site founded by OJ's lawyer, Robert Shapiro. A bunch of pre-built legal documents at reasonable cost. My neighbor, a doctor, just did his will through them. I have not used them personally but the site is widely known.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
You're not planning on dying on us, are you? Knowing this crowd, we'll be lost without a good moderator. :)
I'm not planning on it...well someday for all of us I guess, eh?! Life is afterall a terminal disease!

Too much party left in this ole' chassis to leave just yet though!! :thumbsup: