Harry Potter Wand?

mrsinbad

Enlightened
Has anyone made an LED wand like the ones in Harry Potter? I was thinking of using some of the 55,000 mcd 5mm LED's or maybe the Luxeon Rebel 080. Would be cool to use some to the cheapo lights from Kai as the battery compartment/on off switch/current regulation for the Rebels. For the wand itself, I would use a carbon fiber arrow shaft and maybe even use the arrow shaft as a conductor for the LED.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Illum

Flashaholic
yeah, whats your solution to rebel heatsinking? wave it around in cold air? :crackup:

for prebuilt ideas...consider building the wand on top of a streamlight stylus:whistle:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
My son has a plastic one with a red 5mm sticking out the end.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made something like that, except it was a regular white tipped magicians wand cos i am into magic (david blaine, not satan worship...), and i dont like wierd looking sticks spouting my magic. It was VERY rough, it was just a 5mm LED, i ductaped some wires to the LED (I said it was rough didnt I) and made a battery unit out of little AG3 cells, also ducttaped together, and isolated the wires with ductape, and the swith was made my one of the white tips having wire wrapped around it, so that when you turned it, it cause the + and - wires to contact it, and complete the circuit. It was fun while it lasted.

Crenshaw

mrsinbad

Enlightened
Not quite the light saber and more like southernlites and marduke posted. Those are the commercial toy version, but I'm thinking more high tech. I would to use the highest mcd rated 5mm LED (55,000 mcd on eBay) I can find or use the Luxeon Rebel. If I went the route of the revel, I will have to mount it onto a aluminum heatshink with fins (that I turn on my lathe) and a couple of waving incantations would definitely help with the heat problem. The wand would be carbon fiber from the model airplane industry with a carbon fiber woven braided exterior for the pretty factor. If the aluminum heat sink is large enough, maybe I can snap on reflector and my kids can actually use it as a flashlight when we have our black outs in the summer.

Anything else you would do? Thanks for the links, ideas, and feedback!