My G2 died today...

J!m

Newly Enlightened
So I'm at work, using my G2 to check plasma gun bores, and a customer I'm working with asks to see my light to check the bore himself.

I go off to do another task, and he comes back five seconds later, and says: "OK, what's the trick?" He couldn't get it to light up, and neither could I.

The batteries are the original set on a 120L SureFire drop-in, so I don't think it was overdriven. It may have flashed, but I think we would have noticed that... I just used it less than five minutes prior to handing the light over (it wasn't even dropped in between), and it was working just fine.

Anyway, I will check the voltage in the cells now, but is there anything else I might be missing, besides the obvious filament failure? If the batteries outlast the bulb, I will be a bit miffed...:thumbsdow

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's the bulb, SureFire will replace it. It could be a tailcap problem, but those are really rare with the G2. Check the contacts, there might be a problem there.

J!m

Newly Enlightened
Thanks.

I suspect it's the bulb, since I had been using it several times earlier in the day. Just a few seconds at a time, to check that bore, and search for some fittings in a cabinet. I JUST used it prior to giving it over, then all of a sudden it doesn't work.

It really seems like the bulb... I have to test a few things and get back.

If it was dropped, I might suspect the tailcap, but it's such a simple design (no click) I don't see that failing... And it has been dropped before; I mean I don't baby this thing.

I thought SureFire did not warrant bulbs? I guess if the bulb dies quicker than the cells, that might be cause for alarm...

IcantC

Enlightened
Did you try new batteries? The p61 lamp has 20 mins runtime...

Surefire will replace everything except bulbs and lamps(normal wear and tear).

J!m

Newly Enlightened
Is the P61 regulated? If so, it could be the cells...

it was plenty bright (although not 120 lumen) just before failure...

I expected it to dim somewhat before dying...

J!m

Newly Enlightened
I just checked the cells:

2.803V
2.806V

This seems pretty high for a cell rated at 3V, only a ~6% drop below 'nominal' voltage.

I also checked the lamp assembly, and the resistance was less than one ohm, as was the tail cap and body.

I have some new cells at home, so I'll try those tonight and see what happens...

Any other ideas?:thinking:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The P61 is basically a bulb in a reflector, no circuitry.

I've heard almost Li-ion batteries will still measure close to 2.7-2.8v but drop in voltage under a load.

If new cells doesn't fix it, then it's a dead bulb. If I was you, I'd take this chance to buy a good LED drop-in. Similar to more output with more runtime.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
SureFire will replace a lamp if it dies earlier than it should. I don't know why, but for some reason I assumed this was a new-ish lamp and that assumption caused the comment. Any updates?

Size15's

Flashaholic
I don't tend to measure the voltage of the batteries I use but I'm reasonably confident that an SF123A at 2.8V is dead with regards to driving the P61. It sucks the juice out of the SF123As pretty hard.

I suggest you try a fresh set of SF123A batteries.

You can also try the original P60 with both the used batteries and a fresh set to check that it's not things wrong with the G2 (although I can't imagine that'll be the case)

If your P61 lamp is new and it hasn't lasted even one set of SF123A batteries then I suggest you give SureFire a call, explain your situation and see what they say.

Al

nzgunnie

Enlightened
P61 draws a lot of current, you may find those 'dead' cells will run a low current draw light for considerable more time to come, but just can't power the very high current draw P61.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Fresh, right-out-of-the-box Surefire CR123s will read (no load) between 3.245 and 3.250. They'll continue to work in a number of lights, depending on the regulator circuit, to around 2.900 ... and they'll light the LEDs in an A2 Aviator far below that.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
How about in my E1E?

It would be dim and won't run the battery as low as an Inova X5.

The X5 is a 5 5mm LED(Nichia CS) light that runs on 2 CR123 batteries. Many here use it to drain their CR123 batteries. I don't recall what it uses(resistor or driver) but since the Vf of the LED is around 3.7v, as long as the to total battery voltage is above/around that voltage, the light will keep running.

Look at your local Target or similar store.

BargainMonkey

Newly Enlightened
I know it costs more than the G2, but I really like my Malkoff M60L in my G2. Light output is very similar to a P61 on fresh batteries, but the runtime is about 4 hours instead of 20 minutes.