Inova T2, K2 TFFT Initial thoughts

Wicho

Enlightened
Well, it was waiting for me when I got home. Got it from BOG.

The good: feels nice and is thinner than the T1. Is brighter, has a tighter beam and the tint is great.

The bad: The batteries it came with were dead and the switch is bad. When it's in the off position, it turns on and off when you shake it. This doesn't happen when it's in the on position, though.

The tailcap rattles like there is something that needs to be tightened, but I tried and it can't be tightened. Bummer it's going to have to go back to BOG since it has a great beam and tint. Well, I'll check with them - maybe they can just send me a new tailap.

Strike one for Inova's QC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
that sucks! i hope that doesn't happen to the T4 i preordered from them

Wicho

Enlightened
I hope so too - I pre-ordered two T4's for my car and my wife's. Fortunately, BOG stands behind their sales so if there is a problem, it will be taken care of.

C'mon Inova...we have high hopes for you.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do the output and throw of the new T2 compare to other lights?

I was a little disappointed with the new T1, because even though it has a good tint and equal output to my 2007 K2 version, it also has considerably less throw. I'm thinking about going for the T2 if it performs equally or better than the 2007 Inova XO, which I like a lot.

The switches on my 2008 T1 and T3 work fine.

Wicho

Enlightened
The T2 throws visibly better than the T1, but it's not a throw monster by any means. Don't think anyone was expecting it to be one.

I'll do some beamshots in an hour or so.

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
Well, it was waiting for me when I got home. Got it from BOG.

The good: feels nice and is thinner than the T1. Is brighter, has a tighter beam and the tint is great.

The bad: The batteries it came with were dead and the switch is bad. When it's in the off position, it turns on and off when you shake it. This doesn't happen when it's in the on position, though.

The tailcap rattles like there is something that needs to be tightened, but I tried and it can't be tightened. Bummer it's going to have to go back to BOG since it has a great beam and tint. Well, I'll check with them - maybe they can just send me a new tailap.

Strike one for Inova's QC.

Whico,

Please send it back to us for a replacement. We did contact Inova about possible packaging issues. It seems that the lights may shift during transit and accidentally turn on in the packaging. We found a couple of lights that were on when opening boxes. About the switch, this is a first. Once again, just contact us for a replacement.

Regards,
Flavio
BugoutGearUSA.com

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
sounds like it may be possible the switch gets damaged from heat or sustained current flow trapped in the box when it is inadvertently getting turned on during shipping? Shouldn't happen if it was bullet proof but at least there is a possible plausible explanation.

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
Cool Wicho! Well I am getting mine in a couple days so I'll do a review too. I'm glad you like it over all...hopefully it was a packing issue and not quality control. Does it have as wide a spill beam as the T1?

Wicho

Enlightened
The spill is just a bit less than the T1 - they're pretty close, though. The T2 does have that tighter hotspot (but not overly tight) making it a better outdoor light than the T1 for uses beyond 25 feet in my opinion.

Cool Wicho! Well I am getting mine in a couple days so I'll do a review too. I'm glad you like it over all...hopefully it was a packing issue and not quality control. Does it have as wide a spill beam as the T1?

I think both lights are too big to EDC, but would rather EDC the T2. The T1 feels better when wearing gloves due to it being thicker and overall feels sturdier.

I tried doing beamshots, but have to keep fiddling with the camera settings - the pictures are coming out either too dark or too washed out. Anyone have any tips for me? I'm using a Canon SD630.

Time for me to go :poof: - have to get ready for work.

jufam44

Enlightened
Thanks for the the first-hand experience. I hope the T4 is better-I have one coming courtesy of Flea-Bay...

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received my T2 from Battery Junction Wednesday.My light also had dead batteries. It slipped out of its slot to the bottom of the packaging apparently causing the switch to stay on.I replaced the batteries and my light is working now.
Switch works fine, it is not quite as stiff as my other T-series lights but it is OK.
Tint is the same as my 2008 T1,warm white.Two different models from different vendors tint is still consistent.As stated before the spill is slightly less than the T1 but the T2 seems to have more output just like INOVA states.I left the T2 on unattended for 5 minutes and didn't detect any warming.Haven't compared throw yet but the reflector is larger and deeper than the T1 so I'm sure the T2 will throw farther.
Other than the dead batteries because of the faulty packaging this light looks like another winner :thumbsup:

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
I received my T2 today from Bugoutgear, it took 3 days to arrive at my doorstep. First impressions upon loooking at it were that it is a pretty small light, especially for 2 x CR123. It's almost danty looking. But it is definitely bright. Unfortunately, I seem to be the exception to the "warm tint" rule, as my T2 seems to be projecting a normal, almost magenta tint. It is as cool in color as my Scorpion, and just about the same apparent level of brightness (at least during the day time, we'll see about tonight). Needless to say, I'm fairly disappointed that mine isn't giving off the warmness we have enjoyed, so I will see if I can send it back for a swap. It's a nice light though!

note: my light also slid down through the packaging, but it did not seem to turn it on and kill the batteries.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my T2 today..... Unfortunately, I seem to be the exception to the "warm tint" rule, as my T2 seems to be projecting a normal, almost magenta tint. It is as cool in color as my Scorpion, and just about the same apparent level of brightness (at least during the day time, we'll see about tonight).....

Wonder if you received a 2007 T2 in the 2008 T2 packaging by mistake?

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my T2 from BugOutGear today. :) Of the three 2008 K2 versions that I've tried (T1, T2, T3), this one has the best focus and throw. It also has a neutral/warm tint like my T1 and T3.

I am starting to suspect that the emitter positions in the T1 and T3 were not recalibrated for the 2008 K2 emitters to be focused optimally. Hopefully Inova will fix this.

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
Wonder if you received a 2007 T2 in the 2008 T2 packaging by mistake?

Yeah I was wondering that as well. I have no way of being able to tell, but this thing doesn't appear to be 125 lumens, and it certainly isn't "warm". It's being sent back to Bugout gear as soon as they receive more. I want warmth dammit!

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
Yeah I was wondering that as well. I have no way of being able to tell, but this thing doesn't appear to be 125 lumens, and it certainly isn't "warm". It's being sent back to Bugout gear as soon as they receive more. I want warmth dammit!

Just to make it clear we do not have any 2007 T-Series left in stock so this was most definately a 2008 model. Everyone has been here long enough to know that LED tints are variable and no two are alike. We do not guarantee tints on LED's otherwise we would have people buying a half dozen T2's or T3's, picking the ones they liked best and return the rest. We DO NOT have a restock fee, as many other dealers do to prevent this practice, however please be aware that we cannot accept returns simply because you are unhapy with tints (I now this may be frustrating...I've purchased many high priced customs with non-desirable tints myself). If that was the case half of the lights we sold from the other big US flashlight manufacturer would be sent back!

Thanks for understanding. Ilikeshinythings: You have a PM friend.

Regards,
Flavio
BugoutGearUSA.com

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would just send it back to inova if i were you, Last year i had the same problem with the 07 T4 so i sent inova a message and sent them my light in about a few weeks i got a brand new one that was much brighter than the one before.