Is JetBeam 1 Pro a good buy

lengendcpf

Enlightened
I have read reviews about this light.
Very keen to get it.
Basically what I can gather is, that THIS is the hottest/favourable light as of now.

BTW which light(only using 1 AA) can meet its insanely high lumens(210)? Can give an example?

I don't want to regret buying this(at least for 3months :naughty:).
Cause I just bought an LED Lenser 2 weeks ago..

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The 210 lumen is probably specs with a 14500 battery, which is 3.7v. It seems to be the only one with those reported specs.

There hasn't been much recent talk about this light. The main problem seems to be the short runtime on medium(less then high with less output).

JCup

Newly Enlightened
I am quite satisifed with mine.
Premium materials, construction, and finish, great throw.

The low output level is brighter than one might need for dark room/closeup use, but not offensively bright.

The regulation of the medium level is inefficient, but there is really little need for this level. One might expect Jetbeam will change the regulation for some future revision to provide a lower low, and improve the efficiency. The present low would be OK as a medium level, IMHO.

This 1xAA gives output like 2xcr123 lights, and with Eneloops, you have a very effective, pocketable light with very low operating costs.

Looks like this light and the competitive Nitcore Defender are both backordered in the US.

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
i love mine,the moment i got it i knew this one is a keeper despite weird runtime on med level.
but the built quality is fantastic not to mention the brightness.
I use to feed it with 14500 cell but from your naked eye not that much difference vs my Sanyo niMh 2700 & Sanyo Eneloops,so i decided to use either one of these with acceptable runtime.
did i mentioned that the head is adjustable to get rid of that famous Cree rings?Who cares because in real world use (outdoor) this handsome light really attracts some attentions :naughty:

Crosswire3

Newly Enlightened
I love mine and would recommend it hands down. To be honest, I only really use the high and low, so the medium isn't much of an issue. The fact that it puts out so much light from an AA is amazing. This makes it very cheap to operate and extremely versatile. The build it quite good and it is the best looking light around IMHO.

CandleFranky

Enlightened
I love mine and would recommend it hands down. To be honest, I only really use the high and low, so the medium isn't much of an issue. The fact that it puts out so much light from an AA is amazing. This makes it very cheap to operate and extremely versatile. The build it quite good and it is the best looking light around IMHO.
Me too! Who is using a medium mode at all? I'm shure, this flashlight can reach 210 lumens with a Sanyo Eneloop too. But it is a little bit brighter with Li-Ion.

The JetBeam 1 Pro is a nice mini-thrower. For everyday use and under the aspect of quality I would prefer a Fenix L1D Q5. :twothumbs

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light does not produce 210 lumens. JETBeam is one of the worst exaggerating companies out there (out of the premium brands, that is). Interesting to note - on the first release it was advertised as 280 lumens. That was exactly the same light that is now being sold. It's probably around 140, same as the Nitecore Defender Infinity. That is with a 14500. (all following output observations are also with a 14500)

The JET-I PRO has a well-regulated and extremely bright high mode, as does the NDI. But its medium mode is about 2/3 as bright and runs 2/3 as long as its own high mode :shakehead (JETBeam has said it will fix this problem soon, so I'm keeping an ear out for news). And low mode, while running for several hours longer, is still very inefficient. The light is an amazing thrower for its size - best of the 1xAAs, in fact. ~4500 center lux, vs ~2500 for the third place for throw NDI (Olight T15 SE is second, at ~3800).

So, while the JET-I PRO clearly throws better than the NDI, my EDC is definitely the NDI, for every other aspect. runs longer on high. low modes are efficient and can be extremely long-running. of course, its main feature - user defined levels. Amazingly to me, it is actually well regulated no matter what the setting. very useable beam pattern - for an EDC, the NDI's wide hotspot is more helpful than the JET-I PRO's tight hotspot. the NDI is tougher (thats toughness, not build quality. they both have excellent build quality). Its smaller - around perfect EDC size. the grip is better. forward clicky switch.

I only listed the NDI's benefits that the JET-I PRO does not have, so the opposite of the above paragraph is why I think the JET-I PRO doesn't fit the bill for an all-purpose EDC.

EntropyQ3

Newly Enlightened
Actually, the low runtimes are pretty grim too - total light output is well below expected.
The JetBeam 1 Pro is an attempt to produce a single AA thrower - a pretty good attempt. If a single AA thrower makes any sense at all is another question - you loose the slim profile that AAs allow, and you still have to boost from 1.2V, which just isn't very efficient when maximum LED drive current is what you're shooting for.

Whether a thrower make sense at all is yet another question. I regard throwers as speciality items. Great for checking fences at 200m, awful for diving under desks, lighting garages, checking under car seats, destroys your dark adaption with their excessive contrast... So if its a general purpose light you're looking for, the JetBeam Pro 1 is facing competition that is both better and cheaper. If it is a thrower you're looking for, there are also better and cheaper options - single AA just isn't very good for the purpose.

In my view, it is a collectors item - best single AA thrower at this point in time. And in my eyes, it is a very good looking light. But if you're actually going to use it, you should think hard about your options.
All IMHO, obviously.

Cheapskate

Enlightened
So, while the JET-I PRO clearly throws better than the NDI, my EDC is definitely the NDI, for every other aspect. runs longer on high. low modes are efficient and can be extremely long-running. of course, its main feature - user defined levels. Amazingly to me, it is actually well regulated no matter what the setting. very useable beam pattern - for an EDC, the NDI's wide hotspot is more helpful than the JET-I PRO's tight hotspot. the NDI is tougher (thats toughness, not build quality. they both have excellent build quality). Its smaller - around perfect EDC size. the grip is better. forward clicky switch.

I agree with your summation completely. I bought an NDI in preference to the Jetbeam pro and have never regretted the decision. A very kind person, bought me a Jetbeam Pro, unaware I had acquired the NDI. The beam from the Jetbeam is astonishing. The NDI is a much more useful light though, and is only slightly less astonishing.

T4R06

Enlightened
its a nice light! i dont care about the medium. im very satisfied with low and high. what can i say, full regulated on 14500 and it can run 1hr on high.

JCup

Newly Enlightened
I think the JetBeam Pro 1 is a good buy. It performs well; is beautifully made. So far as I'm concerned, the brighter the better. Worth $80 to me.

Regarding the NiteCore Defender Infinity (apart from its silly name) at the time I bought my JetBeam - and I think still true - its performance was a moot point, as it wasn't available. Sure made a difference in my buying choice.

So was that one batch they sold online to CPF members the end of the line?

lengendcpf

Enlightened
Thanks all for the replies.

After reading about the JetBeam, Defender..

Decided to get the either the Cree Q5 or the RB100.
Tough decision between the Q5 and the Rb100.
Finally got myself the
4in1 PowerPack(Q5) from Fenix-Store.

As some said, You can't go wrong with any of these two.
"It's a Fenix!":twothumbs

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
My words! :thumbsup:
Everyone talks about Linux, but at home they use Windows to get their work done. :nana:

I develop software for Windows in my Mac:)

Back to the topic, if you plan to use AA and use it at max output, Jetbeam Pro is hard to beat. NDI is basically designed for Li-ion since it runs only 20+min on high on AA (Sanyo Eneloop). While NDI has a very good low mode, its ringy beam make it a bit distracting on close range (this is what low mode for). However, Jetbeam Pro low is too bright to call it low:-( Like others have mentioned, brightness of its mid mode is almost the same as the high (as well as runtime). Both Jetbeam Pro (R2) and NDI has OP reflector, Jetbeam's beam is much smoother. Besides, my jetbeam Pro R2 WC make NDI looks a bit warm.

My wife already took my Jetbeam because she loves its look. The NDI sits ide in my drawer and I EDC my beloved MTE C3 Q5:)

Alan

Albinoni

Banned
Does anyone here know when is Jetbeam going to bring out the Jetbeam Pro 1 Version 2, this the one I'm waiting on and fingers crossed with this one they will fix up the time in the low mode.

DavidC

Newly Enlightened
My words! :thumbsup:

Fenix is in flashlights, what Microsoft is in Software: Everyone talks about Linux, but at home they use Windows to get their work done. :nana:

LMAO.

Linux does not yet have the multimedia capabilities of MS, but it does not crash on me. Ever. My "EDC" is Kubuntu or Debian or Mandrake (riva) or Redhat or well .... you get the story.

I'm seeing car commercials about a windows-powered radio-communication center in some new cars. That's probably going to turn into the joke of the 21 century.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
LMAO.

Linux does not yet have the multimedia capabilities of MS, but it does not crash on me. Ever. My "EDC" is Kubuntu or Debian or Mandrake (riva) or Redhat or well .... you get the story.

Go for MacOS X, it has all multimedia capabilities of MS and way way beyond and it never crash or got virus attacked:) Better yet, you could run Windows, Linux and MacOS X simultanously in a Mac and no more OS fight:)

It seems we are in computer forum:-???