Anyone have the new TLE-5EX TFFC K2?

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've searched and can't find any one commenting on the new TFFC 5EX. I'm kind of hoping to make my old MM into a paintball and airsoft gun mounted light with a pressure pad from Cheaper Than Dirt, but only if the beam is to my liking. What I'm looking for is a pretty smooth beam with a large hotspot for doing some CQB (close quarter battle) at night, so no Cree for me (don't like the hotspot, dark ring, spill) and the Seoul has some heat and height issues from what I've read. Thanks.

acourvil

Enlightened
I have one. I like the old SSC version better. I've had two with the new chip; first one was very yellow, not as bright as the SSC. The second one is better, but I still prefer the Seoul version.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
How would you describe the beam? Does it have a big hotspot and good spill? Personally I think I'd like the warm tint especially for what I'll be using it for.

slagell

Newly Enlightened
I thought the Cree was newer. That is what I have, and I love it.

Cydonia

Enlightened
It is kind of disappointing that there isn't more info on the TerraLux MiniMag drop in using the new TFFC K2 LED. I must be one of the few left who think MiniMag's are worth upgrading :tinfoil: A simple foolproof one mode twisty light... fully user upgradeable... just open up and pluck out the LED module for any future upgrades. About 70 lumens... 3 hours on NiMh I heard. (lousy compared to new Cree AA lights of course)

What's the current draw of the new TFFC version drop in? Anyone able to do a measurement? Didn't I hear about 700ma for the old SSC and Cree versions?

acourvil

Enlightened
They used the Cree only for a short while, then switched to the new K2. I would have preferred the Cree.

I wasn't wild about the beam. It had a reasonable and reasonable spill, but I thought it looked kind of ringy. I swapped it out for an optic; still not what I would call perfect, but better. Of course, it's a very usable light, but I expected an improvement from the SSC.