Streamlight Twin-Task 3AAA

mwaldron

Enlightened
I've been infatuated with the SF A2's for the last few weeks (have 2, thinking about 3rd to test some mod ideas on) but today in another thread I saw a reference to Streamlight's Twin-Task series.

After looking at their site for a while, the Twin-Task 3AAA LASER looks pretty compelling, especially for $35 new!

Anyone have any experience with these? My first thought was that neither the LEDs nor the Incandescent are regulated for $35, but then I noticed they specifically advertise it as a 3.6V .6A bulb. 3xAAA won't do that without something, so are they just wasting the extra with a resistor?

I'm also curious if it could be upgraded with a Strion bulb (3.7V 1.6A) or if the extra heat would cause it to become a pool of goo on my desk.

I think I'd rather trade out the laser for a single led LOW mode, but on the other hand it would make a practical birthday gift for my GF, "Look honey, it's a useful flashlight and cat toy all in 1 package your dog's can't destroy! Let them chew on some HA Aluminum for a while."

Anyone with some practical experience to share?