ARC mania Extreme III Single AAA Flashlight vs LF2X?

bltkmt

Enlightened
Without fanning any flames, can someone explain the differences in these, and why one costs 2x vs the other? From a distance, they appear to be very similar. I realize one is a Rebel, but does that justify the cost difference?

Last edited:

bltkmt

Enlightened
Re: ARC mania Extreme III Single AAA Flashlight vs LF2X

Wow, lots of looks but no replies. Maybe I phrased this incorrectly...I love AAA form lights, and have already ordered the LF2X (and am excited). Please help convince me why I should order the Extreme III as well (in the true flashaholic manner).

tpchan

Newly Enlightened

The ARC mania Extreme III light came out before the LF2X and is a "custom" made flashlight based in part on the original design of the LF2. So you get the limited production run that collectors so desire. You also get the hand assembled and tested quality from a genuine flashaholic -- namely ARC mania. Search the forums for some of his other lights. Its also a Rebel 100 vs a Cree Q5 led, so the beams should be different as the reflectors in each flashlight are also different.

I guess you're basically asking -- "Why buy a custom made flashlight vs the factory made light?"

Gunner12

Flashaholic

Main differences(besides LED)

Custom made parts VS factory made parts

Hand assembled VS factory assembled

More throwy VS More floody

gunga

Flashaholic

+1.

If you just want the features (which are very similar) the LF2x is a no brainer.

If you want an exlcusive collector's piece, perhaps with some extras (which I can't comment on since i don't own one), get the Arcmania.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, lots of looks but no replies. Maybe I phrased this incorrectly...I love AAA form lights, and have already ordered the LF2X (and am excited). Please help convince me why I should order the Extreme III as well (in the true flashaholic manner).

The reason for the high number of views is this threads misleading subject. I as I am sure many others have thought that you had both and had done a comparison. You should really add a ? to the thread title.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just received my LF2X and I have to say that I was initially very impressed. Here are my initial comparisons:
  1. HA on both is very nicely matched; there might be the slightest difference between the head and the body of the LF2X whereas there is no difference in my MJP Extreme III.
  2. Tint's on both units are nice but I think that the LF2X is a little bit whiter whereas the tint on the MJP Extreme III has the slightest, slightest hint of purple.
  3. Beam shape: MJP Extreme III is a little bit more floody than the LF2X and it's beam is nearly without artifacts. The LF2X has the characteristic Cree ring around the hotspot even though it has a textured reflector... I do not, in any way find the beam of the LF2X anything less than great despite the RATHS (Ring Around The Hot Spot). The MJP Extreme III beam is simply fantastic.
  4. Threads: Both turn extremely smoothly.
  5. Output: Similar... too difficult for me to distinguish a brightness difference with my eyes.
  6. Runtime: Don't know.
  7. I can tell you that I have had the MJP Extreme III on my keyring since it became available (Thank you Kenster) and it has performed flawlessly and held up extremely well to this point against wear from being in my pocket w/my keys. I have had the LF2X for less than 1/2 a day, and it is functioning somewhat unreliably; it is not turning on each time I turn it on:thinking: I need to find out why it is doing this.
To summarize: If I can get the LF2X to turn on and off reliably, I believe that it will match the MJP Extreme III in performance assuming runtime is similar.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

[*]To summarize: If I can get the LF2X to turn on and off reliably, I believe that it will match the MJP Extreme III in performance assuming runtime is similar.

My Extreme III was not turning on/off reliably on the first day. I dont know about the LF2X switch but if they are similar, then judging by other peoples comments, I think there is a bug in it. A keychain light should be ultrareliable since it is most likely a backup light. None of this "let's twist and hope light comes out" business.

heckboy

Enlightened

I've got both. I find the beam on the Extreme much nicer than that of the LF2x. The Extreme hot spot is nice and round and the tint is slightly pinkish but not to the extent that it's noticeable in actual use. The LF2x hot spot is a bit egg shaped and not as nicely focused. The LF2x tint is nice, maybe a touch yellow. The Extreme has a bit more throw to my eye.

Operationally I find them pretty much the same as they should be. The Extreme was a bit finicky when I first got it but it's working just perfectly now. The LF2x is still in the finicky phase for me.

The heads look completely identical to me (excepting the LED of course) and it wouldn't surprise me if the Extreme and the LF2x heads were machined by the same shop at the same time. Of course the bodies are different and I like the appearance of the knurling on the Extreme better than the flutes on the LF2x. The anodizing appears identical to me and once again I wouldn't be surprised to find it that they were anodized at the same shop at the same time.

The LF2x comes with a pocket clip! I think that the Extreme should have come with some sort of pocket clip as well. I'd been carrying the Extreme in my jeans pocket for a couple of weeks when the LF2x arrived. I prefer the LF2x clipped to the front pocket of my jeans to the Extreme loose in the pocket. I plan to find a pocket clip for the Extreme.

The LF interface (shared by both) was incomprehensible to me initially owing mainly to the complete gibberish instructions I had. Once I found some good instructions I haven't had any issues operating either light.

For a functional AAA light with multiple levels there's no reason to go beyond the LF2x. However if you would like something that's unique and optimized get the Extreme. I'm in a AAA phase right now so I had to have both! :huh:

Later,
HB

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

The reason for the high number of views is this threads misleading subject. I as I am sure many others have thought that you had both and had done a comparison. You should really add a ? to the thread title.

+1....... I agree

:duh2:

bltkmt

Enlightened

Done. Although if this were true, I would have most likely put it in the Reviews section.

Thanks for the input all!

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am being sent a new switch by Liteflux since my LF2X switch has become faulty and almost never works properly now. It had issues from the start. I hope the new switch works because I really like this light and mine has a perfect white tint. I really like the beam on mine as well. It get good runtime when used at medium - lower levels. The circuit seems pretty efficient or at least comparable to my LOD.

If the new switch works this will be my favorite AAA light. I have not had issues with the switch on my LF3.