Now I want A2's of every color!!!

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my 2nd A2 Aviator! (Thanks UnderTheWeepingMoon!!! :twothumbs) I now have a flat-sided A2 with Blue LED's as well as my newly acquired round A2 with white LED's. I must be crazy, but now that I have two, I want MORE of them, at least one of each color LED, and maybe, just maybe, a black one if I can ever find one and be able to afford it. I wonder how many HA body colors were ever produced. I know of the natural gray-green, black, and purple (way to go, Al :drool:). Does anybody know of any other body colors, and if any unusual LED colors were produced?

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe your doctor can prescribe pills or something.

You my friend have gone off the deep end. Very cool. Start selling blood...

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a WH and Y/G, both in the round body. I have a 4-flats HA-WH on the way. A black one would be cool, but it's not a huge deal. I had a RD one, but got rid of it. I like YG better. The only one I'd really like to add to my collection at some point is a non-crenelated one.

mwaldron

Enlightened
They seem to be horribly social animals, my 3rd one is in the mail today (Round-Blue) to join my Round-White and Flat-Red Sanded. Plus the extra LED ring that arrived yesterday.

OregonShooter will probably be getting an order soon for yet another camo tail cap.

I don't even want to think about Strion costs when FiveMega makes another run.

The good news is I have no need/desire whatsoever for Blue LEDs, so this one is going to be my platform to play around with some LED ideas I've had.

I tend to use my lights, I'd be afraid to use a black one. They're too highly valued! OTOH, a black one with high-power UV leds would make quite a nifty conversation piece.

Last edited:

Wattnot

Enlightened
Could someone explain (or try to) why the older, "4 flats" and or black ones are so much more valuable? Is there any practical reason there is a used one selling for 2.5 times what I paid for my new "round" one? Is it just a collector thing or is there something else? It's okay to just answer "it's a collector thing." Does this value exist in places other than here?

:popcorn:

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
The older Surefire A2 with four sides and black/purple commands such a high price due to the metal that was used in them....Unobtanium. :kiss::huh::drool::cool::thinking::p:poof:

mwaldron

Enlightened
I asked that same question. The blacks are quite rare. There were only a couple hundred (1-2) of them manufactured and thus they are highly collectible.

The 4-flats, people just prefer them so they tend to hold value really well. Some people see the change to a round tube design as SF cheapening their product by changing to an easier to machine design. I think they're probably right, but does it really matter if it's easier to bore the battery compartment into a round tube vs a square one?

I have 2 round A2s and a flat one and I have to admit given my choice I'd rather have 4-flats. However when the choice is balanced by a 2x + increase in cost, well, round is good enough for me!

Now for a purple one, I'd like to think I'd mortgage my house, but truth be told my good sense would prevail and I'd likely have to pass on buying it. I believe there were only like 10 of those made.

Could someone explain (or try to) why the older, "4 flats" and or black ones are so much more valuable? Is there any practical reason there is a used one selling for 2.5 times what I paid for my new "round" one? Is it just a collector thing or is there something else? It's okay to just answer "it's a collector thing." Does this value exist in places other than here?

:popcorn:

jufam44

Enlightened
Does anyone know where Size15's got his Purple One? I've got a Round Blue-one, a Round Red one, and a Round White/Red Aviatrix Modded one. I love them, and they're very social critters. One soon leads to more, which leads to more.

mwaldron

Enlightened
He explained it in a thread here somewhere, you'd have to search for it. I think he got it special from a dealer who got it as a promo.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Four flats are "sexier" looking IMO. They feel better in your hand and I prefer them hands down. I own five of them in all colors except blue, having two white. One of the whites is a heavy use one with character and the other four are shelf queens.

mwaldron

Enlightened
A gentleman in on CPFM had 2x Surefire LED rings in White for sale last Friday/Saturday. They were horribly expensive ($45/ea) but I would have bought both someone else hadn't snapped up the other one. Mine showed up Monday and it was exactly what it was supposed to be.

As for where he obtained them, I didn't ask. I know SureFire won't sell them so I just decided I didn't want to know. :sssh:

Where did you order an extra LED ring?

Carpenter

Enlightened
I too have the SureFire A2 disorder. I love it. This disorder does nothing to you physically, but your wallet and finances take a very heavy hit. There is currently nothing available to cure or make the symptoms more tolerable.

Check my sig. I currently have 3 Black A2's (4th is on it's way to me), 1 of each color with the square body style, 2 additional whites with the flat body style and and additional white with the round body style [shameless plug] up for sale in B/S/T right now [/shameless plug]. Everything is stored in Pelican or Otter cases to keep them safe. Some people even store their A2's in their cigar box. (Right DM51 :poke:)

I love them as they fit almost all my needs, yes the main light in the A2 is incan, but for most functions, the LED's are enough for what I need. I have problems trying to figure out exactly what I can do with the blue one since I'm not a hunter nor do I normally need to follow a blood trail. :ironic: But I'm not planning on getting rid of them anytime soon. I would sell everything else in my small lumen arsenal before I would get rid of my precious square bodied A2's.

Now Size15s, we need to talk about you selling me that purple A2 you have. :whistle:

Enjoy your disorder and have comfort knowing that you are not alone.

mwaldron

Enlightened
My goal is to have an A2 with Red and White LEDs (which I now have woo!) and then 1 that I can swap between other LED types as desired (UV/Green are the first two to come to mind).

I have a Blue A2 that's hopefully in the mail (still waiting confirmation) that's slated for LED experimentation.

I don't hunt, so I don't see much need for blood tracking but I have to admit that the demonstration of Gerber's tech vs plain blue LEDs left me wondering why anyone would use the plain blues for tracking!

Now Size15s, we need to talk about you selling me that purple A2 you have. :whistle:

Bidding War!

That purple A2 is Size15's retirement fund, he just doesn't know it yet!