Streamlight SuperTac has arrived

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a weird light. Streamlight took the body of the TL series and connected it to a turbo head (that incorporates a massive heatsink).

GOOD:
--Streamlight quality vs. price.
--FANTASTIC switch. Easy for momentary, but needs a good pushing for constant on. Probably the best clickie I've felt.
--Great tint, almost pure white.
--Uniqueness factor. There really isn't anything else like it currently available.
--Throw monster. Beam is almost a pin-point with a nice corona. VERY tight hotspot.

BAD:
--What's it for? I'm not too sure what SL is going for with this light.
--VERY head heavy.
--Plastic window (yuck).
--Beam quality is a B+, somewhat spotty corona.
--Included belt sheath is HUGE and not very useful.

Streamlight calls the LED a "C4". I think it looks like a K2 TFC "Flipchip."

Linkie: http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=136

--dan

spoonrobot

Enlightened
--Plastic window (yuck).

I'm out on that point. Especially a window that large, should be glass. Is the head potted? Any easy way to replace it? I really like this concept but the plastic is just a no-go point for me.

Can you measure the diameter of the head?

supes

Enlightened
I saw a dude have one mounted at 3 oclock on his M4, it looked like a SF M4 at first, huge.

The switch, better then Inova T series clickies?

Thanks for the impressions, dano.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely and odd looking light. I wonder if they will upgrade the Stinger LED with the "C4" LED eventually.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Head diameter = 2"

Interesting: the head easily unscrews, exposing the LED. The body is identical to a TL-3 (minus one cell). BUT the threads are reversed. I wanted to try a stock TL-3 reflector/head with the Supertac, but it's a no-go.

-dan

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am tempted to get one of these just because I like my survivorLED and this light uses the same reflector. The main thing holding me back is the same question.... what will I use this for?

WDR65

Enlightened
If it has the same tight focus as the SurvivorLED then it will be useful in foggy, misty and smoky applications. It may also be better in the rain than many other led lights. I used a SurvivorLED to navigate down a large river in the fog when my boat battery ran out of juice. The SuperTac would be easier to carry and using lithiums it would be more resistant to cold weather than the SurvivorLED.

I'm debating getting one...only time will tell.

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
With a head that big would you really want a glass lens? Maybe some kind of ultra clear pyrex, but it seems like a glass lens would just invite something to shatter it.

djblank87

Enlightened
Some are wondering about the use of this particular light and it has been said already in this thread according to the folks at streamlight I spoke to the other day.

This light is intended to be used as a rifle mounted light as well as a backup for a light to grab in a hurry. The primary role is one of a weapons mounted light.

I was at my friends shop and the Streamlight rep was there also, so I had a chance to play with it and ask him questions and the above is what he told me.