Any waterproof headlamps for swimming

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
What headlamps are waterproof,not water resistant and are lightweight

Thanks

spyderknut

Enlightened
I think the floody nature of the Zebralight would be blinding underwater in all but the clearest of waters. Needs to be a throw light IMO. When I used to dive (over 12 years ago) I would occasionally use a 2 or 4 AA UK light strapped to my mask strap but preferred handheld light. Keeping your head simple is safer though. Color rendition underwater favors only a few LEDs. I would think the Rebel would work well with warmer tones.

If you just want to swim across a body of water and use a headlight to see above the surface or on the other side, Zebralight would be fine.

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd have to say.. UK Vizion. I've even taken a shower wearing my Vizion (bathroom lights off..),and it worked flawlessly.

You can buy it at www.brightguy.com ,or you could find a local REI store.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Just checked out the features of the Vizion. It says it "recycles the heat energy of the LED back to the batteries for longer runtime". Is this for real, and could it make a noticeable difference? It does look like a nice light. Might have to run over to REI to see one.

Geoff

ScubaSnyder

Enlightened
Take a look at princetontec.com, they have a variety of "waterproof" lights {500 FT}, By the way nothing is waterproof, everything you buy is water-resistant since at some water depth.... pressure will prevail!

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Princeton Tec EOS. Waterproof to 1 meter.

1 meter does not instill much confidence in the water resistance. Plus I dive further than that. I need a deeper rating than 1 meter I do not think that could even handle the force of the current from the ocean

chris_m

Enlightened
1m is plenty enough for swimming - though it seems you're moving the goalposts on this one! If primary criteria are waterproof and lightweight, then the Petzl E+lite seems perfect (though I think that is only rated to 1m as well).

ScubaSnyder

Enlightened
Im not sure what your price range is, but instead of headlamps have you thought on the hand mounted Nite-Rider lights, they are awesome, but that comes with a price. Also have you ever worn a headlamp with a mask? It is not comfortable in my opinion, also look at Underwater kinetics Q40, Its 2.1 W and it attaches yo your mask strap.

1 meter does not instill much confidence in the water resistance. Plus I dive further than that. I need a deeper rating than 1 meter I do not think that could even handle the force of the current from the ocean

Photon_Whisperer

Newly Enlightened
I used to have a Petzl for this but it was bulky and to lighten my load, I decided to turn my main travel light (L1D CE) into my headlamp also. I just used an old camera strap as the headband and attached the light using rubber bands. Worked a charm on a trip to Africa where I wore it 7 nights in a row up Kilimanjaro.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
The Princeton Tec Apex is NOT suitable for swimming. While doing field research in Panama this past summer, I tried using it while snorkeling at night. I figured that if it was "waterproof to 1m for 30 minutes", then it should work just fine if I stayed at the surface.

It worked very well for a 30 minute swim, and I never submerged it more than 6 inches underwater. However, the battery case flooded and a lot of condensation appeared within the lamp (although it never stopped working).

To save it, I placed it in a low temperature oven we used for drying sponge specimens for a day and the condensation finally disappeared.

It still works and I use it regularly for caving, but I now know that PT's claims about being waterproof are a bunch of hogwash.

Their "waterproof" claim means that it probably won't die if it rains while you are using it.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys,

I decided against a headlamp all together. Because someone pointed out to me that the current in the ocean while surfing will kiss that baby good bye. So I decided just to tether a small flashlight to my wrist

spyderknut

Enlightened
Diving, surfing ... still not clear what you wanted to use the light for. Sounds like you made a wise choice.

I have a waterproof Olympus camera. I wear a LiveStrong band. I lost the camera ONCE :oops: in a river (Santa Fe River) while snorkeling. When I tried to stop to get the camera, I silted out the water and could not see doo doo. When I first dropped the camera, I checked my landmarks on the bank. I hovered over the area until the current swept away the silt. I found camera in about 5 ft of water, in grass with just a corner sticking out of the mud. Now I strap it to my LiveStrong band whenever I am in the water.

Point is, those silicone wrist bands you can get anywhere are great for wrist lanyards.

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
Thanks guys,

I decided against a headlamp all together. Because someone pointed out to me that the current in the ocean while surfing will kiss that baby good bye. So I decided just to tether a small flashlight to my wrist

Which one? Princeton Tec has quite a few waterproof ones that would fit the bill.

Mercaptan

Enlightened
I used to use Princeton Tec headlamps for diving - but I found them annoying with masks and also prone to blinding over divers. Honestly, nothing can beat a dedicated hand-light with a lanyard. My lights get clipped to the d-rings on my BCD with a coiled elastic remote. It works wonders, and you never really have to worry about losing lights.

Of course, YMMV.