Pelican case foam

KentuckyMike

Enlightened
Hey everyone. I'm going to be ordering a few Pelican cases, and I've got a few questions. I'm specifically looking at the 10xx models and the 1120/1150/1200. I'd like to build a few kits. His/hers lights and batteries for outages, GPS's & lights and other gear for Geocaching, etc.

My questions specifically relate to the foam. Do they all come standard with pick-and-pluck? The reason I ask is I HATE pick-and-pluck. I know it's easy (and safe for those who can't be trusted with knives....you know who you are :poke: ), but after awhile of use it comes apart and makes a mess.

I really liked the precut foam I got with my E1W kit from Battery Station, but I'd want that kind of solid foam uncut for these kits. If they come standard with pick-and-pluck, what would be a good source of high-quality, dense foam? I do have a few other ideas for "padding" my cases, but I'm not sure how safe they'd be. Foam would be the easiest for now.

Thanks in advance all!

Last edited:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure about those specific case models, but I have seen retailers on amazon sell large cases with and without foam. I agree in general about pick out foam, but I also know it can be a pain to cut to fit as well. Locally, there is a surplus / camping store that sells foam sheet in various thickness, but I think it is soft foam.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was a short thread on this a while ago, but I can't seem to find it. Pelican offers non pick/pluck foam on their Web site, you can order it separately from the case (not very cheap though).

Someone here recommended foambymail.com, and I've had good luck with their products. It did take a little experimentation for me to figure out which firmness of foam I preferred.

KentuckyMike

Enlightened
Could you stop by your local craft/army-surplus store? They have foam for cheap.

I've tried craft stores...but they had surprisingly little. Mostly that hard, open cell foam used for fake flower arrangements and childrens' astronomy models. Not really good for cushioning lights, GPS's, and other fun toys.

I'll check some army surplus/outdoor/survival type places to see if I can get out on the cheap (a basic foam sleeping pad might even work nicely...hmmm), and if not I found some nice stuff on foambymail.com.

Thanks for the tips everyone!!
~~Mike

Last edited: