KL2 5 X Seoul Head

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started this project a while back and decided to finish it today/tonight. I had the KL2 disassembled and the heatsink semi-ready. It uses a Shark to run 5 Seoul USWOH Emitters in series. One of the emitters is mounted deep under an Mcr20s reflector. I wanted a light that could completely illuminate Everything in my imediate area and also have some throw. After using my modded KL4 with 3 Seouls and my modded KL1 with Seoul and Mcr20s around the house so much, I tryed them both at the same time and was happy with what I saw. It was a bit difficult to fit everything in there. The Carbon Fiber was a sqaure sample from 3M that I had laying around for years now. I used a Uni-Bit and lots of pataince and measuring to make it fit just right. I'll get some beamshots up in the next couple of days.

Heres the Pics.....

005-2.jpg

017-4.jpg

017-3.jpg

018-3.jpg

015-2.jpg

022-1.jpg

Last edited:

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would look so amazing on my G23 :D

Ahem....how much? :devil:

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice! :twothumbs

Are the leds wired in series?
What's the battery configuration?

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have this running on an L5 body and 2-stage tailcap. I used the stock SF C-M adaptor from my KL3 to mate the KL2 with the L5 body.

Yes, the LEDs are wired in series.

I'll try to get some beamshots tonight if I get time. I made this head mainly for clearing rooms. It was made for the indoors. I have no doubt it will be great outside as well, but it's intended purpose was to illuminate an entire room---BRIGHTLY!...which it does, Very Well:devil:

009-5.jpg

008-3.jpg

005-5.jpg

Here, I tried to show the dispersion of the beam....Lots of flood and decent throw:thumbsup:

014-2.jpg

Last edited:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's amazing. Any casual estimates on price if I were to supply the head and opt out of the carbon fiber disk?

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have this running on an L5 body and 2-stage tailcap. I used the stock SF C-M adaptor from my KL3 to mate the KL2 with the L5 body.

Yes, the LEDs are wired in series.

I'll try to get some beamshots tonight if I get time. I made this head mainly for clearing rooms. It was made for the indoors. I have no doubt it will be great outside as well, but it's intended purpose was to illuminate an entire room---BRIGHTLY!...which it does, Very Well:devil:

009-5.jpg

008-3.jpg

005-5.jpg

Here, I tried to show the dispersion of the beam....Lots of flood and decent throw:thumbsup:
001-1.jpg

014-2.jpg

What a fantastic mod! It is not safe in Michican, it needs to be sent to Florida immediately as modifications like this one cannot be fully appreciated that far North:wave:

What would it do if you used Cree's for the surround instead of Seoul's?

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wowsers. This is the kind of mod I would be happy to have on my L5.

Is your host black HA? Or just how it looks in the pic?

I'm glad to see such a buff light being used for real world application though, i.e. with an LEO. Very nice.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice!

How did you work on the carbon fiber?? It seems perfectly machined

It was a sample peice from 3M. All I did was drill holes in it and cut and shape the main diameter. I was happy with how it turned out:grin2:

The KL2 is Natual Grey HA finish, not black...

Last edited:

ICUDoc

Enlightened
Looks very nice DaFABRICATA. What peak current do the LEDs see?
Was the heatsink mad by you or is there one in the KL2? Was the heatsink hard to taper to fit along the wall of the head? I am thinking of doing something like this in a Turbohead...

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
ICUDoc, Thanks for the compliment! I have the shark backed down just a little from full current, I think full is about 1000mA. I made the heatsink out of 3 aluminum scraps I had laying around. The top heatsink is about 1/2" thick, the middle is about 3/8" thick and the bottom is about 1/8".
I TIG welded the top 2 discs together and the bottom is drilled and tapped for the bottom plate that holds the emitter for the reflectored LED. It is an extremely tight fit in there. The POT on the Shark is oriented so that it is accessable though a hole I drilled in one of the 4 holes on the bottom plate. I can adjust it if needed without taking it all back apart, all I have to do is pull the heat off.
I will be doing another KT4 build very soon. I already have a KT4 host, and I have a few P7's being dropped off tomarrow from friend in the industry....:devil:

Last edited:

ICUDoc

Enlightened
Thanks DaFAB.
I just took delivery of a mill and a lathe so I will try to make up a heatsink to fit my KT4 from 2" Al stock.
Impressive to be able to TIG weld such small bits- sounds like fun. Good idea with the pot accessibility hole- I might try that.
Thanks again.
Hey WILL wquiles- how nice to see you around.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome job :thumbsup:

How is the Shark doing boosting that much voltage I assume you using 2x R123's??? How many Amps are you pulling at the tailcap?

Thanks Mac

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazing job! I am working on something similar right now, but mine will definitely not look this nice! Any chance you'd make another heatsink like that one? :)

schiesz

Latest posts