Newb - first serious purchase Nitecore Defender

hammerface

Newly Enlightened
Well, after much deliberation and hours of reading here on CPF I bit the bullet and decided to go for the Nitecore Defender Infinity!!! The only other light I have is the Arc AAA-P - and while awesome, I CAN'T WAIT to see what the nitecore is like as I have never even seen a light of this calibre in real life!!

I really liked the use of AA batteries as with having a 2 year old, we have a HUGE amount of AA's on hand so it only seems logical. I almost went with the Fenix L2D CE Q5 but wanted something a bit smaller for EDC. I will however likely order the L2D for a "household" light. And maybe a T1 for the garage and/or a P3D for the night stand...

Good lord, what have I become...:crazy:

Regardless, just a thanks to everyone for all the info and reviews that helps/complicated my decision :)

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the used one unless you don't mind waiting. I believe Tadgear is still out of stock.

I like mine. It almost seems hypnotic to me. I can't put it down. I never go anywhere without it. It just has a beautiful beam. Now if they can get the lumens up to around 200 it will be the perfect AA light.

Bill

hammerface

Newly Enlightened
I ordered one off the 'bay - Crenshaw posted a link to some listed for a decent price so I jumped at it as it had free shipping and I always seem to miss the good sale items here on CPF cause you guys are too darn quick ;)

mwaldron

Enlightened
I almost bought the CPFM one this morning, but I picked up a 3rd A2 yesterday and that was the budget for this month so I had to pass.

I'm amazed that NDI has lasted this long without a sale, people have been near rabid for them for the last few months.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy hammerface, and welcome to CPF,
First of all, congratulations on purchasing the NDI. The fit and finish on this little jewel are superb.... really a nice little light.

However, it's important you understand that while it will work perfectly well with alkaline AA batteries (a real plus), it won't achieve anywhere near it's full brightness potential until you step up to NiMh rechargeable cells, or at the least, lithium based primary AA cells (like Engergizer e squared).

Here is a great little setup that is quite popular:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IV0REA/?tag=cpf0b6-20

You might also be able to find that at Circuit City or Costo, but be sure that any package you buy lists the model number as GES-MQN05-4, as this has the charger that allows you to charge individual batteries as well as 4 at once (as well as giving each battery it's own charging channel).

Ok, enjoy your new light!

hammerface

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info guys!

I'll run E2's or maybe AA Lithiums to start (are the E2 lithium or just better alkaline?) See how many batteries I go through. If I start using a lot (which I'm sure I will at first cause I'll be playing with it) then I'll pick up a charger.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Better alkalines are still alkalines. I'd suggest rechargeable batteries if you use the light a lot, or lithiums of you won't use it often.

pbs357

Enlightened
Lithium batts will last longer, both in storage and on the runtime curve. Best flat output and runtime though is li-ion rechargeables. They can last a month or two without losing much voltage, but I charge mine up about every 6 weeks just to top them off. Each "top off" charge takes no more than 30 minutes. Alkaline AA's are an unbeatable solution for emergency option, but do the light right with lithium or li-ions. PS - I'm LOVE my NDI! :twothumbs

hammerface

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm, well it appears the battery thing is a bit more complicated than I anticipated. I read a bunch on CPF but I think I'm just more confused. Now I'm looking at LSD rechargeable AA eneloops, 14500 cells (which I'm not entirely exactly sure I even understand what they are) and I'm trying to determine what I'm gonna use in the NDI when I actually get it.

I've looked at cheap bulk lithium AA's but don't want them to "explode" so I think I'll just buy a bunch of energizer e2 lithiums and not worry about rechargeables at this point :)

Will that be ok for this light?

smg

Newly Enlightened
I totally agree, the whole battery topic can be a research endeavor on its own!! I consider myself a newbie too, but maybe I can chime in with the things I have learned in the past few months....

The e2 lithiums will work great for the NDI. You will get much better regulation, greater output, and better runtimes than alkaline. The place where the e2 does exceptionally well is in long-term storage and infrequent-use conditions. It holds its charge in storage for a very long time. However, they are pricey and, when one cell is done, it's done (non-rechargeable).

You know about alkalines, so I'll skip that and move on to NiMH. This is a very good and safe option for the NDI. It will offer more output and longer runtimes than alkaline. The drawback is fast self-discharge rates (worse than alkaline). This means that, when the cell sits unused, it loses charge. My suggestion is to move away from standard NiMH and go to LSD NiMH. Cells like the Eneloop (2000mAh) do not have the very high capacity of some of the standard NiMH batteries (2500mAh and up), but they will hold their charge longer and remain usable for many more recharge cycles. There are other companies that make LSD cells, so take a look around. They will work on standard NiMH chargers.

Li-ion ...a little knowledge goes a long way. These batteries are not bombs, but they need to be treated in a certain way. Do some reading on the topic. When using a good, protected cell, and well designed charger, and you respect the charge/discharge rate-limits as well as the min/max voltage limits, they provide a great option for very high output, very good regulation, and very long runtimes (in the NDI and other lights), along with the value of a rechargeable.

Others, feel free to critique my advice if there's something missing. I think the NDI is a great light! Oh, and welcome.

fireblast713

Newly Enlightened
That is a nice first like, I bought my first "real" light recently a Fenix P2D which is pretty nice, but the NDI is on a whole nother level I've heard. After looking at it it's defn. on my to buy list, just gotta save up some $$$ first. Being broke sucks heh

Abumustafa

Enlightened
+1 on the NDI its an amazing light mayb not as bright as some competitors e.g L1D Q5 or Olight T15 but what you get is a well made sexy looking light with amazing output mine even goes to bed with me the wife is jealous :crackup:!

Just wanted to Add i invested in some USB Nimhs a while ago those that charge with your PCs USB slot just wanted ask if any1 else is usin them an if there suitable for the NDI an do bring out the full brightness of this Nitecore beast!!!

:sssh:

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
That is a nice first like, I bought my first "real" light recently a Fenix P2D which is pretty nice, but the NDI is on a whole nother level I've heard.

I have neither but if you think NDI is on a whole another level than P2D, I think you will be sadly disappointed. Don't missunderstand me, they are both great lights but have different form factor and different power source.

- Vikas

hammerface

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone! I just ordered 3 - 4-packs of Energizer AA Lithiums for now. I found them on the bay for $10 pack shipped - if I buy them locally they are $19 + gst per 4-pack!

If I buy more AA or AAA powered lights, I will invest in an eneloop and charger system at that time.

Now.... just have to be patient and wait for the NDI to get to Canada ... from Hong Kong.... I HATE WAITING! ;)