Solarforce SF6-R2 Battery Life

Longballsd

Banned
I have searched and looked all over for how long the batteries will last in this light but to no avail. I realize that this is a new light but was just wonering if any of you know the answer.

I am going to use this as a multi purpose light including the possibility of attaching it to an AR15 for night shooting (which is why I want something in the 180+ lumen capability)

Also, I am looking at the Fenix T1, Olight T20 & Olight T20 tactical which I know cost more than the Solarforce. I figure for $35 or so I can try out the Solarforce and if it doesn't work out I don't have a big investment and I can use it for just around the house, truck etc. and just buy the Fenix or Olight for the AR.

How many modes are there on the light also would be nice to know and what the settings are. Thanks.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have searched and looked all over for how long the batteries will last in this light but to no avail. I realize that this is a new light but was just wonering if any of you know the answer.

I am going to use this as a multi purpose light including the possibility of attaching it to an AR15 for night shooting (which is why I want something in the 180+ lumen capability)

Also, I am looking at the Fenix T1, Olight T20 & Olight T20 tactical which I know cost more than the Solarforce. I figure for $35 or so I can try out the Solarforce and if it doesn't work out I don't have a big investment and I can use it for just around the house, truck etc. and just buy the Fenix or Olight for the AR.

How many modes are there on the light also would be nice to know and what the settings are. Thanks.

The Solarforce "SF6" is their L2 model which is basically an inexpensive clone of the Surefire 6P (the best one on the market in my opinion) and so runtime will be dictated by the P60LED module that is being used along with battery type. Typically, these aftermarket P60LED dropins have anywhere from 1 to 2 hrs of runtime on 2 standard CR123 batteries and my guess is that the Solarforce version probably falls somewhere in between.

Longballsd

Banned
The Solarforce "SF6" is their L2 model which is basically an inexpensive clone of the Surefire 6P (the best one on the market in my opinion) and so runtime will be dictated by the P60LED module that is being used along with battery type. Typically, these aftermarket P60LED dropins have anywhere from 1 to 2 hrs of runtime on 2 standard CR123 batteries and my guess is that the Solarforce version probably falls somewhere in between.

So it's going to have the same runtime as the Fenix T1. I guess the next question is the T1 going to be worth the extra $40-$45?? Will it last longer? Is the T1 build that much better?

I don't mind spending the extra money if it's worth it. I was just going to buy the T1 and be done with it for awhile and then I saw the Solarforce. If the T1 has twice the quality etc. then I don't mind buying it.

Thanks

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
So it's going to have the same runtime as the Fenix T1. I guess the next question is the T1 going to be worth the extra $40-$45?? Will it last longer? Is the T1 build that much better?

I don't mind spending the extra money if it's worth it. I was just going to buy the T1 and be done with it for awhile and then I saw the Solarforce. If the T1 has twice the quality etc. then I don't mind buying it.

Thanks

Well that really depends on what you're looking for. The Fenix T1 is a nice light, is of good quality and has some good features. To me, since the Solarforce "SF6" L2 flashlight is a clone of the Surefire 6P, it is Surefire C (or classic) series compatible and so there is ALOT of custom parts that will fit this flashlight. The build quality of the Solarforce L2 is actually quite good. It doesn't have the Type III anodization that the Fenix T1 has, but its Type II coating is still quite good and is on par with the glossy black Type II anodized finish you get with a black Maglite. Also since it uses a standard P60 module, you essentially can upgrade it for as long as P60 dropins are made. If you want multiple modes, there are also P60 dropins configured to do so. And if you want ultimate performance, you could also use the highly touted Malkoff Devices M60 dropins with the Solarforce. When it comes to variety and versatility, you can't get any better than a flashlight in the Surefire Classic format and the Solarforce L2 gives you that opportunity at a really affordable price.

Of course you could just go with the flashaholic's creed and get both flashlights...

generic808

Enlightened
If you're going to spend $35 on a Solarforce, why not just spend $7 more and get yourself the oringinal Surefire 6P? You can always add whatever drop-in you wish, like the DX 6090 (my favorite "cheap" cree drop-in)which only cost $10. So for $52 you'll have a great set-up. And not to mention the absolutely wonderful lifetime warranty on the Surefire.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're going to spend $35 on a Solarforce, why not just spend $7 more and get yourself the oringinal Surefire 6P? You can always add whatever drop-in you wish, like the DX 6090 (my favorite "cheap" cree drop-in)which only cost $10. So for $52 you'll have a great set-up. And not to mention the absolutely wonderful lifetime warranty on the Surefire.

Well I think the $35 Solarforce L2 he's talking about includes either a Cree Q5 or R2 dropin. Last I checked, there's no way you'll find an actual Surefire 6P for with a Cree Q5 or R2 dropin for $7 more. If you do indeed get a 6P and a Q5/R2 dropin together, the final price would actually be somewhere around $60-$65. My Solarforce dropin costed me $21 + $42 I spent on a 6P makes $63. I've actually seen the Solarforce L2 with Cree R2 dropin for $30 shipped online. And if you just want to get the L2 Xenon version, there's an ebay dealer that sells it for around $15 shipped. Like I said before, the Solarforce L2 is probably the best Surefire 6P clone you could get at the price.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am intervening a bit off topic, nevertheless....

has anyone dissasembled the L2 switch, what does look like?
1 2 3 or 4 ?

thanks, Kostas

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am intervening a bit off topic, nevertheless....

has anyone dissasembled the L2 switch, what does look like?
1 2 3 or 4 ?

thanks, Kostas

From what I remember, it looks similar to Sku# 5632 (1). The standard L2 switch is a reverse clicky and therefore works better with the multi-mode dropins, but I've also seen forward clicky Solarforce tailcaps on Ebay too. But the price the price they sell for, you mine as well spend a little more and get either an actual Surefire Z59 or Leef McClicky tailcap.

Longballsd

Banned

Thanks for this post because I have actually thought about doing that. It seems to me that the extra $17 is worth the lifetime warranty.

Longballsd

Banned
Well I think the $35 Solarforce L2 he's talking about includes either a Cree Q5 or R2 dropin.

Yes, the ones I'm looking at have either the Cree Q5 dropin and/or the R2 drop in. Both are actually about the same price, around $30-$35.

There are so many variations of the Solarforce, at least the ones on Ebay that it starts to make your head spin. 3 modes, 5 modes, strobe or no strob, 220 lumens, 270 lumens, 295 lumens.

The information they provide on Ebay is severely inadequate and it's hard to find any domestic dealers of these new products to ask the questions you want answered, a sign that technology is moving REALLY fast.

I think most people would be willing to pay more knowing they are getting exactly what they want. Then again, I'm sure it's hard translating from Chinese to English or any other language for that matter.

I'm still wffling over the Solarforces, Fenix T1 & the Olight T20 tactical and as somebody mentioned it might be a reason to buy a couple of them at once.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I remember, it looks similar to Sku# 5632 (1). The standard L2 switch is a reverse clicky and therefore works better with the multi-mode dropins, but I've also seen forward clicky Solarforce tailcaps on Ebay too. But the price the price they sell for, you mine as well spend a little more and get either an actual Surefire Z59 or Leef McClicky tailcap.

thanks man for the input...I have already a stock of replacement of the kind....

Regarding Solarforce variation I have e-mailed them requesting more info and really hope I get an answer...

ll the best, Kostas

bessiebenny

Enlightened
Just going back to topic.

I'm running the brightness/runtime test right now on it. (SF6-R2)
You'll see my review updated when finished. Around 2-3 hours. =)

btw, it pulls 0.4A from 2 x RCR123A each charged to 4.2v.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just going back to topic.

I'm running the brightness/runtime test right now on it. (SF6-R2)
You'll see my review updated when finished. Around 2-3 hours. =)

btw, it pulls 0.4A from 2 x RCR123A each charged to 4.2v.

Then apparently the Solarforce modules have better runtime performance than the $10 ones that DX sells...I think I remember someone here doing a runtime test on two of the DX dropins and the results were from 1 to 2 hours (I think).

Although if you're looking to get this flashlight on the total cheap, you can get the Xenon Solarforce L2 for $16 shipped and the $10 DX 6090 module. So for $26, it's worth playing with.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Solarforce-L2-X...ZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6090

bessiebenny

Enlightened
I'm 85 minutes into the test now. Kept it's initial full brightness so far.
No drops yet. Actually, it keeps going up a little bit every minute. =P
So the regulation on this light seems excellent so far. Not bad!!

btw, on Ebay, you can get this SF6-R2 for $34 delivered. Decent price imo.

Last edited:

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm 85 minutes into the test now. Kept it's initial full brightness so far.
No drops yet. Actually, it keeps going up a little bit every minute. =P
So the regulation on this light seems excellent so far. Not bad!!

btw, on Ebay, you can get this SF6-R2 for $34 delivered. Decent price imo.

As I've been saying all along that Solarforce makes pretty good products that are also relatively low priced.

Yeah, ebay dealer itc_shop sells the complete Solarforce L2 with CreeXRE R2 module for $34:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Solarforce-295-...yZ106987QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've ordered the stainless steel bezeled heads from this company before and they seem to be a reliable ebay dealer.

sims2k

Enlightened
I also ordered from itc_shop and the latest email from them shows that I will be getting my L2 by 03-11. Just want to see if it outshines the RC-F4 and Conqueror C1.

bessiebenny

Enlightened
sims2k - the one that I have outshines the RC-F4 in throw.
But in my lightbox test, it was dimmer. So it's no killer light.

UPDATE - I have updated my review with the runtime graph of SF6-R2! :D

Here it is for easier viewing.

solarforcesf6r2ng5.gif

Last edited:

Longballsd

Banned
As I've been saying all along that Solarforce makes pretty good products that are also relatively low priced.

Yeah, ebay dealer itc_shop sells the complete Solarforce L2 with CreeXRE R2 module for $34:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Solarforce-295-...yZ106987QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've ordered the stainless steel bezeled heads from this company before and they seem to be a reliable ebay dealer.

Ace,

It doesn't say how many modes this light has nor does it say the lumen power for each mode, do you know what it is?

One of the Solarforces (not this one) has 5 modes:

125 lumens for 2 hrs
195 lumens for 1.3 hrs
295 lumens for 1 hr
Strobe 45 min
SOS 45 min

I think I'd rather have a high power and then something like a 100 or 80 with more battery life. I think having 295 and 195 modes on the same light is overkill.