AA MagLite worth the money?

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few years ago I purchased a TeraLux module for a AA Mag. It's considerably brighter than the xenon. The focus was for crap, so I put a diffuser lens on it. It makes a good up close flood light. Are the new MagLite LED's going to be any better than my TeraLux mod?

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Magled's are more focusable, but then again, so are the newer terralux dropins. I could have gotten a fluke though with the terralux.

I haven't seen a documented shootout on here.

I really can't say a magled is worth the money.

generic808

Enlightened
For the price of a MagLED, you could get a bunch of better, brighter AA lights.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a MiniMagLED in the 2xAA and 3xAA sizes, and they are ok, but mostly just sit on a shelf. I use my standard MiniMags with LED drop-ins a lot more than the LED's from Mag. I've got at least 8 or 10 different LED drop-ins from Inretec, Opalec, Terralux, Nite-Ize, and the Sandwich Shoppe.

bp044

Enlightened
I've got a MiniMagLED in the 2xAA and 3xAA sizes, and they are ok, but mostly just sit on a shelf. I use my standard MiniMags with LED drop-ins a lot more than the LED's from Mag. I've got at least 8 or 10 different LED drop-ins from Inretec, Opalec, Terralux, Nite-Ize, and the Sandwich Shoppe.
which of the MiniMag drop-ins do you like the best ?

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
which of the MiniMag drop-ins do you like the best ?
Hard to pick just one that is the "best", I like the fact that there are so many different choices for different purposes. I like the Nite-Ize because it is cheap and offers a decent amount of light with long runtime, but the Terralux Cree drop-in has great output at the sacrifice of some runtime and poor heat management. The Inretechs and Sandwich Shop drop-ins that I have are older and not the latest technology, but are probably my all-around favorites, but that might be partly because I've had them for so long and they've been through a lot with me. Can't go wrong with one of the Terralux drop-ins IMO.

bp044

Enlightened
Hard to pick just one that is the "best", I like the fact that there are so many different choices for different purposes. I like the Nite-Ize because it is cheap and offers a decent amount of light with long runtime, but the Terralux Cree drop-in has great output at the sacrifice of some runtime and poor heat management. The Inretechs and Sandwich Shop drop-ins that I have are older and not the latest technology, but are probably my all-around favorites, but that might be partly because I've had them for so long and they've been through a lot with me. Can't go wrong with one of the Terralux drop-ins IMO.
Will all of the above work well with Eneloop's ?

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a Nite-Ize
The old Opalec is 3 5mm LED's. Not very bright.
The Terralux Cree. It's okay. Could be brighter if it had a heatsink.
Inretech. The old ones were ho-hum.
Sandwich Shop. So many to choose from. I like them. I'm waiting for the Cree Drop-in from them.

I would think they all could be run with Eneloops.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a Cree Terralux, and my friend's got a 2AA MagLED. The official one's maybe a bit brighter, but I have an IQ tailcap (with it's damnable inline resistor) throwing that off. The official one definitely has less artifacts in the beam and is generally smoother. However, the Terralux made the Maglite stop gathering dust, so it was worth it to me.

I'd not buy a new Mag, I'd buy another Jetbeam or something.